Hermeneutics

Discussions about the Bible, and any issues raised by Scripture.
Jac3510
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Hermeneutics

Post by Jac3510 »

This discussion was taken from the Carnivous Animals thread:
dayage wrote:Jac3510,

Please link me to a resource that limits (literal-historical-grammatical method of interpretation) as you do.

You are ignoring a large part of this type of interpretation: "Using Scripture to interpret Scripture"

Here is a link showing multiple articles
http://www.simplythegospel.org/journal/ ... ug2006.pdf

Your limited understanding of this type of interpretation causes problems:
How many angels are at the tomb? 1 or 2
How many demoniacs were there? 1 or 2

If you do not interpret Scripture with Scripture how do you decide which New Testament author you will believe?

By interpreting the right way, you find that in both cases there were two and one probably did the talking or at least was the more prominent.

Does baptism take away sin (Acts 2:38) or does forgiveness come first (Acts 10:44-48)?
Comparing different texts shows that forgiveness of sins comes from repenting not baptism. At that time many repented (and called on the Lord) as they went into the water for baptism.
I doubt that you just want to get into a source war. I am in my office now with personal library, and to my left are about six textbooks on hermeneutics. The issue is with the validity of arguments, not with who we can find who (we think) backs up our opinions. If you want to take arguments from somewhere else, then by all means present them here. I will do the same, but we don't need to get into appeals to authority

On then, to your specifics:
You are ignoring a large part of this type of interpretation: "Using Scripture to interpret Scripture"
I am not ignoring it. I understand it differently than you do. Accepting that we interpret Scripture by Scripture doesn't answer the question of how we are to do so.
Your limited understanding of this type of interpretation causes problems:
How many demoniacs were there? 1 or 2
Obviously two in both cases.
If you do not interpret Scripture with Scripture how do you decide which New Testament author you will believe?
I believe them all.
By interpreting the right way, you find that in both cases there were two and one probably did the talking or at least was the more prominent.
Agreed.
Does baptism take away sin (Acts 2:38) or does forgiveness come first (Acts 10:44-48)?
Comparing different texts shows that forgiveness of sins comes from repenting not baptism. At that time many repented (and called on the Lord) as they went into the water for baptism
Act 2:38 shows no relationship between baptism and forgiveness of sins. Acts 10:44-48 has nothing to do with forgiveness of sins. This is part of the problem with your understanding of "interpreting Scripture with Scripture." For you, it seems to mean "Build a theology based on one passage and interpret another passage in light of that theology." Further, I would have to know your definition of "repentence" as well as your definition of "forgiveness." By the former, do you mean "a change of mind" or do you mean "a change of action"? By the latter, do you mean judicial or experiential forgiveness, and do you take the audience into account (i.e., Jews vs. Gentiles)? What sins are in view in these various passages (note, I said "in these passages" -- that is a textual, not theological, question.). Further, your theology of repentence/forgiveness seems at odds with 1 John 1:9. There, the condition for forgiveness is confession. I see nothing there about repentence or calling upon the name of the Lord. Was John mistaken when he said that if we confess our sins then God forgives us? Did he REALLY mean "if we confess and repent and call upon the name of the Lord" then He will forgive us?

So, I answered your four questions. Let me ask you one:

What is the source of your hermeneutics? Put differently, from where do you get your method of interpreting the Bible?
Proinsias wrote:I don't think you are hearing me. Preference for ice cream is a moral issue
And that, brothers and sisters, is the kind of foolishness you get people who insist on denying biblical theism. A good illustration of any as the length people will go to avoid acknowledging basic truths.
dayage
Valued Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: Hermeneutics

Post by dayage »

I am not ignoring it. I understand it differently than you do. Accepting that we interpret Scripture by Scripture doesn't answer the question of how we are to do so.

"Your limited understanding of this type of interpretation causes problems:
How many demoniacs were there? 1 or 2"

Obviously two in both cases.
How do you say this when you stated earlier
But that conclusion is at theological odds with conclusions he draws from other passages of Scripture (and worse to me, from his interpretation so nature, as if that had any bearing on what the text says), and thus argues that I must take those too into account when looking at these verses.
In the above examples one author said there was one and the other author said there was two. If you only interpret them within themselves you have a problem, but you are not doing that. You are taking them together, because they deal with the same subject, and drawing a conclusion that brings them together.

I take all the pasages I can find on a subject to determine what I should understand about it. I do not find one I like and then try to make others fit.
Further, I would have to know your definition of "repentence" as well as your definition of "forgiveness." By the former, do you mean "a change of mind" or do you mean "a change of action"?
I believe it starts with a change of heart, but with the help of the Spirit, leads to a change in action. Sometimes the change in action happens immediately, other times it may take time. God's main focus is the heart. Even Paul talks about struggles with sin.
By the latter, do you mean judicial or experiential forgiveness
Both. Our sins are immediately removed and we from that moment experience eternal life.
Further, your theology of repentence/forgiveness seems at odds with 1 John 1:9. There, the condition for forgiveness is confession.
This is about sins commited by Christians, This is not about getting saved.
Was John mistaken when he said that if we confess our sins then God forgives us?
Confession comes from an attitude of repentence or you will not be forgiven.
Act 2:38 shows no relationship between baptism and forgiveness of sins. Acts 10:44-48 has nothing to do with forgiveness of sins.
I believe as you do about Acts 2:38, but there are those that differ and it is wise to be able to show their error with other passages.
Your are mistaken about Acts 10:44-48, for it is preceded by verse 43 which shows the connection to the forgiveness of sins of those that believe. Acts 11:1 shows that they had recieved this (10:42-43) word of God. Also, the Holy Spirit does not indwell the unsaved.
What is the source of your hermeneutics? Put differently, from where do you get your method of interpreting the Bible?
I have read and heared many on this subject. I also took some courses on it. Studying how a subject is seen from many different passages is the way I prefer to determine how it is being used. Then I determine from that how it is being used in any one context.

God does not change, so if we are dealing with the same subject and context I do not care if I go forward or backward in His Word.

This is probably all I have to say on this topic. You could change my mind.
Jac3510
Ultimate Member

Post by Jac3510 »

How do you say this when you stated earlier
In the above examples one author said there was one and the other author said there was two. If you only interpret them within themselves you have a problem, but you are not doing that. You are taking them together, because they deal with the same subject, and drawing a conclusion that brings them together.
In both examples you provided, the question of number is not addressed in one of the accounts.
I believe it starts with a change of heart, but with the help of the Spirit, leads to a change in action. Sometimes the change in action happens immediately, other times it may take time. God's main focus is the heart. Even Paul talks about struggles with sin.
While I appreciate this doctine of repentence, and can even agree with much of it, I was asking for a definition. You are giving me an entire theological construct. But that does precisely the very thing I have a problem with. We shouldn't develop an entire construct and take that to any given text. We should draw out the meaning of a word by its context and usage and use that to create a doctrine. You seem to have it backwards.
I believe as you do about Acts 2:38, but there are those that differ and it is wise to be able to show their error with other passages.
Why show their error with other passages when they are unjustified, hermeneutically, in their position in this very passage? Are you reading Acts 2:38 in light of other passages, or does it say what it says because of its own context? If so, why not just stay here and show the point as penned by Luke?
Your are mistaken about Acts 10:44-48, for it is preceded by verse 43 which shows the connection to the forgiveness of sins of those that believe. Acts 11:1 shows that they had recieved this (10:42-43) word of God. Also, the Holy Spirit does not indwell the unsaved.
Given the fact that you blur judicial and experiential forgiveness, I can see how you take it that way. The point is fair enough, in that you have in the context of the passage itself a discussion on forgiveness. This makes something of an interesting case study, though, because while Peter is the same person speaking in Acts 2 and here in Acts 10, and while he uses the phrase "forgiveness of sins" in both, repentence (however you define that) seems to be the key in one while "believing" is the key in the other. But does that mean that the same thing is necessarily going on in both cases because the same phrase is used? I don't think it necessarily must be so. These people were clearly saved, but there is no reference to their repenting. So while the parallels are interseting, and certainly something we should consider, each event should be interpreted within its own contexts. Any parallel theology we can discover and build upon comes from independently (and properly!) interpreted passages. We didn't have to build a theology based on one passage and use it as a filter for the other.
I have read and heared many on this subject. I also took some courses on it. Studying how a subject is seen from many different passages is the way I prefer to determine how it is being used. Then I determine from that how it is being used in any one context.

