Why is there something rather than nothing?

Discussions on a ranges of philosophical issues including the nature of truth and reality, personal identity, mind-body theories, epistemology, justification of beliefs, argumentation and logic, philosophy of religion, free will and determinism, etc.
Seraph
Christian: No
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Re: Why is there something rather than nothing?

Post by Seraph »

It seems to me that no matter what worldview you hold, there never was (or could've been) absolutely nothing. Theists believe that there was always God (God is something rather than nothing. If there was ever an absolute nothing, God wouldn't exist), and Atheists tend to believe that there was either always a universe and it's continuously expanded and contracted or that the multiverse preceeds the universe and always existed.

So trying to answer "Why is there something rather than nothing?" doesn't really point to any specific worldview. I think there is something rather than nothing because absolute nothingness is impossible by it's nature. As long as there is a reality, something has to exist, even if it were just the fabric of reality itself.
I am committed to belief in God, as the most morally demanding, psychologically enriching, intellectually satisfying and imaginatively fruitful hypothesis about the ultimate nature of reality known to me - Keith Ward
SnowDrops
Established Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by SnowDrops »

Seraph wrote:It seems to me that no matter what worldview you hold, there never was (or could've been) absolutely nothing. Theists believe that there was always God (God is something rather than nothing. If there was ever an absolute nothing, God wouldn't exist), and Atheists tend to believe that there was either always a universe and it's continuously expanded and contracted or that the multiverse preceeds the universe and always existed.

So trying to answer "Why is there something rather than nothing?" doesn't really point to any specific worldview. I think there is something rather than nothing because absolute nothingness is impossible by it's nature. As long as there is a reality, something has to exist, even if it were just the fabric of reality itself.
Well, you would think so, but some atheists actually say that the universe came from nothing. :lol: Wait, that was a joke, right? Well no, it isn't. And that's what I'm saying.
As for "there never could have been nothing", well, you dodged the question. I'm not asking if, I'm asking why or how. For theists, God always existed and exists unaffected by all laws except logic and therefore can simply exist eternally and create the universe. Cet-to pretty much confirmed that with the two videos he posted. But for atheists this is quite a problem. Of course, they have tried to refute it with steady state theory,the multiverse, etc., but it seems these "solutions" have been refuted.
The first step to learning is to admit that you don't know.
SnowDrops
Established Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by SnowDrops »

http://godandscience.org/evolution/crea ... s_god.html

Anybody see the new page? It seems to answer this question fairly well. And at the same time it says that to answer it you need an omnipotent being.
The first step to learning is to admit that you don't know.