The Inflationary Big Bang Model
The inflationary big bang theory is, by far, the most accepted theory of the origin of the universe. All evidence gathered to date supports this theory. Other theories rely upon sets of unlikely circumstances or phenomenon which can never be tested or proven.
Big Bang Timeline
- 0 second to 10-43 second. Only God knows or can know what happened during this period of time. We know only that at least 9 dimensions of space existed as what is called singularity. All of the universe-to-be existed as a point of no volume. Time as we know it was created.
- 10-43 second, also known as Planck time. This is the point at which gravity, one of the four unified forces, became separate from the remaining three forces.
- 10-36 second. The strong nuclear force (the force that holds the nuclei of atoms together) separated from the other three unified forces.
- 10-36 to 10-32 second. Immediately following and triggered by the separation of the strong nuclear force, the universe expanded rapidly for this brief period of time.
- 10-32 to 10-5 second. The universe is filled with quarks, antiquarks, and electrons. The quarks and antiquarks combine and annihilate each other. Quarks are in excess of antiquarks by a ratio of 1,000,000,001 to 1,000,000,000. The remaining quarks will make up all the matter that exists in the universe.
- 10-12 second. The final two unified forces split from one another. Electromagnetism, which controls the attraction of negatively and positively charged particles, becomes separate from the weak nuclear force, which controls radioactive decay.
- 10-5 second. The universe cools to 1,000,000,000,000°K allowing quarks to combine to form protons and neutrons, the building blocks of atomic nuclei.
- 1 second to 3 minutes. The universe continues to cool, allowing protons and neutrons to combine to form the nuclei of future atoms.
- 10-32 second to 3000 years. Electromagnetic energy, produced during the annihilation of quarks and antiquarks, dominates the forces of gravity.
- 3000 years to present. Matter becomes the primary source of gravity. Matter begins to clump with the aid of large amounts of exotic or dark matter. This matter interacts weakly with electromagnetic energy, but is able to clump with itself through gravity, even during the domination of electromagnetic energy.
- 300,000 years. Continued expansion and cooling allow matter and electromagnetic energy to decouple. The nuclei of atoms are able to capture electrons to form complete atoms of hydrogen, helium and lithium.
- 200,000,000 years. Galaxy formation begins as matter continues to clump.
- 9,000,000,000 years. The solar system forms.
- 10,000,000,000 years. Life begins on earth.
- 13,700,000,000 years.1 Jesus Christ conquers sin.
- There is Too Much Evil and Suffering For God to Exist?
- Where is God When Bad Things Happen? Why Natural Evil Must Exist
- Haiti Earthquake Kills Over 200,000: Where was God?
- Southeast Asia Earthquake and Tsunami: Where was God?
- Where was God During the World Trade Center Attack?
- If God Existed, Prayer Would Have Brought World Peace?
- D. N. Spergel, R. Bean, O. Doré, M. R. Nolta, C. L. Bennett, J. Dunkley, G. Hinshaw, N. Jarosik, E. Komatsu, L. Page, H. V. Peiris, L. Verde, M. Halpern, R. S. Hill, A. Kogut, M. Limon, S. S. Meyer, N. Odegard, G. S. Tucker, J. L. Weiland, E. Wollack, E. L. Wright. 2007. Wilkinson Microwave Anisotropy Probe (WMAP) Three Year Results: Implications for Cosmology. Astrophysics arXiv:astro-ph/0603449v2.
Today's New Reason to Believe
Integrating Science and Faith
- 12/09/2013 02:48 AM
Paleoanthropologists Fail to Find Common Ancestor to Modern Humans and Neanderthals
Recently, paleoanthropologists from the US and Europe sought to identify the common ancestor of modern humans and Neanderthals by reconstructing dental features of this putative species. Comparison of the reconstructed dental anatomy with that of known hominids failed to find a match. Based on this study, it looks as if the most reasonable candidates (H. … Read more
- 12/05/2013 02:45 AM
Was Charles Darwin a Confident Evolutionist?
It may be surprising to learn that the father of modern evolutionary theory had doubts about his proposed explanation for lifeâ€™s diversity. In an article entitled â€śDarwinâ€™s Doubt,â€ť I address Charles Darwinâ€™s worries about the philosophical implications of his biological theory. For example, he wrote: With me the horrid doubt always arises whether the convictions … Read more
- 11/28/2013 02:05 AM
Thankful for Comets
Gazing upon the night sky during this holiday season may bring a glimpse of a comet that could put on an impressive display. Through Thanksgiving week, comet ISON (known as C/2012 S1 in more formal lingo) will head toward the Sun. If it survives the pass around the Sun without disintegrating, the comet may end … Read more
- 11/25/2013 02:57 AM
Multiverse Musings: Is It Testable?
People regularly question whether the multiverse belongs in the arena of scientific investigation. The answers often center on a key query: Is the multiverse testable? Those within the scientific community respond to this concern with different answers. Some say yes, some say no. Certain aspects of the multiverse remain beyond our ability to test currently … Read more
- 11/21/2013 02:01 AM
TNRTB Classic: Removing Language Barriers in Bible Translation
Each human language has strengths and weaknesses. The size of its vocabulary gives English great strength. Nearly 4 million words (including species names and biochemical terms) compare to just several thousand each in biblical Hebrew and Greek. This great strength is also a weakness with respect to Bible translation, however, because English is so dynamic … Read more
- 11/18/2013 02:19 AM
Biblical Genealogies Revisited: Further Evidence of Gaps
Calculations based on genealogies recorded in Genesis 5, 10, and 11 help form the foundation for the belief in a young earth. However, guest writers Dan Dyke and Hugh Henry argue that the relationships listed in these genealogies may indicate more general ancestor-descendant relationships (rather than parent-child relationships), thus implying that there are gaps in … Read more
- 11/14/2013 02:48 AM
High Levels of Pseudogene Expression Help Silence the Case for Common Descent
Based on a study of cells derived from 13 different tissue types, researchers have demonstrated that pseudogenes are expressed at high levels. These high levels of expression indicate the central importance of pseudogenes in cell differentiation and the progression of cancers. As researchers continue to uncover function for pseudogenes, their interpretation as molecular fossils in … Read more
- 11/11/2013 02:20 AM
Global Distribution of Herpes Simplex Virus Supports Biblical Account of Human Origins
According to a recent study, the genetic variability of a worldwide sample of type I herpes simplex viral strains (HSV-1) provides independent support for the Out-of-Africa hypothesis for human originsâ€”and along with it, added credibility for the biblical account of humanityâ€™s beginnings. **** We have entered cold and flu season. This time of the year … Read more
- 11/07/2013 02:19 AM
Was B. B. Warfield a Theistic Evolutionist? Part 2
In recent years, the interpretation of theologian B. B. Warfield as a theistic evolutionist has gained popularityâ€”but there is good justification for questioning this assertion. In this two-part article series, I will explore the compelling reasons to doubt the validity of this view of Warfield. **** Part 1 of this series set the stage for … Read more
- 11/04/2013 02:43 AM
Was B. B. Warfield a Theistic Evolutionist? Part 1
In recent years, the interpretation of theologian B. B. Warfield as a theistic evolutionist has gained popularityâ€”but there is good justification for questioning this assertion. In this two-part article series, I will explore the compelling reasons to doubt the validity of this view of Warfield. **** In the ongoing controversy over special creation and theistic … Read more
Last Modified June 16, 2006