God does not change, so if we are dealing with the same subject and context I do not care if I go forward or backward in His Word.

This is probably all I have to say on this topic. You could change my mind.
Well let me offer you some things to think about, and you can do with them what you like:

It is certainly true that the Bible was written by one Author. It obviously exhibits one Mind behind it all. But at the same time, you must also be very careful not to read it as a single, indivisible story, as with, say, a novel. As you know, the Bible is not one book. It is a library of books, each one written by a particular individual to a particular people and (and this is the important part!) for a particular purpose. Genesis, for instance, recorded for the Exodus generation the history of their people so that they could understand what set them apart. Chronicles tells the political history of Israel with special reference to the Temple so that the post-Exilic generation could see the centrality of devotion to Yahweh. Romans was a doctrinal treaty to the Roman Christians so that they could receive a core of apostolic teaching on which to standardize their faith while waiting for Paul's arrival. John was written to Jewish believers who had come in contact with false teaching about the true nature of Christ to insure their orthodoxy and growth in the faith.

What this means is that each of these books had to have been understood by the people to whom they were written. If, then, you say that a book, passage, or verse cannot be understood without reference to a future passage of Scripture, you are basically saying that the people to whom the book was written would not have been able to understand its meaning. In such a scheme, the books would have been unintelligible and thus unable to fulfill their intended purposes.

This is why I asked you what the source of your hermeneutic is. Most Christians want to say that they get their method of interpretation from the Bible itself. The Bible, they argue, teaches us how to interpret it (thus the popular, and I would argue misunderstood, notion of "interpreting Scripture through Scripture). With all good intentions, the vast majority of Christians try to interpret the Bible in some sort of special manner.

Now, I disagree with that. I believe the Bible should be interpreted like any other book, according to the normal rules of human language. It is not to be given special treatment in that regard. Of course, many people are naturally repulsed by that idea, and start arguing it is very wrong. I have asked them to prove it, and they immediately begin going to various parts of Scripture to prove that the Bible is special and needs to be treated as such.

But here's the rub: where did they learn how to interpret those passages that tell them to interpret the Bible in some special way (i.e., to use the NT to look back and understand the OT in a different light). The answer is that they read those verses in light of the normal rules of human language! So, in order to prove that you can't interpret the Bible like a normal book, you must first interpret the Bible like a normal book!

The bottom line here: proper hermeneutics comes from general, not special, revelation. We use the reason God gave us to properly understand what has been communicated to us through His word.

If, then, that is true, we can go back to my main points in the other thread, as well as in this one. You don't take a wide variety of passages and bring them to bear on another to get its meaning. You take each passage according to its own context, and from THAT, you bring out the meaning. That MEANING is then lined up with other meanings (themselves derived from given passages taken from their own contexts) and we begin to systematize our theologies. But never, never should we take our systems of theology, our theological constructs, and bring them on a text. To do so, to impose our theology on the text, is to make ourselves the determiners of its meaning rather than the discoverers of its meaning; it is to read the Bible differently from the way we would read any other book, and thus, to violate basic hermeneutics.

Forgive the length. That has been longer than I intended, but I believe it is extremely important that we decide how to interpret a passage before we debate what it means. Bad theology is only the symtom. Bad hermeneutics is the disease.

God bless
Proinsias wrote:I don't think you are hearing me. Preference for ice cream is a moral issue
And that, brothers and sisters, is the kind of foolishness you get people who insist on denying biblical theism. A good illustration of any as the length people will go to avoid acknowledging basic truths.
dayage
Valued Member

Post by dayage »

Jac3510,

I lied. One more thing.
If, then, that is true, we can go back to my main points in the other thread, as well as in this one. You don't take a wide variety of passages and bring them to bear on another to get its meaning. You take each passage according to its own context, and from THAT, you bring out the meaning. That MEANING is then lined up with other meanings (themselves derived from given passages taken from their own contexts) and we begin to systematize our theologies. But never, never should we take our systems of theology, our theological constructs, and bring them on a text. To do so, to impose our theology on the text, is to make ourselves the determiners of its meaning rather than the discoverers of its meaning; it is to read the Bible differently from the way we would read any other book, and thus, to violate basic hermeneutics.
I believe this is what I practice, at least most of the time. For instance Gen. 1:2 is not meant to tell us that it took a long time for earth to get that way, but when I interpret Job 38:8-9 I see that it must have.

Then I go back to Genesis 1 and fill in the story. I'm not saying that Genesis 1:2 was telling me that the water came from within the earth or that God covered it with thick clouds to make earth dark. That is why I point people to the texts I believe fill in this information and let them decide. That is why I try to always give the scriptures for what I believe is being taught. Many I have debated just want to use rhetoric, which drives me nuts.

Do I let my ideas get in the way sometimes? I'm sure. Romans 8:19-23 is an example. The view I held was one I just adopted from the creation organization I follow. It never really sat well with me, but when I came across a different veiw that seemed to be true I looked more closely at the whole chapter and found this new interpretation much more satisfying. This actually came from people with views on creation different than my own (Framework and Analogical Day views), but if it fits the context better I am willing to change.

I have learned to be skeptical of views until I have tested them in context. Then I see if they fit within the larger framework which I have developed. If not, I look to see where the change needs to be made.

I do look to other texts to help with difficult passages like Job 38:8, 10. The terms bolts and doors are figurative, but they mean something real. I had an idea of what they might mean, but I had to search out other passages that used these words in a similar way to be sure. I had to go to Jonah to confirm what the bolt (beriah) was.

In Genesis 11 I could assume that there are gaps in the genealogies, because of what science says about the age of man. Even the language would allow it, as well as the paterns from other genealogies. But, it is not until I look at Luke 3:36 and find a guy named Cainan that is not in Genesis 11. Then I went and researched the oldest Greek, as well as other manuscripts (up to 400 A.D.), of Luke to make sure the name was really supposed to be there. It is. Therefore, I can go back and say that these are not complete genealogies.

Any way this has been interesting.
Jac3510
Ultimate Member

Post by Jac3510 »

Kurieuo wrote:How did I consider your statements to be suspect? Well, it seems to me you are claiming superiority when it comes to your method of interpreting Scripture without having justified this in any way. So your statements are suspect, in that victory seems to be getting claimed for your interpretation based upon your method without any real validation. Thus, I consider the statements made and perhaps the illusion of victory based on your interpretative approach to be suspect.
I never claimed any victory. I said I found the fundamental disagreement. What I said was that we disagreed because we have a different method of interpretation. I interpret according to the literal-historical-grammatical method. So long as dayage and I, then, hold to a different method, then there is no hope of coming to the same meaning. Nor is there any basis on which one can appeal to the other, for I will point to one aspect of the text in interpretation which he will deem inappropriate, whereas he will point to another aspect of the text in interpretation that I will deem inappropriate. Until, then, the matter of method is solved, there can be no further discussion.
It seems like everyone likes to think they use the correct hermeneutic when coming to Scripture.
Well that's obviously true. You wouldn't use a method you thought was wrong, would you? But the question is, has any given person considered his hermeneutical method and his reason for holding to it as opposed to other methods?
Those who perform historical-critical methods believe they are applying the correct immediate context, not just grammatically, but historically. Thus, I am sure they would think they take the more plain view of Scripture than yourself.
Yes, and that method has been tried and found wanting in the Classical histories. I found a wonderful quote with reference to that particular method not to long ago:

"It is precisely the hypercritical historian, the skeptic extraordinaire, who is most often compelled for his own dissenting presentation of the facts, to adopt such fantastic constructions that he humself is propelled from critical doubt into bottomless credulity." ~ J. Huizinga (Baruch Halpern, The First Historians: The Hebrew Bible and History (University Park, PN: Pennsylvania State University Press, 1996), 16)

Just because I think I am being objective doesn't mean I am. Just because I think I am taking a plain view doesn't mean I am. The beauty of these discussions is that certain views can be falsified, as the historical-critical method has been. The reason I hold to the literal-historical-grammatical method is that it is the method that all human beings apply in all communication. And I would argue it is impossible to consistently interpret the Bible in any other way. In other words, any other method of interpretation must, at some point, fall back on this one, then only depart from it when the exegete decides, according to his own whims and desires, it is appropriate to.
It seems to me that you believe your method of interpretation is free of any bias personal, theological or otherwise, however your own theology clearly affects how you interpret Scripture and what limits you believe should be applied when interpreting.
The method itself is free from bias. I am not. But where I find bias, I try to remove it. Don't let yourself get caught up on the trap of thinking that objectivity is impossible, K. You know better. Such a claim is self-defeating. If objectivity is impossible, how can we objective enough to claim that it is impossible? Put differently, is the claim that objectivity is impossible not itself objective? So, yes, I believe I am capable of rooting out and removing my own biases in any given interpretation. That is precisely the reason I study and use the method I do. It is free from bias, and helps me rid me of mine.

