Criticisms of God's Character from Atheists and Agnostics
According to Richard Dawkins, the God of the Bible (Yahweh) is "jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully." Are these claims a true representation of God's character or have Dawkins and other skeptics misinterpreted what the Bible says?
Answers to criticisms
- Did God Commit Atrocities by Ordering the Killing of Entire Cities of People? What about all the "innocent" people God has killed?
- The Mercy of God as Found in the Old Testament - A crazy idea that the God of the Old Testament is merciful?
- Thou Shall Not Kill- Does God Violate His Own Commandment? Since God ordered the destruction of entire cities, wasn't He being a hypocrite?
- What will happen to the people who have never heard of Jesus Christ? - Will God burn them all in hell?
- What about atrocities that have been done in the name of religion? - Yes, so-called "Christians" have done evil things in the name of God. However, atheists have killed many times more people than these "Christians." Does that mean that atheism is false?
- A Loving God Would Not Send Billions of
People to Hell, Would He? - Would a loving God force people to spend eternity
- Why Would God Create a Person Who Would be Destined for Hell? - A loaded question surrounded by invalid assumptions
- Why Wouldn't God Want Adam and Eve to Have Knowledge of Good and Evil? Did God setup Adam and Eve to fail? What's wrong with knowledge?
- Why Would God "visit the iniquity of the fathers on the children unto the third and the fourth generation"? - Isn't it evil to punish innocent children for the sins of their fathers and grandfathers?
- It Isn't Fair That God Judges People Who are Born Into Buddhist, Hindu or Other Non-Christian Homes - Then God wasn't "fair" to the author of this site!
- Why Does God Hate Amputees? Or, Why Does God Love Marshall Brain? Is it true that God has never healed any amputees?
- Do Sociopaths (People with Antisocial Personality Disorder) Disprove the Existence of God? - Why would God create an individual who couldn't distinguish good from evil and then condemn him because of that condition?
- Does the Bible Say God Repents From Doing Evil? Skeptics claim that since God knows everything He should never have to repent from anything. However, the King James version clearly says that God repented. Did God really change His mind?
- If God is Jealous Doesn't That Make Him the Divine Hypocrite? - If jealousy is a sin and God is jealous, doesn't that make Him a sinner?
- God's Chosen People, the Jews: Isn't God Unfair in Showing Such Preference? If giving preferential treatment to a group of people is a sin, why isn't God a sinner since He chose the Jews?
- If God is Omnipotent (All Powerful) Why Did He Need to Rest on the Seventh Day? - Would a real God really need to take a break after creating the universe?
- Did God have a wife? Asherah Worship in Israel - Yes, there really is evidence for polytheism in Israel, since the Bible says it was practiced by the Israelites.
- Prince of Peace - What Peace? - Did Jesus fail to fulfill His role as the Prince of Peace?
- God and War: What the Bible Says About the Just War Theory - Does God condone war? If so, under what circumstances?
- Answers for Atheists and Agnostics
Last Modified March 28, 2013