What am I to do?

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
zcaz
Newbie Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

What am I to do?

Post by zcaz »

I'm not happy with life.. I'm constantly depressed, in a slump.. it seems like no matter what I do I can not become happy.. I have spent a lot of time researching and trying to believe in God and the word, I think I believe... but IDK..

I pray and talk to God everynight, I try to get answers.. why am I always so angry? Why don't I find enjoyment in life? Why despite my prayers and my attempts to stop sinning do I still feel this way? I feel as if I am worse off than ever before... What am i to do?
1over137
Technical Admin
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Re: What am I to do?

Post by 1over137 »

But examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
-- 1 Thessalonians 5:21

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.
-- Philippians 1:6

#foreverinmyheart
MarcusOfLycia

Post by MarcusOfLycia »

When I was in high school and then again in early college years, I was depressed more often than not. at youth group I'd always bring that up. We prayed about it but it never fully went away. In retrospect, I know part of it was seasonal. I want to say the rest was spiritual. I think what helped me the most was a series of really terrible situations that helped me put priorities in order. It is strange for me to think that harder times actually helped, but I know they did.

I'm not saying to go look for trouble. It always bound to find us anyway. Just know that you aren't the only one and it doesn't last forever. Someday, you'll be all the better for it.
-- Josh

“When you see a man with a great deal of religion displayed in his shop window, you may depend upon it, he keeps a very small stock of it within” C.H. Spurgeon

1st Corinthians 1:17- "For Christ did not send me to baptize, but to preach the gospel””not with words of human wisdom, lest the cross of Christ be emptied of its power"
jlay
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by jlay »

I went through depression, anger, panic disorder through my college years. I can't speak for you, but for me it was very much tied to my spiritual life.

Can you be more specific in what you by, 'trying to believe in God.'
-“The Bible treated allegorically becomes putty in the hands of the exegete.” John Walvoord

"I'm not saying scientists don't overstate their results. They do. And it's understandable, too...If you spend years working toward a certain goal and make no progress, of course you are going to spin your results in a positive light." Ivellious
narnia4
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by narnia4 »

One thing I try to remind myself of all the time is that you do have to build on those foundations and live the full Christian life. Sounds like you're doing some of the praying. Yoda isn't always Biblical, but I think his "Do or do not, there is no try" has some application to it. Build your relationship with God. Trust in him and you don't need to carry these burdens yourself. What you're going through really is natural and crops up even with mature Christians. But growing spiritually certainly helps.

I can't speak for you, but when I have had doubts I rarely found them to even really be founded on anything substantial. In other words, I did my homework and knew that there was a sufficient reasonable foundation for a reasonable faith in God... but doubt, skepticism, and questions... these things can be emotionally based as well and often are. When I came at things from a balanced, reasonable perspective, doubts and depression really weren't an issue (I also feel like I've been blessed with a temperament that makes depression a pretty rare thing).

As that Gotquestions link pointed out, clinical depression is real as well. Time (sometimes you just need to accept and live through certain seasons in life), faith, and growth... those are three of the best things I can think of.
Young, Restless, Reformed