Further, I disagree that my theology "clearly" affects my understanding of Scripture. I do not get my hermeneutic from my theology. I get my theology from my hermeneutic. Hermeneutics comes first. Theology comes last. Always last.
For example, you say future revelation (future passages in Scripture) should not reexplain past revelation (older passages in Scripture) thereby setting a limit based on your dispensationalist theology
That statements is not based on my dispensational theology. I get my dispensational theology because by hermeneutic is based on that statement. That statement I get from the literal-historical-grammatical method, a method I get, not from dispensationalism, but from general revelation, that is, reason in general.
Personally, I believe the best method of interpreting Scripture to be a canonical approach, that is, taking Scripture in a holistic manner. If we as Christians consider Scripture authoritative on the basis it is inspired by God and God-breathed through the authors who penned it, then there is one Author behind the scenes Who brings it all together. As such, future passages in Scripture do not necessarily re-interpret or re-explain previous passages, but they can be used to help clarify them.
This is an example of where you take a "natural hermeneutic" (shorthand for literal-historical-grammatical method of intepretation"), use it to get to a certain point, and then depart from it and claim its insufficiency. Tell me, K, where did you get the idea that Scripture is authoritative, that it is inspired by God, that it is God-breathed through the authors who penned it, and that ther eis one Auhtor behind the scenes who brought it all together? Correct me if I am wrong, and forgive me for assuming, but did you not get those ideas from Scripture itself? And when you point out those beautiful passages, did you not intepret them soas to come to those conclusions? But praytell, K, by what method of interpretation did you interpret THOSE verses? You could not have interpreted them by your wholistic-the-Bible-is-the-Word-of-God hermeneutic, for, prior to those verses, you had no basis for that belief. To assert you did would simply be begging the question.

So even your own view presupposes mine. Yet if you go back and say mine is insufficient, then you have undermined your own.
I do agree there is merit in reading passages by themselves alone, but in doing so we must be careful to close out the varying different understandings. Keep in mind that the Trinity is not built on any one passage alone, but rather many passages. JWs prefer to treat each of these passages individually (many of which are still quite tricky to respond to), and in this way they are quite largely able to maintain a wrong picture of Christ. However, taking Scripture collectively rather than reading individual passages separately, means for example that when Jesus says the Father is greater than Himself we understand Christ to be talking of position rather than power.
You are mixing the building of systematic theology with exegesis. The proper order is this:

1. Observation of a text -> 2. Exegesis -> 3. Distilling of text's meaning -> 4. Systematizing said meaning with other passages derived by these same procedures. Or, we coud say it this way: Exegetical Theology leads to Biblical Theology which leads to Systematic Theology. But never should your Systematic Theology be used in the creation of your Exegetical or Biblical Theology; never should your Biblical Theology be used in the creation of your Exegetical Theology. The road is one-way.

Thus, the doctrine of the Trinity is one of systematic theology. It is based on four premises, namely, 1) There is one God, 2) The Father is God, 3) The Son is God, 4) The Holy Spirit is God. I do not, however, need a systematic doctrine of the Trinity to understand any of the passages in which any of these four premises are discussed. Our problems with the JWs are less in their incorrect systematic theology and more, again, in their hermeneutic. They have, for instance, a grammatical misinterpretation of John 1:1 that they cling to for their own theological reasons. If they agreed to the proper hermeneutic, they would come to the same theological conclusions that we do. You only lend credit to their method when you argue systematic theology with them.
I must say I do believe one should use all passages to clarify other passages, regardless of whether they are past or future revelation.
I can agree or disagree depending on your meaning of the word "clarify." If you mean that a NT passages changes what an OT passage means in its own context, I cannot disagree more strongly. Walter Kaiser, in discussing this problem, notes that:
  • the autonomy of the New Testament writer (or even the autonomy of the contemporary reader of the New Testament) in his method of citing Old Testament texts was given the approving nod by almost all scholars over the rights and meanings of the Old Testament writer who claimed to have stood in the Council of God and to have had a revelation entrusted to him that he understood and wanted to share (Walter Kaiser, The Use of the Old Testament in the New (Chicago: Moody Press, 1985), x)
In short, OT texts have a specific meaning in their own context. No future text may go back and change or even add to that given meaning. I have no problem with the notion that future revelation may narrow the focus of previous revelation; indeed, I would argue that is precisely its function. If, then, that is all you mean by "clarify," then I have no issues whatsoever. But if what you mean by the word is that we can take a former revelation and place it side by side with a latter revelation, and then use the latter revelation as a light by which we may understand the former's fundamental meaning, then I say you have the cart before the horse.
To dissect Scripture in a manner that treats its parts like the whole picture I think it just plainly wrong given I believe there is only one true Author who forcefully guided every word together through many human authors.
No one denies that there is one author, but as I pointed out to dayage, that One Author inspired the words of each human author to write a specific, intelligible message to a specific people at a specific time in a specific setting for a specific purpose. If that meaning can be fundamentally changed by later revelation, or if that meaning cannot be understood without the light of later revelation, then we, in no sense, can say that the original audience properly understood the meaning of the revelation. But if we say that, then we cannot say the original revelation was a revelation at all, for the word itself means "to reveal." But in such a scheme, nothing has been revealed at all!

Again, the method is simple. We are to take each passage in its own context and on its own terms. With the meaning extracted, we can move on to other passages and begin to lay these extracted meanings one on top of the other and thereby produce a correct systematic theology. But we should never, under any circumstances, impose our systematic theology, especially not a theology derived from a latter text, on an earlier passage. To do so is to practice eisogesis, and it is to argue that Scripture was unintelligible to its original recipients.
Furthermore, if Scripture is being dissected into parts, and it is still claimed the whole picture can be seen to know what the literal and intended meaning of the individual passage is, such is perhaps analogous to many post-moderns who believe they can see the elephant while everyone else who disagrees with their take on truth is only touching its trunk, tail, or leg.
On the contrary, it is exactly the opposite of the post-modern elephant; it is the one who takes the Scripture as an indivisible unit that finds themselves with an unintelligible elephant. The reason is simple. An elephant is an indivisible whole. Scripture is not. Scripture is divided into no less than 66 individual books, written by over forty authors over a fifteen hundred year period in three different languages. If you attempt to understand Scripture holistically, you invariably end up latching onto one particular part of Scripture you like and interpreting the rest of the Bible through it. Calvinsts, for instance, cannot remove the lens of God's sovreignty; Arminians the lens of human freedom; Charismatics the lens of the baptism of the Holy Spirit, etc. Everyone has their own method. The argument becomes, "Where should we start from?"

On the other hand, when you read the Bible as it should be, God's revelation to man through man, when you read it according to the normal rules of human communication, with older revelation preceeding and forming the foundation for later revelation and never vice-versa, you have no such problem. Each author of each book has his own emphasis, his own theology. Each book has its own purpose. And, by faith, we trust that all of those will line up. But we feel no need to impose a coherent system on exegesis, for to do so is, by the nature of that very method, to impose OUR system on the text, rather than to let the text impose itself on us. As such, post-modernism is ruled out fundamentally, for it is not up to each person to decide what the whole of Scripture means based on our own arbitrary starting point; it is up to each of us to be honest enough with ourselves to allow Scripture to declare its starting point ("In the beginning . . .") and follow it faithfully until the end, letting Scripture impose itself on our thoughts, objectively, without interference from our own bias.

