Hawking - Spontaneous Creation

Discussion about scientific issues as they relate to God and Christianity including archaeology, origins of life, the universe, intelligent design, evolution, etc.
August
Old School
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Hawking - Spontaneous Creation

Post by August »

Stephen Hawking is taking on God in a TV series, saying that there is no need for God, since spontaneous creation accounts for how the universe came into existence.

http://www.christianpost.com/news/steph ... ies-53293/

Right off the bat, there is a fundamental error in his reasoning. If there was nothing to start with, where did the laws of nature that he appeals to come from? According to his reasoning, the laws had to exist logically prior to the existence of the universe, which is simply impossible.

I suppose one will have to watch the program to get the full extent of his argument, but from this story it seems to be a lot of hand-waving and just so stories.
Acts 17:24-25 (NIV)
"The God who made the world and everything in it is the Lord of heaven and earth and does not live in temples built by hands. [25] And he is not served by human hands, as if he needed anything, because he himself gives all men life and breath and everything else."

//www.omnipotentgrace.org
//christianskepticism.blogspot.com
MarcusOfLycia

Re: Hawking - Spontaneous Creation

Post by MarcusOfLycia »

If things can spontaneously come into existence without any sort of cause, how can we trust scientific theory? Isn't it a sort of assumed fact that things -don't- spontaneously pop in and out of existence?
-- Josh

“When you see a man with a great deal of religion displayed in his shop window, you may depend upon it, he keeps a very small stock of it within” C.H. Spurgeon

1st Corinthians 1:17- "For Christ did not send me to baptize, but to preach the gospel””not with words of human wisdom, lest the cross of Christ be emptied of its power"
DannyM
Ultimate Member

Post by DannyM »

And If something could come out of nothing at the beginning of the universe, then something could come out of nothing now. If cows need no necessary or sufficient conditions to spontaneously appear out of nothing, then why couldn't a cow just appear in your front room right now? .
Last edited by DannyM on Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:58 am, edited 2 times in total.
credo ut intelligam

dei gratia
Gman
Old School

Post by Gman »

August wrote: Right off the bat, there is a fundamental error in his reasoning. If there was nothing to start with, where did the laws of nature that he appeals to come from? According to his reasoning, the laws had to exist logically prior to the existence of the universe, which is simply impossible.

I suppose one will have to watch the program to get the full extent of his argument, but from this story it seems to be a lot of hand-waving and just so stories.
Hawking's atheistic religion is no different than any other belief system out there. His religion requires miracles too.. In fact his miracles are even more preposterous and require more faith than any I have ever seen.

Well if he wants to gamble with his life and say that there is no god, I guess that is his prerogative.
The heart cannot rejoice in what the mind rejects as false - Galileo

We learn from history that we do not learn from history - Georg Friedrich Wilhelm Hegel

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things. -Philippians 4:8
narnia4
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by narnia4 »

I don't have much interest in Hawking to be honest, I've already read several people tear apart his recent book and even I can pick apart some of the base assumptions here. So much of it sounds like wild speculation with no backing that he touts as fact, honestly. My concern is that there are "the weak" out there that will buy into everything he says simply because of his reputation, unfortunately that's a larger number of people than you would hope.

Hopefully the program represents multiple points of view.

But yeah, anyone who thinks about it even a little bit should notice the glaring hole in his logic. The universe came to exist because of scientific laws, that's his grand explanation? Sheeeesh.
Young, Restless, Reformed
neo-x
Ultimate Member

Post by neo-x »

In "a brief history of time" he wrote something like this...If there was just gravity present, the entire universe would arise out of it.

I was like y:-/
It would be a blessing if they missed the cairns and got lost on the way back. Or if
the Thing on the ice got them tonight.

I could only turn and stare in horror at the chief surgeon.
Death by starvation is a terrible thing, Goodsir, continued Stanley.
And with that we went below to the flame-flickering Darkness of the lower deck
and to a cold almost the equal of the Dante-esque Ninth Circle Arctic Night
without.

