If evolution is true

Discussions on a ranges of philosophical issues including the nature of truth and reality, personal identity, mind-body theories, epistemology, justification of beliefs, argumentation and logic, philosophy of religion, free will and determinism, etc.
spartanII
Established Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

If evolution is true

Post by spartanII »

So i've been thinking about this a lot lately.
If atheism is true, we're nothing more than car engines. Our brains are governed by physical laws/biological laws and "choice," is just an illusion.
If evolution is true, it seems like nobody wins. We're just on a cosmic deathbed heading for entropy/heat death. It seems to go hand-in-hand that we are just matter, we have no control over anything, we're just car engines.

Now why is that evolution seems to be true, if we can't even verify the external world (immaterial things like ideas) then why is it we found out about evolution and it's "truth?"

Hinduism also seems to fit in with this. It has no savior and Krishna came down to earth for no good reason other than to teach a good lesson. All matter that makes us up will eventually make us up again, and again, and again. There is no purpose. Just like evolution. It seems like Brahman, the impersonal God, has led us to that. Not that I believe in him, just saying theoretically. He's lead us to something purposeless, with a purposeless designer evolution, there is no purpose, there is no salvation. Just a good lesson. Over, and over, and over, and over again.
Hopefully that makes sense

Evolution (purposeless) ~ Hinduism (purposeless) (don't they go hand in hand?)

Evolution seems to shoot philosophy right in the head. Everything is irrelevant. Nobody wins. It's depressing :/
Atheist: "Science says it, I believe it, That settles it."
Seraph
Christian: No
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Re: If evolution is true

Post by Seraph »

I think you might be thinking of Atheism rather than evolution. Or possibly nihilism or metaphysical naturalism.

Evolution though? That doesn't imply any of the above.
I am committed to belief in God, as the most morally demanding, psychologically enriching, intellectually satisfying and imaginatively fruitful hypothesis about the ultimate nature of reality known to me - Keith Ward
spartanII
Established Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by spartanII »

Seraph wrote:I think you might be thinking of Atheism rather than evolution. Or possibly nihilism or metaphysical naturalism.

Evolution though? That doesn't imply any of the above.
It seems to have a purposeless designer though. (evolution) kind of like Brahman. He doesn't care. He's impersonal

Also, think about this, if choice is an illusion (i.e. atheism/materialistic determinism), then you committing suicide was never a choice. Nature lead you there. It's so scary. I don't buy into that crap, haha, but being an atheist must be so weird.
Atheist: "Science says it, I believe it, That settles it."
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

If evolution is true it means that God has given living organisims the ability to adapt and change to better survive in their environment.
Seraph
Christian: No

Post by Seraph »

It seems to have a purposeless designer though. (evolution) kind of like Brahman. He doesn't care. He's impersonal
Not really, evolution only went in the direction it did because the universe and its laws are the way they are. A theistic evolutionist can believe that God interviened at specific points in evolutionary history or that God "wound up the clock" in a specifically designed way at the big bang and let it roll. I don't think God not having to constantly jump in takes away from the personalness of it all.
I am committed to belief in God, as the most morally demanding, psychologically enriching, intellectually satisfying and imaginatively fruitful hypothesis about the ultimate nature of reality known to me - Keith Ward
Hjarloprillar
Newbie Member

Post by Hjarloprillar »

Is evolution true?

Here is my perspective. Oblique to many others but i'll list in groups.

1.[generalism]
There is far more empirical evidence for directed evolution than creationism or randomness.
vastly more.
If the world was created.. Why does it display all the indications of multi billion year evolution.
Ergo. Randomness is counted out. The very rules by which reality works cannot have come from random result of a big bang.
The rules are fine tuned and work together. They 'evolved ' or were designed.
If they evolved. That is is question so monumental that it makes 'direction of the laws of reality' a small thing.

5. God is. What it is and why is beyond us.

Christianity says it is 'this and that'. I wont argue.. maybe it is.

Prill
Hjarloprillar
Newbie Member

Post by Hjarloprillar »

The side order. like a 'Hot chilli dip'

is determinism.

30 years i have worried that bone
Hjarloprillar
Newbie Member

Post by Hjarloprillar »

well quoted