Let me, then, repeat what I say to dayage to you: Bad theology is only a symptom; the disease is bad hermeneutics.
P.S. I do have half a response saved in the dualism thread (I have not forgotten about that discussions). I will get around to completing it hopefully sooner than later.
And I am looking forward to it. The professor of philosophy and director of the apologetics program has actually been asking about your response. I'm sure he will be most interested in your thoughts as I am, of course.

God bless :)
Jac3510
Ultimate Member

Post by Jac3510 »

dayage wrote:I believe this is what I practice, at least most of the time. For instance Gen. 1:2 is not meant to tell us that it took a long time for earth to get that way, but when I interpret Job 38:8-9 I see that it must have.
Then why, may I ask, do you insist on going outside the text to help you with the meaning of Gen 1:29-30, the passage that prompted this discussion. The passage is sufficient in itself. Gen 9 is another passage (although worth considering, certainly, sense it is all part of the same context). Psalm 104 is absolutely unrelated and has no bearing on the meaning of Gen 1:29-30. It is, then, an exercise in bad hermeneutics to make such an appeal. If that becomes the basis for one's acceptance of your position, then one very rightfully can reject your view if the passage itself indicates another meaning, as I maintain it does.
dayage
Valued Member

Post by dayage »

Jac3510,

I showed from the text why yours is a questionable understanding of Gen. 1:29-30:
The text seems to make a distinction in what is said to man and then about animals:
To man
It starts - "Behold, I have given you..."
It ends - "lachem (to you) yihyeh (it shall be) le (for) ochlah (food)."

About animals
It starts - "(Behold, I have given) to every beast, etc...."
It ends - "le (for) ochlah (food)."

Man again is instructed (Gen. 9:3) same as before:
"Every moving thing that is alive, lachem (to you) yihyeh (it shall be) le (for) ochlah (food)..."

Man seems to be getting actual instructions. The animals get just an o-by-the-way mention. O-by-the-way, animals eat vegetation too. There is nothing in this text or any other that limits animals to vegetation.

The point about sea creatures:
All of the animals are mentioned as having been made on days 5-6.
They are all mentioned again in man's instructions to rule (Gen. 1:28).
They are absent from the "vege diet" of verse 30.
This is enough to cause doubt about land animals being strict vegetarians. We have no record of them having their diets changed, as with man.

And I'm sorry, but Ps. 104 is a creation Psalm. It praises God for what He did during creation and how it is seen to the psalmist's day. And carnivorous activity is seen as God's doing and as good.
When you go to other passages you find that the phrase about man was restrictive (Gen. 9:3). In Ps. 104 we see that carnivores are God's design. Animals are nowhere restricted.
dayage
Valued Member

Post by dayage »

Jac3510,

Show me how you deal with this:

Genesis 11 seems to have no gaps in the genealogies. But, then I look at Luke 3:36 and find a guy named Cainan that is not in Genesis 11. What do you do?

What conclusion did you come to from the Genesis text and what do you do with Luke? Show me the steps you would take that differ from mine.
Jac3510
Ultimate Member

Post by Jac3510 »

When you go to other passages you find that the phrase about man was restrictive (Gen. 9:3). In Ps. 104 we see that carnivores are God's design. Animals are nowhere restricted.
Again, Ps 104 is not related. Can you maintain your position without its support?

As far as your break down of Gen 1:29-30, I don't see the point you are making. You certainly didn't address my point. I have already noted that there is only ONE main verb ("I give") that controls both verses. Thus, the two statements cannot be separated. That, in and of itself, is prima facie evidence that God is not saying one thing to man and offering an "oh, by the way" about animals.

Second, what point are you trying to make that yihyeh is included in 29 and not 30? Verbs are commonly implied in Greek and Hebrew. It was already stated in 29. Why should it be repeated in 30? To try to build an interpretation on the an implied's verb absence of explicity is weak in the strongest sense of the word.

Third, you failed to take into account the parallel between the two:

1. God said - I Give
a) To humans, plants for food;
b) to animals, plants for food;
2. And it was so.

Thus, you have the same as every other instance in days 1-5 . . . "God said . . . it was so." The close relatioship between human and animal diet is unmistakable. Now, I can tell you what point I draw out of the parallelism: table fellowship was, of course, extremely important in Hebrew culture. As humans and animals had the same diet, there was a special relationship between the two classes of creation. This served as an important qualification on man's being given dominion over the animal kingdom. The point is completely lost if animals do not have the same diet as man.

Fourth, you still have your self-refuting argument from silence. While the text does not explicitly say animals cannot ONLY eat plants, likewise, it does not say that mankind can ONLY eat plants. Now, I take it that mankind can only eat plants due to the nature of the verse itself--that is, God is giving mankind his diet. But, of course, if you take that, then there is no linguistic or contextual reason to suggest a change in 29 and 30, you have to take 30 the same way. If you go outside of the text to support your position by appealing to Gen 9, you actually argue against your own position for the reason already stated. If Gen 9 makes explicit that the form of 1:29 refers to exclusive vegetarianism, then it makes 1:30 explicit as well because the forms are just the same (minus, of course, the presence of an implied rather than explicitly stated verb).

In short, the only way, contextually, to hold that 1:30 can support carnivorous animals before the Fall is to hold that 1:29 supports carnivorous human activity before the fall. That's the passage itself and its own context.
Show me how you deal with this:

Genesis 11 seems to have no gaps in the genealogies. But, then I look at Luke 3:36 and find a guy named Cainan that is not in Genesis 11. What do you do?

What conclusion did you come to from the Genesis text and what do you do with Luke? Show me the steps you would take that differ from mine.
I would point out that there are two geneologies that have to be dealt with, not just the one in Gen 11. So let's start with Gen 5, which is both in the context of 11 and prior to it. Now, there is every reason to believe that Gen 5 does contain gaps. The reasoning is simple. As you know, the word for "begat" or "became the father of" doesn't mean "became the biological father of" any more than "yom" means "solar day." It CAN mean that. But it doesn't have to. So this is where standard context comes in mine. Does it mean "became the father of" or "became the ancestor of"? A comparison to Seth's line with Cain's line is very good reason to believe the choice of names was selective. Second, the number of generations between Adam and Noah and the total number of families between Adam and Lamech's children are both 10. This, again, tells me the geneology is likely selective. Finally, an important theological comparison is being made between the godly line of Seth and the ungodly line of Cain, a context that is extremely important for a proper understanding of the Genesis flood. If the geneologies were not selected to bring out that point, it would have been lost, and the basis for the Flood would have been obscured.

Genesis 11 shows the same pattern. You have ten generations between Shem and Abram. Further, chapter 11 is separated from the table of nations in chapter 10, and Shem's line is repeated, which tells you that Moses had a special interest in Shem's line (for obvious reasons). Since, then, we have very strong evidence that there are gaps in the geneologies in 5, there is very good reason, given the similarities between 5 and 11, to posit the same in 11. That other passages of Scripture assume this in their giving of the geneology is a nice confirmation, but unrelated to the exegesis of these passages in and of themselves.
dayage
Valued Member

Post by dayage »

Jac3510,

"And It was so" points back to the creation command (Gen. 1:26) as it does on every other day. The rest of the verses (27-30) may be included, but there is not a focus on the verses about plants as food. So, I do not understand your point.

Animals were here before humans (Gen. 1:20-25). Then God creates man and tells him to take control of the animals and earth (ecology). In this context God tells man what he is to eat. Since man is new to the earth and is to be in control of the environment, God informs man that the animals have also received plants as food.

As I have pointed out Gen. 1:29-30 is directed at man not the animals. As I said above, the animals were here and eating before man showed up. Man was to take charge, so it was important for him to understand that animals would be sharing the plants with him. When God gave directions to man about his diet He uses the same words at creation and after the flood and He emphasises the fact that it is given to man.
Gen. 1:29 - "Behold, I have given to you...lachem (to you) yihyeh (it shall be) le (for) ochlah (food)."
Gen. 9:3 - "...lachem (to you) yihyeh (it shall be) le (for) ochlah (food); like the green plant I have given to you all.