//johnadavid.wordpress.com
August
Old School

Post by August »

It is clear that there still is no explanation for how the universe started that does not require something prior to it coming in to existence. To even suggest that it "just happened" is laughable, and this type of Dawkinsian philosophy will taint Hawking's legacy.

This also leaves atheism in a conundrum. If they want to appeal to the fact that something as complex as the universe can spontaneously appear, then one of their arguments, the "Who created God?" argument, can be answered in the same way..God spontaneously appeared. As to why Occam's Razor does not apply, and why God is needed, refer to the order established by the Laws of Nature, or are we to believe that the immutable, objective and non-physical laws spontaneously appeared as well, and universally apply to the physical, spontaneously. This sounds an awful lot like the stupid Dawkins "it was all just dumb luck and chance" argument.

I would be embarrassed to even propose arguments like this in public, yet here we have people taking it all serious and making TV shows about it.
"The God who made the world and everything in it is the Lord of heaven and earth and does not live in temples built by hands. [25] And he is not served by human hands, as if he needed anything, because he himself gives all men life and breath and everything else."

PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by PaulSacramento »

Since nature shows us that NOTHING can spontaneous be created ( we don';t have any evidence of that in the natural world), then what Hawkings is suggesting is a "miracle".
And if we are to believe in miracles, then...
DannyM
Ultimate Member

Post by DannyM »

August wrote:It is clear that there still is no explanation for how the universe started that does not require something prior to it coming in to existence. To even suggest that it "just happened" is laughable, and this type of Dawkinsian philosophy will taint Hawking's legacy.

This also leaves atheism in a conundrum. If they want to appeal to the fact that something as complex as the universe can spontaneously appear, then one of their arguments, the "Who created God?" argument, can be answered in the same way..God spontaneously appeared. As to why Occam's Razor does not apply, and why God is needed, refer to the order established by the Laws of Nature, or are we to believe that the immutable, objective and non-physical laws spontaneously appeared as well, and universally apply to the physical, spontaneously. This sounds an awful lot like the stupid Dawkins "it was all just dumb luck and chance" argument.

I would be embarrassed to even propose arguments like this in public, yet here we have people taking it all serious and making TV shows about it.
Sometimes one is just compelled to say Hear Hear
credo ut intelligam

dei gratia
Murray
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Murray »

Are you referring to the "did god create the universe" discovery special that is premiring tonight or sometime close to now. I was actually hopeing that was a un-bais look at the question but I guess if hawkins plays a large part in it , it will just be another bash christian seminar.
in nomine patri et fili spiritu sancte
August
Old School

Post by August »

Murray wrote:Are you referring to the "did god create the universe" discovery special that is premiring tonight or sometime close to now. I was actually hopeing that was a un-bais look at the question but I guess if hawkins plays a large part in it , it will just be another bash christian seminar.
It is in the article linked above. The show is called "Curiosity".

Murray
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Murray »

^

That's good news, perhaps I still can enjoy that "did god create the universe" show then
in nomine patri et fili spiritu sancte
1over137
Technical Admin
Sex: Female

Post by 1over137 »

neo-x wrote:In "a brief history of time" he wrote something like this...If there was just gravity present, the entire universe would arise out of it.
Where in the book was it written? I am curious what exactly he wrote.
But examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
-- 1 Thessalonians 5:21

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.
-- Philippians 1:6

#foreverinmyheart
1over137
Technical Admin
Sex: Female

Post by 1over137 »

Scientists should be more careful in using the word 'nothing'. They instead should use the word 'vacuum'. So, given the physical laws, the universe could poped out of vacuum. But vacuum is not nothing. And still there is a question about the origin of the physical laws. Well, one can state that they were, are, and will be. But then atheism is also a faith.
But examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
-- 1 Thessalonians 5:21

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.
-- Philippians 1:6

#foreverinmyheart
SnowDrops
Established Member
Christian: No

Post by SnowDrops »

Yup, I agree - the only suitable definition for true nothing I have found is "what rocks dream of". So when someone starts talking about nothing, I would ask them if this definition is fitting.
The first step to learning is to admit that you don't know.