The Inflationary Big Bang Model
The inflationary big bang theory is, by far, the most accepted theory of the origin of the universe. All evidence gathered to date supports this theory. Other theories rely upon sets of unlikely circumstances or phenomenon which can never be tested or proven.
Big Bang Timeline
- 0 second to 10-43 second. Only God knows or can know what happened during this period of time. We know only that at least 9 dimensions of space existed as what is called singularity. All of the universe-to-be existed as a point of no volume. Time as we know it was created.
- 10-43 second, also known as Planck time. This is the point at which gravity, one of the four unified forces, became separate from the remaining three forces.
- 10-36 second. The strong nuclear force (the force that holds the nuclei of atoms together) separated from the other three unified forces.
- 10-36 to 10-32 second. Immediately following and triggered by the separation of the strong nuclear force, the universe expanded rapidly for this brief period of time.
- 10-32 to 10-5 second. The universe is filled with quarks, antiquarks, and electrons. The quarks and antiquarks combine and annihilate each other. Quarks are in excess of antiquarks by a ratio of 1,000,000,001 to 1,000,000,000. The remaining quarks will make up all the matter that exists in the universe.
- 10-12 second. The final two unified forces split from one another. Electromagnetism, which controls the attraction of negatively and positively charged particles, becomes separate from the weak nuclear force, which controls radioactive decay.
- 10-5 second. The universe cools to 1,000,000,000,000°K allowing quarks to combine to form protons and neutrons, the building blocks of atomic nuclei.
- 1 second to 3 minutes. The universe continues to cool, allowing protons and neutrons to combine to form the nuclei of future atoms.
- 10-32 second to 3000 years. Electromagnetic energy, produced during the annihilation of quarks and antiquarks, dominates the forces of gravity.
- 3000 years to present. Matter becomes the primary source of gravity. Matter begins to clump with the aid of large amounts of exotic or dark matter. This matter interacts weakly with electromagnetic energy, but is able to clump with itself through gravity, even during the domination of electromagnetic energy.
- 300,000 years. Continued expansion and cooling allow matter and electromagnetic energy to decouple. The nuclei of atoms are able to capture electrons to form complete atoms of hydrogen, helium and lithium.
- 200,000,000 years. Galaxy formation begins as matter continues to clump.
- 9,000,000,000 years. The solar system forms.
- 10,000,000,000 years. Life begins on earth.
- 13,700,000,000 years.1 Jesus Christ conquers sin.
- There is Too Much Evil and Suffering For God to Exist?
- Where is God When Bad Things Happen? Why Natural Evil Must Exist
- Haiti Earthquake Kills Over 200,000: Where was God?
- Southeast Asia Earthquake and Tsunami: Where was God?
- Where was God During the World Trade Center Attack?
- If God Existed, Prayer Would Have Brought World Peace?
- D. N. Spergel, R. Bean, O. Doré, M. R. Nolta, C. L. Bennett, J. Dunkley, G. Hinshaw, N. Jarosik, E. Komatsu, L. Page, H. V. Peiris, L. Verde, M. Halpern, R. S. Hill, A. Kogut, M. Limon, S. S. Meyer, N. Odegard, G. S. Tucker, J. L. Weiland, E. Wollack, E. L. Wright. 2007. Wilkinson Microwave Anisotropy Probe (WMAP) Three Year Results: Implications for Cosmology. Astrophysics arXiv:astro-ph/0603449v2.
Today's New Reason to Believe
Integrating Science and Faith
- 06/30/2016 11:29 AM
Top 10 TNRTBs of All Time
RTBâ€™s blog Todayâ€™s New Reason to Believe has certainly evolved since its first post, but what hasnâ€™t changed is TNRTBâ€™s …
- 06/27/2016 12:25 PM
Announcing RTBâ€™s New Blog Ring!
Thirty years ago when Kathy and Iâ€”and some of youâ€”launched Reasons to Believe, the word â€śblogâ€ť hadnâ€™t yet been invented, …
- 06/23/2016 09:00 AM
Can Planets in the Habitable Zone Actually Support Life?
It seems that all too frequently we read another exciting announcement that an extrasolar planet has been detected, one that …
- 06/20/2016 09:00 AM
Was Mars Once Plagued by Tsunamis?
Tsunamis are a recurring theme in disaster movies. The Impossible depicts a familyâ€™s struggle to survive in the aftermath of …
- 06/16/2016 08:02 AM
Do Neanderthal Cave Structures Challenge Human Exceptionalism?
When I visited Great Britain years ago, I was surprised at how difficult it was for me to cross busy …
- 06/13/2016 05:00 PM
Complex Protein Biogenesis Hints at Intelligent Design
While growing up, I had a friend named Tom who had an unusual older brother named Tim. Back then, Tom …
- 06/09/2016 09:00 AM
How Can We Reconcile in a Way that Lasts?
The Bible has a lot to say about reconciliation. Christians, for example, are called to be ambassadors for reconciliation (2 …
- 06/06/2016 09:00 AM
What Does the Discovery of a Supermassive Black Hole Binary Mean for Creationism?
A team of 10 Chinese astronomers recently announced the first-ever discovery of a supermassive black hole binary.1 They found the …
- 06/02/2016 09:00 AM
Was Jesusâ€™ Arrival Accurately Predicted in the Bible?
In 538 BC, the angel Gabriel gave Daniel a prophecy pinpointing when the Messiah would arrive. â€śKnow and understand this,â€ť …
- 05/30/2016 09:00 AM
Nobel-Winning DNA Research Challenges Evolutionary Theory
In 2015, three scientists won the Nobel Prize in Chemistry for decades of research into DNAâ€”research that reinforces the idea …
Last Modified June 16, 2006