This is different than the statement God made to Adam about animals.
"Behold, I have given to (all animals)....green plants for food."
You assume yihyeh to be implied. I assume it to be left out on purpose.

God nowhere gives direction to the animals about what they should or should not eat. This finds confirmation in the divinely inspired commentary on creation in Ps. 104:14-17, 21. This shows that man and some animals eat plants, but some animals eat meat. This shows the way the Hebrews understood what God had done.

Since the phrasing is different for animals and there is no direction from God to the animals, there is no reason to think that their diet was the same as man's. We are only told that we share some foods in common. In fact most animals eat plants even today, just as God said.

Again, there is the absence of the vast seas full of meat eating creatures.

Genesis 11
Now, there is every reason to believe that Gen 5 does contain gaps. The reasoning is simple. As you know, the word for "begat" or "became the father of" doesn't mean "became the biological father of" any more than "yom" means "solar day." It CAN mean that. But it doesn't have to.
The word yalad means to beget. But, you cannot use the broader definition for the word here, because it is determined by context and the contexts in which it means ancestor come later. Therefore, you are doing (in a round-about fashion) what you said was wrong. You have let someone else (a lexicon) go to latter context to get you this meaning. You must show from this context a broader meaning for the term. This is one of the weaknesses of your limited definition of Scripture-interpreting-Scripture.

Your use of Genesis 4 and 5, to show gaps, will not work. Gen. 4 has little in common with Gen. 5 or 11 and the similarities you use are wrong.

In the three genealogies in use we find the definition of yalad as actual father
Cain interacting with his family (clearly direct father)
Cain names a city after his son Enoch (direct father)
Adam is Seth's direct father
Seth named Enosh (Gen 4:26 actual father)
Lamech named Noah (actual father)

Along with people naming their children, we have the ages (Gen. 5 and 11) at which the children are begotten. Therefore, you have shown no evidence for a broader meaning of yalad.

Cain's genealogy has 6 (or 7 if we go back to 4:1) names ending with the 4 children of Lamech. Most are begotten by women. There are no ages at all mentioned. Because, there are no ages we cannot know if the same time frame is meant to be covered.

Some of the names are similar or the same, but this is no help. For example, Enoch is in the wrong place. If we try to match up the names to determine if the amount of time was to be the same, the two Lamechs would show that Cain's genealogy ended at the time of Noah. It did not go all the way to the Flood. It stops 500 years earlier than Seth's line. This would bring Gen. 4 and 5 in line and tend rule out gaps.

Also, in Seth's line at least 3 and maybe 5 people begat sons well below the average age in his genealogy. This would tend to bring Seth's genealogy in line with Cain's, even though Cain had fewer names. Therefore, there is no evidence for gaps.

Ch. 4
Cain's genealogy has 6 (or 7 if we go back to 4:1) names ending with the 4 children of Lamech.

Ch. 5
Seth's genealogy has 10 names ending with the 3 children of Noah.

Ch. 11
There are 9 names ending with the 3 children of Terah.

The pattern is not the same in these genealogies. This is an old-earth creationist myth. One I fell for in the past.

The theological comparison between the Godly line of Seth and the ungodly line of Cain has no bearing on determining whether or not the text shows evidence for gaps in the genealogy.

Unless you assume the definition for yalad that must be proved, your method cannot deal with the difference between Genesis 11:12 and Luke 3:35-36 (the second Cainan). You have gone outside of your own interpretive method to deal with the differences.

So I stick to the understanding that Scripture-defining-Scripture goes backwards as well as forwards. This is why I can say Hebrews four shows the seventh day to be a long period of time and Luke 3:36 (as well as other latter genealogies, like Moses') shows that Genesis 11 has gaps.
Jac3510
Ultimate Member

Post by Jac3510 »

"And It was so" points back to the creation command (Gen. 1:26) as it does on every other day. The rest of the verses (27-30) may be included, but there is not a focus on the verses about plants as food. So, I do not understand your point.
On every other day? Ok, this is a good example of the whole issue of heremeneutics and taking things in their own context. First off, it does not occur in the 5th day, which kills any such parallels by itself (further, it does not occur in the first day, either, although the vowel hayah does). Second, the phrase "and it was so" does not serve as an inclusio for the entire day in any place where it does occur. So let's look at the structure of each day's account with reference to "and it was so":

Day two:
  • Then God said, "Let there be an expanse in the midst of the waters, and let it separate the waters from the waters."
    God made the expanse, and separated the waters which were below the expanse from the waters which were above the expanse; and it was so. God called the expanse heaven. And there was evening and there was morning, a second day.
Here, the "it was so" can be taken to go back to either "God made" or all the way back to the first "God said." You will see from the remainder of the usages that it should be taken as going back to "said."

Day three:
  • Then God said, "Let the waters below the heavens be gathered into one place, and let the dry land appear";
    and it was so. God called the dry land earth, and the gathering of the waters He called seas; and God saw that it was good.
    Then God said, "Let the earth sprout vegetation, plants yielding seed, and fruit trees on the earth bearing fruit after their kind with seed in them"; and it was so. The earth brought forth vegetation, plants yielding seed after their kind, and trees bearing fruit with seed in them, after their kind; and God saw that it was good. There was evening and there was morning, a third day.
Here, we have TWO "and it was so" statements, both following each of God's statements. Interestingly, both statements are marked off as being "so," and both the works that follow them are marked off as being "good."

Day four:
  • Then God said, "Let there be lights in the expanse of the heavens to separate the day from the night, and let them be for signs and for seasons and for days and years; and let them be for lights in the expanse of the heavens to give light on the earth"; and it was so. God made the two great lights, the greater light to govern the day, and the lesser light to govern the night; He made the stars also. God placed them in the expanse of the heavens to give light on the earth, and to govern the day and the night, and to separate the light from the darkness; and God saw that it was good. There was evening and there was morning, a fourth day.
Here, we have again only one "and it was so" statement, which follows God's first statement but does not from an inclusio for the entire day. Again, the statement is marked off as being done; the work is marked off as being good.

Day six:
  • Then God said, "Let the earth bring forth living creatures after their kind: cattle and creeping things and beasts of the earth after their kind"; and it was so. God made the beasts of the earth after their kind, and the cattle after their kind, and everything that creeps on the ground after its kind; and God saw that it was good. Then God said, "Let Us make man in Our image, according to Our likeness; and let them rule over the fish of the sea and over the birds of the sky and over the cattle and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creeps on the earth." God created man in His own image, in the image of God He created him; male and female He created them. God blessed them; and God said to them, "Be fruitful and multiply, and fill the earth, and subdue it; and rule over the fish of the sea and over the birds of the sky and over every living thing that moves on the earth." Then God said, "Behold, I have given you every plant yielding seed that is on the surface of all the earth, and every tree which has fruit yielding seed; it shall be food for you; and to every beast of the earth and to every bird of the sky and to every thing that moves on the earth which has life, I have given every green plant for food"; and it was so. God saw all that He had made, and behold, it was very good. And there was evening and there was morning, the sixth day.
Again, we have TWO "and it was so" statements. The first goes back the God's first stament. The work is marked off, again, as being good. The second statement has neither an "an it was so" nor a reference to being good", but this entire section is also poetic, whereas the other sections have not been. Thus a change here is not suprising. Finally, the last statement is marked off as being so, and then ALL God made was very good (which I take to go back to all the work from day one to day six).

What this means is that the "and it was so" parallel always goes back to the immediately preceeding statement, in this case, the reference to food.
Animals were here before humans (Gen. 1:20-25). Then God creates man and tells him to take control of the animals and earth (ecology). In this context God tells man what he is to eat. Since man is new to the earth and is to be in control of the environment, God informs man that the animals have also received plants as food.
Notice the tense of the verb "I have given" (nathan). It is in the qal perfect, which means it is a completed action (it happened in the past). This verb applies to BOTH human and animal diet, for it governs both of the passages. Let me here post a grammatical diagram you may find useful:

Now, there is something very instructive in all of this. The tense of nathan tell us that God had already given to mankind his diet, and therefore, this is instruction/information. Likewise, God had already given the animals their diet, so the issues of animals coming before men has nothing to do with our discussion. Man's knowledge of what animals were or were not to eat had no bearing on the reality itself. That's good old fashioned philosophy. Knowledge doesn't determine reality.

