What has a soul?

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
CaptainBeatDown
Acquainted Member
Christian: No
Sex: Female
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

What has a soul?

Post by CaptainBeatDown »

How are souls placed into humans?
Do plants and animals have souls? What about insects?
Everyone is made up of DNA,and created when an egg and sperm are joined,unless it's asexual reproduction.
Insects,animals and plants are created in the same way. Eggs are fertilized and it turns into whatever DNA programs it to be.
Do clones have souls? Nowadays scientists are making stem cells into sperm cells,that have later turned into animals. So if a human is created in a lab or is a test tube baby,do they have a soul? What is the concept of a soul? Your brain stores information and memories,diseases can destroy it and it's all flesh-based. When you die your brain shuts down and your body decomposes. How will a soul hold things as memories,personal identities? I don't want biblical verses,or quotes they don't explain things. Or how it all works out. I want science. This is Evidence for God from science.
Troll. lol.lol. : )
Last edited by CaptainBeatDown on Sun Nov 06, 2011 3:09 pm, edited 3 times in total.
MarcusOfLycia
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male

Re: What has a soul?

Post by MarcusOfLycia »

I'd challenge you to read through Descartes and get back to me, but I'm not so sure you would go that far. I'll put it this way: The thing you can be surest about is your own existence. Everything else is external and could be an illusion in any number of ways. If you can't trust your own existence, then there's no point in trying to debate the trivial topic of external and more untrustworthy things.
-- Josh

“When you see a man with a great deal of religion displayed in his shop window, you may depend upon it, he keeps a very small stock of it within” C.H. Spurgeon

1st Corinthians 1:17- "For Christ did not send me to baptize, but to preach the gospel””not with words of human wisdom, lest the cross of Christ be emptied of its power"
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

CaptainBeatDown wrote:How are souls placed into humans?
By Human Crazy Glue!!! :pound:

Sorry but just could not resist :wave:
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys
CaptainBeatDown
Acquainted Member

That's all lovely and such. Doesn't answer me though. I know I exist,if there's a cause and affect of my actions in this world. I am also aware that other things in this world do exist,I can die any moment just as anything else. I feel as if everything is extremely real,and I will not choose to believe that everything is "external" and could be an illusion. If I can see it and touch it,it's not an illusion unless I'm schizophrenic. But I have not been diagnosed with such an illness. Although the concept of a soul is an illusion,I do not see or touch it. I have not seen ghosts. I have to see and touch it. If not,then the idea of me believing in a soul is an idea that is an illusion. If you're telling me not to wonder about trivial things then what's the point of having a section called "Questions for Christians?" Or going in here and browsing topics and responding? Wouldn't that be as trivial too? You're telling me there's no point in trying and debate about things,but you put enough concern to read and reply to this topic. That's hypocritical. All I'm asking for is an answer,and as earlier I want science,none of this talk of illusions.
CaptainBeatDown
Acquainted Member

Who says I don't trust my own existence? I trust that I have existence,but do you? It seems as if not. You should be able to question things freely and come back to the same resolution if it's an extremely trusted idea. Real trust is being able to question something openly and receiving honest feedback. It's the same way the court system works too,you have a case brought against you and people who are logical should be able to prove or disprove that case against you. And the people are judges,and determine whether or not it's truthful. If a judge just blindly "trusted" the defendant based on word and never payed attention to the jury or prosecutor:murderers and serial killers would be let loose. We must be unbiased and be able to question things,if not psychotic people caught up in there own personal ideologies of their own supremacy will reign. I'm not saying you're anything like that.: ) You seem very nice,especially since you were kind enough to respond.
Murray
Esteemed Senior Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Murray »

I don't think you would be convinced if I wrote you a 3 page essay.............

You would not accept our concept of a soul and proof if we told you so why bother?

I believe animals have spirits, humans have souls, and humans grown in labs still go through a process to life so maybe they have souls. Honestly there is no way to prove if they have souls or not..

