The Inflationary Big Bang Model
The inflationary big bang theory is, by far, the most accepted theory of the origin of the universe. All evidence gathered to date supports this theory. Other theories rely upon sets of unlikely circumstances or phenomenon which can never be tested or proven.
Big Bang Timeline
- 0 second to 10-43 second. Only God knows or can know what happened during this period of time. We know only that at least 9 dimensions of space existed as what is called singularity. All of the universe-to-be existed as a point of no volume. Time as we know it was created.
- 10-43 second, also known as Planck time. This is the point at which gravity, one of the four unified forces, became separate from the remaining three forces.
- 10-36 second. The strong nuclear force (the force that holds the nuclei of atoms together) separated from the other three unified forces.
- 10-36 to 10-32 second. Immediately following and triggered by the separation of the strong nuclear force, the universe expanded rapidly for this brief period of time.
- 10-32 to 10-5 second. The universe is filled with quarks, antiquarks, and electrons. The quarks and antiquarks combine and annihilate each other. Quarks are in excess of antiquarks by a ratio of 1,000,000,001 to 1,000,000,000. The remaining quarks will make up all the matter that exists in the universe.
- 10-12 second. The final two unified forces split from one another. Electromagnetism, which controls the attraction of negatively and positively charged particles, becomes separate from the weak nuclear force, which controls radioactive decay.
- 10-5 second. The universe cools to 1,000,000,000,000°K allowing quarks to combine to form protons and neutrons, the building blocks of atomic nuclei.
- 1 second to 3 minutes. The universe continues to cool, allowing protons and neutrons to combine to form the nuclei of future atoms.
- 10-32 second to 3000 years. Electromagnetic energy, produced during the annihilation of quarks and antiquarks, dominates the forces of gravity.
- 3000 years to present. Matter becomes the primary source of gravity. Matter begins to clump with the aid of large amounts of exotic or dark matter. This matter interacts weakly with electromagnetic energy, but is able to clump with itself through gravity, even during the domination of electromagnetic energy.
- 300,000 years. Continued expansion and cooling allow matter and electromagnetic energy to decouple. The nuclei of atoms are able to capture electrons to form complete atoms of hydrogen, helium and lithium.
- 200,000,000 years. Galaxy formation begins as matter continues to clump.
- 9,000,000,000 years. The solar system forms.
- 10,000,000,000 years. Life begins on earth.
- 13,700,000,000 years.1 Jesus Christ conquers sin.
- There is Too Much Evil and Suffering For God to Exist?
- Where is God When Bad Things Happen? Why Natural Evil Must Exist
- Haiti Earthquake Kills Over 200,000: Where was God?
- Southeast Asia Earthquake and Tsunami: Where was God?
- Where was God During the World Trade Center Attack?
- If God Existed, Prayer Would Have Brought World Peace?
- D. N. Spergel, R. Bean, O. Doré, M. R. Nolta, C. L. Bennett, J. Dunkley, G. Hinshaw, N. Jarosik, E. Komatsu, L. Page, H. V. Peiris, L. Verde, M. Halpern, R. S. Hill, A. Kogut, M. Limon, S. S. Meyer, N. Odegard, G. S. Tucker, J. L. Weiland, E. Wollack, E. L. Wright. 2007. Wilkinson Microwave Anisotropy Probe (WMAP) Three Year Results: Implications for Cosmology. Astrophysics arXiv:astro-ph/0603449v2.
Today's New Reason to Believe
Integrating Science and Faith
- 11/27/2014 02:38 AM
Thankful for Scientific Advances
My family frequently goes on camping trips over Thanksgiving week to enjoy the spectacular creation in which we live. Weâ€™ve seen Californiaâ€™s giant sequoia trees, the Pacific coast, and the majestic mountains of Zion National Park in Utah. Even with the chilly weather, the opportunity to witness these impressive sights always elicits a response of … Continue reading
- 11/24/2014 02:49 AM
How to Prepare Earth for Animals
Most larger construction projects usually include one critical step when multiple things have to come together at the right time and in the right way. When building an addition onto the back of my house, that step occurred when erecting the walls. In the span of a day, the three walls were framed, balanced on … Continue reading
- 11/20/2014 02:06 AM
Tuberculosis Study Could Help Us Understand How Disease Spreads
The latest Ebola outbreak has elicited a lot of fearâ€”justifiably so. The potential for a pandemic highlights the critical need for epidemiologists to understand the origin and spread of human pathogens. The Ebola scare also raises difficult questions of a theological nature. How could a good God, who is all-powerful and â€“knowing, create a world … Continue reading
- 11/17/2014 02:38 AM
Is the Whale Pelvis a Vestige of Evolution?
Youâ€™ve heard about the elephant in the roomâ€”but what if the elephant is a whale? I distinctly remember feeling uneasiness when I came upon a blue whale skeleton hanging from the ceiling in the Museum of Natural History in London. It wasnâ€™t the skeletonâ€™s massive size that caused my disquietâ€”it was the small pelvic and … Continue reading
- 11/13/2014 02:44 AM
RTB Scholarsâ€™ Thoughts on Pope Francis and Evolution
Pope Francis drew some media attention last month for his reiteration of the decades-old Catholic endorsement of the big bang theory and evolution as a means of creation. The Washington Post summarized the popeâ€™s statements:1 The pontiff appeared to endorse the theory of the Big Bang and told the gathering at the Vatican that there … Continue reading
- 11/10/2014 02:56 AM
Godâ€™s Goodness and the Ebola Virus
Prior to this year, the Ebola virus was an obscure pathogen that rarely grabbed a slice of attention. Now itâ€™s front-page news. All over the globe, the overwhelming response to Ebola has been fear. But this virusâ€™ lethality to humans also makes some people wonder about Godâ€™s goodness. How could a loving Creator, who is … Continue reading
- 11/06/2014 02:11 AM
Q&A: Did the Sumerian Kings Reign for 10,000 Years?
From Jeff in Lake Ozark, MO In your book The Genesis Question (p. 117), you mention ten kings of Sumer who lived before a â€śgreat delugeâ€ť in ancient Mesopotamia. The eye-catching aspect of these kings is that each kingâ€™s reign exceeded 10,000 years, with one attaining nearly 50,000 years! The life spans of these kings … Continue reading
- 11/03/2014 02:09 AM
Q&A: How Did the Nephilim Reappear after the Flood?
Roger in Grand Junction, Colorado After reading your chapter in Navigating Genesis about the Nephilim I still have some questions. Genesis 6:4 reads, â€śThe Nephilim were on the earth in those days and also afterward when the sons of God went to the daughters of humans and had children by them. They were the heroes … Continue reading
- 10/30/2014 02:59 AM
Q&A: Does the Book of Revelation Hint at a Multiverse?
From Jeremiah in Vancouver, Washington Hello Reasons staff, Revelation 21:1 says, â€śThen I saw a new heaven and a new earth, for the first heaven and the first earth had passed awayâ€ť (NIV). Do you think that this could be hinting at the possibility of a multiverse? **** Great question, Jeremiah! I think the â€śnew … Continue reading
- 10/27/2014 02:33 AM
What Are the Odds of You Being You?
For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my motherâ€™s womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well. â€” Psalm 139:13â€“14 When anticipating the birth of a childâ€”be it our own or a grandchild, niece or nephewâ€”we might find ourselves … Continue reading
Last Modified June 16, 2006