So the question is, just what WERE humans and animals given to eat? It is very clear: plant life. If human diet is exclusively vegetarian, then so also must be the animal kingdom's, based on the nature of the parallels and the single governing verb.
As I have pointed out Gen. 1:29-30 is directed at man not the animals. As I said above, the animals were here and eating before man showed up. Man was to take charge, so it was important for him to understand that animals would be sharing the plants with him. When God gave directions to man about his diet He uses the same words at creation and after the flood and He emphasises the fact that it is given to man.
Gen. 1:29 - "Behold, I have given to you...lachem (to you) yihyeh (it shall be) le (for) ochlah (food)."
Gen. 9:3 - "...lachem (to you) yihyeh (it shall be) le (for) ochlah (food); like the green plant I have given to you all.

This is different than the statement God made to Adam about animals.
"Behold, I have given to (all animals)....green plants for food."
You assume yihyeh to be implied. I assume it to be left out on purpose.
I was mistaken in the implication fo hayah as implied (that's what I get for running over my grammar too quickly), but in any case, I still don't see the point you are trying to make based on the presence of the verb. It is the standard state of being verb in Hebrew. In our verse, it is imperfect, which simply conveys the idea of current and/or future action. It certainly has no limiting aspect. What does have a limiting aspect is both the grammatical and structural parallel of 29 and 30.

I have given:
a) To you -> all the plants | (they are) for food
b) To animals -> all the plants | for food

No commentaries I have surveyed make any point of hayah. I'm not going to try to be so dishonest as to contruct an argument to tear it down, so if you want to make a specific exegetical argument based on the presence of the verb, I would love to see it. Until then, you've left almost entirely untouched my own discussion on the matter.
God nowhere gives direction to the animals about what they should or should not eat. This finds confirmation in the divinely inspired commentary on creation in Ps. 104:14-17, 21. This shows that man and some animals eat plants, but some animals eat meat. This shows the way the Hebrews understood what God had done.
Again, I reject that notion that Ps 104 is a creation psalm. It is a psalm of majesty and praise. It is not a commentary on Genesis 1. It talks of how God is revealed in nature even today. In any case, 1:30 does give animals direction on what they should or should not eat. They are to eat green plants. That is what God has given them for food. To say it is obvious is an understatement. It is the plain reading of the passage in the strongest sense of the word. This isn't like the "plain reading" of "day=24 hours" thing, because the word yom has, in its semantic range, other meanings. But nothing like that is the case in our present passage.
Since the phrasing is different for animals and there is no direction from God to the animals, there is no reason to think that their diet was the same as man's. We are only told that we share some foods in common. In fact most animals eat plants even today, just as God said.
Of course there is, and you can't just ignore all the features I've already suggested with one sentence. The phrasing of something has almost no meaning. Words have meaning. Context has meaning. You can't say, "it isn't phrased as X and therefore it can't mean Y." That's just a non sequitor. It does not follow that because 1:29 has the verb hayah that 1:30 therefore has a different meaning entirely. That's just absurd. Further, if you DO take 1:30 to be non-exclusive, you must ALSO take 1:29 to be non-exclusive. After all, the phrase "it shall be for food" doesn't negate that meat isn't for food, either. You don't need 9:3 to tell you that 1:29 is exclusive. It is obvious from the verse. Put differently, 9:3 doesn't tell us how to interpret 1:29. It is based on a previous, and obvious, understanding of 1:29, and that same understanding is no less obvious in 1:30.
Again, there is the absence of the vast seas full of meat eating creatures.
I've already addressed this. The Bible doesn't mention bacteria. It doesn't mention a lot of things. Since when are we expecting the Bible to be exhaustive?

There is an important hermenteutical point you are avoiding here, which is occasion. What caused Moses to write this? He isn't just trying to satisfy curiosity. He is making an important theological point that the people of his day needed to understand. Now, I can compare Egyptian and Mesopotamian creation mythologies and their underlying theology to Gen 1 and it is obvious what point Moses was making. But in your reading, there is no point to be made whatsoever.

Again, heremeneutics, my friend. You can't read this passage as a 21st century person and through the lens of modern science. You are forced to read the passage in a particular way that has NOTHING to do with the occasion, and that, because it lines up with your theology. Isn't it convenient that your reading of the passage answers questions that apologists are asked today? Yet, at the same time, your reading answers questions that no one would have been interested in asking when Moses wrote it.
The word yalad means to beget. But, you cannot use the broader definition for the word here, because it is determined by context and the contexts in which it means ancestor come later. Therefore, you are doing (in a round-about fashion) what you said was wrong. You have let someone else (a lexicon) go to latter context to get you this meaning. You must show from this context a broader meaning for the term. This is one of the weaknesses of your limited definition of Scripture-interpreting-Scripture.
Wrong. I can appeal to its broader definition. Looking at a word's semantic range has nothing to do with future revelation. The word occurs 165 times in the Pentateuch. That is more than enough to get a feeling of how the word was used by Moses and to establish its semantic range.
Your use of Genesis 4 and 5, to show gaps, will not work. Gen. 4 has little in common with Gen. 5 or 11 and the similarities you use are wrong.
There are few similarites between the geneologies in 4 and 5? What? You didn't even bring up the points I already made. You can't just dismiss things without talking about them, dayage. I already pointed out the similarities:

1. Theologically, Cain's line is ungodly whereas Seth's line is godly. The similarity here is one of religious tone.
2. There are ten names listed in each.
3. The names themselves are remarkably similar, showing they were purposefully chosen. I'll list them for your convenience:

Adam [man] ................... Adam [man]
Cain [to create] ................... Seth [annointed one]
Enoch [initiated] ................... Enosh [mortal]
Irad [fugitive] ................... Kenan [dwelling]
Mehujael [smitten of God] ................... Mahalalel [praise of God]
Methushael [who is of God] ................... Jared [to descend]
Lamech [? - possible "powerful"] ................... Enoch [initiated]
Jabal [stream] ................... Methuselah [man of a dart]
Jubal [stream] ................... Lamech [? - possible "powerful"]
Tubal-cain [brought of Cain] ................... Noah [rest]

So, note the many similarities. Enoch is clearly similar to Enosh; in the fourth generation, you have a fugitive vs. a dwelling; in the fifth, you have very similar names with antithetical meanings; both geneologies use Lamech (in one, Lamech brings polygamy into the world, in the other, Lamech brings rest to the world); in the seventh generation of each you have the most wicked man compared to the most righteous man.

No, the similarites are there and are clearly intentional, which give a person more than good reason to accepting the fact that the list was specifically chosen to demonstrate a theological point.
In the three genealogies in use we find the definition of yalad as actual father
Cain interacting with his family (clearly direct father)
Cain names a city after his son Enoch (direct father)
Adam is Seth's direct father
Seth named Enosh (Gen 4:26 actual father)
Lamech named Noah (actual father)
Yes, and there is nothing to say that the word can't go back and forth. My father is, after all, my ancestor. But that would not at all lead the observer to think that therefore all generations were direct, biological fathers. Further, as you point out, the text makes it VERY clear when there ARE actual fathers, which would lead the reader to conclude that the others were NOT direct fathers, but were, as previously demonstrated, selective.
Along with people naming their children, we have the ages (Gen. 5 and 11) at which the children are begotten. Therefore, you have shown no evidence for a broader meaning of yalad.
Yes, and the ages do not at all require the meaning of direct fathership. The word can perfectly well mean "became the ancestor of."
Cain's genealogy has 6 (or 7 if we go back to 4:1) names ending with the 4 children of Lamech. Most are begotten by women. There are no ages at all mentioned. Because, there are no ages we cannot know if the same time frame is meant to be covered.
The complete lack of ages whatsoever in Cain's line makes it clear that Moses wasn't interested in their timeline. He presented their line for another reason entire, which, I argue is to 1) create the setting for Gen 6, and 2) provide a contrast to the godly line of Seth, which Moses IS interested in.
Some of the names are similar or the same, but this is no help. For example, Enoch is in the wrong place. If we try to match up the names to determine if the amount of time was to be the same, the two Lamechs would show that Cain's genealogy ended at the time of Noah. It did not go all the way to the Flood. It stops 500 years earlier than Seth's line. This would bring Gen. 4 and 5 in line and tend rule out gaps.
See above.
Also, in Seth's line at least 3 and maybe 5 people begat sons well below the average age in his genealogy. This would tend to bring Seth's genealogy in line with Cain's, even though Cain had fewer names. Therefore, there is no evidence for gaps.
Wrong. It never says that the first child of each person is listed. People clearly had children from early to very late in life. The author is only interested in certain ones of those children and their lines, which all the more argumes in favor of gaps because it shows the selective nature of the geneologies.
Ch. 4
Cain's genealogy has 6 (or 7 if we go back to 4:1) names ending with the 4 children of Lamech.
I don't believe I said there were ten GENERATIONS each (that would preclude the possibility of gaps). I said there were ten NAMES each, starting with Adam. See the list above. I left off the name of Naamah because she is listed as "the sister of Tubal-Cain." We are dealing with heads of families here.

But, why then should she be listed? Because her name means "pleasantness." Now, what happens in Gen 6? The sons of God (Seth's line) see the daughers of men (Cain's line)--that they are pleasant--and take wives from then, as many as they choose. Again, the purpose of the name is to tie in to Gen 6, which AGAIN shows selectivity in the geneology.
Ch. 5
Seth's genealogy has 10 names ending with the 3 children of Noah.
See above. But that does bring up another intersting parallel . . . Seth's geneology end with three sons; Cain's geneology ends with three sons. Whose family, then, survives the Flood? Seth's, because they were godly.
Ch. 11
There are 9 names ending with the 3 children of Terah.
I'm not arguing that there are any structural similiarties between 4/5 and 11. The only reason those names are given is because all of them will come up later in the story.
The pattern is not the same in these genealogies. This is an old-earth creationist myth. One I fell for in the past.
I don't care which group of people have commonly held to gaps in the geneologies. The text proves it to be the case. More importantly, the text demonstrates that the selection was THEOLOGICALLY MOTIVATED. Moses wants his readers to see something specific, which he does.
The theological comparison between the Godly line of Seth and the ungodly line of Cain has no bearing on determining whether or not the text shows evidence for gaps in the genealogy.
Of course it does. The theological comparison CANNOT be made without selectivity in the geneologies.
Unless you assume the definition for yalad that must be proved, your method cannot deal with the difference between Genesis 11:12 and Luke 3:35-36 (the second Cainan). You have gone outside of your own interpretive method to deal with the differences.
See above.
So I stick to the understanding that Scripture-defining-Scripture goes backwards as well as forwards. This is why I can say Hebrews four shows the seventh day to be a long period of time and Luke 3:36 (as well as other latter genealogies, like Moses') shows that Genesis 11 has gaps.
And I've shown why you are wrong above. You do NOT need Luke 3:36 on this issue.

A MAJOR aspect of hermeneutics that you have misunderstood is the importance of looking at the theological context in which a passage is written. I can't blame you for that, because you CANNOT look at that if you believe future revelation can change the meaning of previous revelation. But that is why I asked where you got your hermeneutics from. If you get them from general revelation, then it isn't hard to show that you HAVE to consider the theological occasion of the writing, and if that is the case, then you have another reason for rejecting your view of hermeneutics.

Bottom line: I think your method of interpretation is simply wrong. If your method is wrong, so then will be many of your conclusions.
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

Don't mind me...

The thread moved here so I am responding so I can keep following the post :esmile: -
-
-
-
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys
dayage
Valued Member

Post by dayage »

Jac3510,

This debate is now almost pointless, because you are now only one step from my way of interpreting.
You first said each verse must be interpreted on its own:
Perhaps our difference is methodological, then (that is, hermeneutical). I believe that the meaning of each text is found within the text itself and is intelligible within the text itself. If I have to go to other texts to prove my point, what I am effectively doing is building a theology through which to read my passage. But that is the very definition of eisogesis.
Then:
Because I take Gen 1:29-30 in and of itself, with reference only to its own immediate context, I come to a different conclusion than he does.
Then it included earlier chapters:
I would point out that there are two genealogies that have to be dealt with, not just the one in Gen 11. So let's start with Gen 5, which is both in the context of 11 and prior to it.
Now it includes anything written by the same author:
I can appeal to its broader definition. Looking at a word's semantic range has nothing to do with future revelation. The word occurs 165 times in the Pentateuch. That is more than enough to get a feeling of how the word was used by Moses and to establish its semantic range.
Now just take the next step and let all of God's word help you.

I'll start with Gen. 11.
1. Theologically, Cain's line is ungodly whereas Seth's line is godly. The similarity here is one of religious tone.
I said this earlier
2. There are ten names listed in each.
No There are not 10 names in each. I showed you above, but you want to say names and not genealogies.
Cain's line has 8 generations and 10 names (minus one sister)
Seth's has 11 generations and 13 names
Shem's has 10 generations and 12 names
We are dealing with heads of families here.
Jabal was not listed as the head of a family, but as the first to dwell in a tent.
Jubal is only listed as the original harp and flute player, not the head of a family.
Same kind of thing with Tubal-Cain.
3. The names themselves are remarkably similar, showing they were purposefully chosen.
Enoch is clearly similar to Enosh; in the fourth generation, you have a fugitive vs. a dwelling; in the fifth, you have very similar names with antithetical meanings; both geneologies use Lamech (in one, Lamech brings polygamy into the world, in the other, Lamech brings rest to the world); in the seventh generation of each you have the most wicked man compared to the most righteous man.
Enoch and Enosh are only similar in English. In Hebrew they look different. Here is how they transliterate into English: Enoch (Chanowk), Enosh (Enowsh). The Hebrew looks even more different.

You are claiming that Kenan means "dwelling," but it most likely means "possession," but maybe "make a nest."

The parts about Lamech are interesting

Trying to determine the meaning of these names is not easy unless the text gives its meaning:
Methuselah
Using "man" for the first part of the name, the possible meanings are:
"Man of the sword"
"Man who was sent"

If we choose to use "to die" in the first part and fit it into the pre-flood context we get:
"When he dies it shall be sent"
"His death shall be sent"
"He shall die by the sword"

Lastly, if the first part means "land," we get:
"One who was sent through a land"

Methushael
The only things that make sense to me are:
"Man of demands"
"Man of inquiries"
"Man who is of God"
"Death that is of God"
"Land that is of God"
Of course it does. The theological comparison CANNOT be made without selectivity in the geneologies.
All you have to have is one line coming form Cain and one from Seth. The stories about Cain and Lamech are enough to show that this is an ungodly line.

The naming of sons within the text only demonstrates that the lists contain real fathers and sons. All you have done is to take the meaning of yalad from another text that fits what you believed.
Wrong. It never says that the first child of each person is listed. People clearly had children from early to very late in life. The author is only interested in certain ones of those children and their lines, which all the more argumes in favor of gaps because it shows the selective nature of the geneologies.
I never said this was the first child. My point was that the time frame in each could be brought closer together. The selection of the name of a latter child does not equate to skipping none direct descendant (grandchildren, etc).

You have not demonstrated from Genesis 11 or 4 and 5, why the meaning of yalad should not be connected to a literal child. You have gone to latter meanings to wiggle out of the contradiction your way of interpreting would be left with in Luke 3:36.
dayage
Valued Member

Post by dayage »

does not equate to skipping none direct descendant (grandchildren, etc).
does not equate to skipping non-direct descendants. In other words you cannot equate using a particular son's name to jumping ahead many generations into the future to find a name with the right meaning.
Jac3510
Ultimate Member

Post by Jac3510 »

Infuriating. I've lost my response TWICE now . . . Ah well. Those who persevere . . .

I'm going to leave the part about me being "one step" from interpreting the text the way you do until the end, because that tells me that you still don't understand what I am telling you on a fundamental level. So, let's start with the Gen 11 stuff.
No There are not 10 names in each. I showed you above, but you want to say names and not genealogies.
Cain's line has 8 generations and 10 names (minus one sister)
Seth's has 11 generations and 13 names
Shem's has 10 generations and 12 names
I've already listed the ten head-of-families in each. You can ignore that if you like and insist on taking it as a strictly single line, but ignoring a point is not the same as refuting it.
Jabal was not listed as the head of a family, but as the first to dwell in a tent.
Jubal is only listed as the original harp and flute player, not the head of a family.
Same kind of thing with Tubal-Cain.
You should read the text more carefully:

Jabal: "he was the father of those who live in tents and raise livestock."
Jubal: "he was the father of all who play the harp and flute."
Tubal-Cain: he "forged all kinds of tools out of bronze and iron."

There's that fatherhood thing I've been talking about. Now, you can point out that the word "father of" isn't used with reference to Tubal-Cain, and I'll just assume that you haven't looked into Hebrew parallelism.
Enoch and Enosh are only similar in English. In Hebrew they look different. Here is how they transliterate into English: Enoch (Chanowk), Enosh (Enowsh). The Hebrew looks even more different.
I take it you don't read Hebrew (yes, I do). The Hebrew words are very similar.

Enoch - spelled heth-nun-vav-kaph - pronounced haNOCH (soft 'ch', as in loch);
Enosh - spelled alpha-nun-vav-shin - pronounced eNOSH.
You are claiming that Kenan means "dwelling," but it most likely means "possession," but maybe "make a nest."
Ignoring Strong's online concordance, the root for Kenan is kan, which means, according to the Theological Wordbook of the Old Testament, "to make a nest." Strong's is nice, but pick up a copy of the TWOT (~$40). You can use it without being able to read Hebrew as it also has a numbering system and has an Strongs->TWOT conversion chart.
Trying to determine the meaning of these names is not easy unless the text gives its meaning:
Methuselah
Using "man" for the first part of the name, the possible meanings are:
"Man of the sword"
"Man who was sent"

If we choose to use "to die" in the first part and fit it into the pre-flood context we get:
"When he dies it shall be sent"
"His death shall be sent"
"He shall die by the sword"

Lastly, if the first part means "land," we get:
"One who was sent through a land"
That's fine. Choose either meaning. It doesn't affect my argument.
Methushael
The only things that make sense to me are:
"Man of demands"
"Man of inquiries"
"Man who is of God"
"Death that is of God"
"Land that is of God"
Again, choose any you like. The meaning of this name doesn't affect my argument either.
All you have to have is one line coming form Cain and one from Seth. The stories about Cain and Lamech are enough to show that this is an ungodly line.
Yes, I agree. But showing that Cain's line is ungodly isn't enough to show that a contrast is being made between Cain's and Seth's lines. That is done by means of selectively presenting the geneologies.
The naming of sons within the text only demonstrates that the lists contain real fathers and sons. All you have done is to take the meaning of yalad from another text that fits what you believed.
I'm glad you know my motive better than I do. As I've DEMONSTRATED, without reference to my beliefs, the text shows a good deal more than that. When taken in its historical context (that thing about the audience to whom it was written) and its literary context (its genre and how that is to be read) and its occasional context (the purpose for which it was written and how this narrative plays into the overall argument of the book), the exegesis I've provided is on very solid ground. You've done nothing to refute it except call into question obvious parallels--a major aspect of Hebrew literature.
I never said this was the first child. My point was that the time frame in each could be brought closer together. The selection of the name of a latter child does not equate to skipping none direct descendant (grandchildren, etc).
Yes, it COULD be brought closer together, but the obviously selective nature of the geneologies demonstrates that this is not the case.
You have not demonstrated from Genesis 11 or 4 and 5, why the meaning of yalad should not be connected to a literal child. You have gone to latter meanings to wiggle out of the contradiction your way of interpreting would be left with in Luke 3:36.
I'm not the one who keeps appealing to Luke 3:36. You are. I came to this understanding of the passage long before I studied the geneologies of Jesus. To be honest, Luke is my least studied Gospel. I've studied John deeply for its soteriology; Matthew for its relationship to the Kingdom; Mark because it is assumed to be the first Gospel written. The only in depth study I've done with Luke has been on his usage of the word "repent."

In any case, if the geneologies demonstrate signs of selectivity, which they do, then the obvious way to take the passage--the LITERAL, PLAIN MEANING of the passage--is that generations were skipped. There is no need to appeal to future revelation. I would defend this position without Luke's statement, just as I have done in this thread, in the past, and will in the future. Just because YOU need Luke doens't mean I do.

NOW

As far as your statement that we are very similar in our thought processes:

No, we aren't, and if you think that, I can only assume that I have not made myself at all clear, because we there is an irreconcilible chasm between us. Let me try to explain it this way.

There is clearly a single narrative that connects Genesis to Revelation, which points to a single Author. Let us call that, following Fee and Stewart's terminology, the First Level Narrative. It runs from Creation through the Cross to the Consumation. But that narrative was not revealed all at once. It was revealed over a series of millennia to dozens of authors. Thus, we are not surprised when we see the Second Level Narrative, namely, those large units of thought that give us the themes that create the First. For instance, we have the Patriarchal Age (the Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob narratives), the History of the Kingdom of Israel (pre-monarchy, monarchial, and post-monarchy), we have the life of Jesus, and the spread of the Church.

But none of those narratives, even, are self-contained. They were all told by multiple authors over a long period of time. That brings us to the third and final level, the Third Level Narrative. These are the individual stories that make up each aspect of the Second. For instance, you have the story of the Fall, of David and Goliath, and Jesus healing the lame man. THESE stories are self contained and must be interpreted as such.

How does this bear on proper hermeneutics? Simple: each book of the Bible contributes to the First, Second, and Third level narratives. But that is SECONDARY. What is primary is that each book was written by a specific person to specific people at a specific time and for a specific purpose. That means each book has a definitive goal it wants to achieve, a particular message it wants to convey. That message is PRIMARY, and it MUST be intelligible to the people to whom it was addressed. Thus, the purpose of Genesis is to provide an account of the origins of Israel so that the Exodus generation can see what made them so special, which would give them the confidence to overcome the Canaanites. Further, Genesis provides the foundation of the Pentateuch, which, again, was given to the Exodus generations, so that the people would have a law to live by in their new land.

Good so far. However, those purposes are not given with a single sentence. They are given with a series a narratives. A series of stories are used to paint the picture. Now, each story is a self-contained unit that makes its own point, and each point contributes to the overall thrust of the book. Let me illustrate by looking at Gen 1-11:

Gen 1 - Demonstrates God's universal sovereignty over creation;
Gen 2 - Demonstrates God's desire to rule the earth through Mankind, God's physical representative on earth;
Gen 3 - Demonstrates the break between man and God, and thus between God's two "kingdoms";
Gen 4-5 - Demonstrates the effects of sin and sets the stage for 6-9;
Gen 6-9 - Demonstrates the principle that the wicked will perish under God's judgment while the righteous are saved from it;
Gen 10-11 - Demonstrates that mankind still rebels from God, with his "declaration of independence" being the Tower of Babel.

Now, each of these points are great points in and of themselves. Taken in and of themselves, they can now be combined into units of thought:

Gen 1-3 - Mankind is in perfect harmony with God and creation but loses that harmony due to sin;
Gen 4-11 - Mankind's sin leads to death and disfellowship with and judgment from God;

Thus, the whole of 1-11 can be taken as a single unit that serves as the introduction to chapters 12-50, which is the MAIN POINT of the book. The whole unit shows how a great situation detiorated into a terrible one, man's harmony with all being reduced to alienation from God, creation, others, and himself.

That's just a quick example, but note that I started from the 3rd level and worked my way UP. You CANNOT start with unrevealed future revelation and use it to discover the meaning of an individual narrative. That renders the passage unintelligible to the original reader and thus unable to accomplish its purpose. You have the cart before the horse. You must treat each story on its own, as its own unit of thought, and then take THAT unit up and up and up until you get to the First level.

So, our fundamental difference is this:

You want to start with the First Level and use it as a basis for interpretation of the Third. I start with the Third as a way to build and understand the First. My method follows normal, plain old fashioned hermeneutics. Yours spiritualizes the text. My method reads the text in light of history. Yours imposes your systematic theology on it, which is a typical example of eisogesis.

You simply have it backwards, my friend. So no, we are far from being "one step" apart. I wish we were.