The best proof for a soul if you ask me is thin about yourself. Move your hand, get a concept of your existence. You are a soul in a body, you have control of a body, its amazing if you think about it. Put thought into it, that’s what changed me from a militant atheist to a Christian, I started thinking critically.
in nomine patri et fili spiritu sancte
Proinsias
Advanced Senior Member

Post by Proinsias »

CaptainBeatDown wrote:Although the concept of a soul is an illusion,I do not see or touch it.
If it wasn't an illusion would you be able to see and touch it?
Echoside
Valued Member

Post by Echoside »

Everyone is made up of DNA,and created when an egg and sperm are joined,unless it's asexual reproduction.
Insects,animals and plants are created in the same way. Eggs are fertilized and it turns into whatever DNA programs it to be.
Do clones have souls? Nowadays scientists are making stem cells into sperm cells,that have later turned into animals. So if a human is created in a lab or is a test tube baby,do they have a soul? What is the concept of a soul? Your brain stores information and memories,diseases can destroy it and it's all flesh-based. When you die your brain shuts down and your body decomposes. How will a soul hold things as memories,personal identities? I don't want biblical verses,or quotes they don't explain things. Or how it all works out. I want science. This is Evidence for God from science.
What makes you think souls exist?
Murray
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Murray »

Echoside wrote:
What makes you think souls exist?

Your very state of being. The fact that you see what you see, you move this body you control. It's amazing when you think about it.

Think deep , very very deep, think of how you are who you are, it's a revalation when you really start thinking about it.....
Echoside
Valued Member

Post by Echoside »

Murray wrote:
Your very state of being. The fact that you see what you see, you move this body you control. It's amazing when you think about it.

Think deep , very very deep, think of how you are who you are, it's a revalation when you really start thinking about it.....
I meant in terms of scriptural support. How do you attack a position you aren't even sure exists? I've read the bible and I don't recall it explicitly stating that I'm a spiritual essence masquerading in the flesh.
Murray
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Murray »

You are confusing me now...

Are you trying to ask me a question from an agnostic/atheistic perspective or an biblical perspective.

Most atheist would not accept an argument from a book they do not believe so I tryed to make a non-biblical argument.

And what is it you want? Biblical support for a spirit..... or what.. Im not sure where your going at
Echoside
Valued Member

Post by Echoside »

Murray wrote:You are confusing me now...

Are you trying to ask me a question from an agnostic/atheistic perspective or an biblical perspective.

Most atheist would not accept an argument from a book they do not believe so I tryed to make a non-biblical argument.

And what is it you want? Biblical support for a spirit..... or what.. Im not sure where your going at
My original question was directed at the OP, in the sense that he seems to be implying it's absurd for a soul to exist, therefore God doesn't exist. The point is if there is not a separate "being" from our physical bodies implied by the bible than the argument itself is absurd.

It's a common thought sure, but I'd like something beyond conventional wisdom to tell me how a soul is scripturally supported.

edit : I'm not necessarily saying there isn't a spiritual aspect to our bodies, but the OP described it as "how are souls placed into bodies" as if I could die right now and zoom around as a ghost. I think the issue is a bit more complicated than that.
Katabole
Valued Member
Creation Position: Gap Theory

Post by Katabole »

Scriptural support that God created souls.

Isaiah 57:16 (KJV) For I will not contend for ever, neither will I be always wroth: for the spirit should fail before me, and the souls which I have made.
There are two types of people in our world: those who believe in Christ and those who will.

If Christianity is a man-made religion, then why is its doctrine vehemently against all of man's desires?

Every one that is of the truth hears my voice. Jesus from John 18:37
Murray
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Murray »

I think Ezekiel 18:4 , Matthew 26:41 and Psalms 84:2 pretty well states the existence of souls......

And If you don't mind me asking, do you believe in a soul?
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

While this article doesn't answer how God gave us souls, I believe it's a pretty good explanation of one interpretation of what the bible says about souls, and what a soulish creature is.
http://www.reasons.org/OriginofSoulishAnimals
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony