God's love, individual or collective?

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
cubeus19
Established Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

God's love, individual or collective?

Post by cubeus19 »

Hi all, I was wanting to ask you all about what kind of impression you all get about God's love for each of us while reading the scriptures. Does God love each of us individually for slightly or even vastly different reasons or does He just love humanity as a collective?

To give you more of an example of what I'm talking about for instance when a person is friends with someone else or when two people of the opposite sex is in love with each other, if you were to ask them why do you love this or that person you will get a variety of answers such as "i love him because he is kind and humble towards people" or "i love her because she gives selflessly to help others in need". I was wondering does God while loving all of us, also loves us individually for certain special reasons or qualities that each person specifically has?

One of the things I've heard in the past from a local pastor is that "if you were the only person God ever created and you had to have your sins covered God would send Jesus specifically to die just for you". Now I wonder if this is the kind of love that God has for each of us or not. I certainly can't find anything in scripture that says that and I'm almost left with the idea that God may not specifically love us individually for special reasons that only that one person specifically has but instead just loves the "whole" of "humanity". Because afterall it isn't that "for God so loved John, Bob, or Mary" but "for God so loved "the world".

Just interested in what you all think, I would love to see your toughts on this. Thanks, take care.
1over137
Technical Admin
Christian: Yes
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Re: God's love, individual or collective?

Post by 1over137 »

Matthew 10:29-31
29 Are not two sparrows sold for a cent? And yet not one of them will fall to the ground apart from your Father. 30 But the very hairs of your head are all numbered. 31 So do not fear; you are more valuable than many sparrows.

John 14:21
21 He who has My commandments and keeps them is the one who loves Me; and he who loves Me will be loved by My Father, and I will love him and will disclose Myself to him.”

Psalms 139:1-6
1 O LORD, You have searched me and known me.
2 You know when I sit down and when I rise up;
You understand my thought from afar.
3 You scrutinize my path and my lying down,
And are intimately acquainted with all my ways.
4 Even before there is a word on my tongue,
Behold, O LORD, You know it all.
5 You have enclosed me behind and before,
And laid Your hand upon me.
6 Such knowledge is too wonderful for me;
It is too high, I cannot attain to it.

We are also loved individually.
But examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
-- 1 Thessalonians 5:21

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.
-- Philippians 1:6

#foreverinmyheart