Should we worship Him?

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
1over137
Technical Admin
Christian: Yes
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Should we worship Him?

Post by 1over137 »

That is a question posted by one atheist on one forum. He wrote:

"if god revealed himself to me, and told me how to worship him, i would then consider if he was worthy of worship before doing anything. I find that is a question that isn't asked enough about god "should we worship him?"

The old testament god doesn't strike me as a very nice fellow, even if i was put in hell for eternity, I don't like the idea of worshiping a cruel despot."

--------------------

I know that there is a book by P. Copan: Is God a moral monster. I wil mention that. But I wonder about your comments. Thanks a lot.
But examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
-- 1 Thessalonians 5:21

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.
-- Philippians 1:6

#foreverinmyheart
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Re: Should we worship Him?

Post by PaulSacramento »

If one believes God to be immoral then NO God is not deserving of worship.
But what is the source of that belief?
What makes one think that God is immoral? what is that view based on?
Yes, it is true that certain passages make God seem genocidal and immoral, but is that the view of the writer of those passages? or Our view base don how WE INTERPRET those passages in light of what we THINK we know?
How many of us play moral judge to a person we have never met, based solely on something that was written years ago by an unknow author? much less 1000 of years ago? in particular when we have OTHER writings showing Him to be very different?
If we don't do that with people, why do that with God?
MarcusOfLycia

Post by MarcusOfLycia »

That's interesting to me. So, what he's saying is that even if the God of the Universe approached him and said "Okay, I'm God", it wouldn't be enough for worship? The created thing that is sustained by the will of the Creator is arrogant enough, even with 100% confirmation and evidence, to say he knows better? Such arrogance shouldn't be allowed to be the arbiter of what is truly worthy of worship.
-- Josh

“When you see a man with a great deal of religion displayed in his shop window, you may depend upon it, he keeps a very small stock of it within” C.H. Spurgeon

1st Corinthians 1:17- "For Christ did not send me to baptize, but to preach the gospel””not with words of human wisdom, lest the cross of Christ be emptied of its power"
Echoside
Valued Member

Post by Echoside »

MarcusOfLycia wrote:That's interesting to me. So, what he's saying is that even if the God of the Universe approached him and said "Okay, I'm God", it wouldn't be enough for worship? The created thing that is sustained by the will of the Creator is arrogant enough, even with 100% confirmation and evidence, to say he knows better? Such arrogance shouldn't be allowed to be the arbiter of what is truly worthy of worship.

I'd consider what is worthy of worship to be an opinion in the above scenario, I don't think that any more arrogant than disagreeing with god as to what flavor topping I would like on my ice cream.
MarcusOfLycia

Post by MarcusOfLycia »

Echoside wrote:
MarcusOfLycia wrote:That's interesting to me. So, what he's saying is that even if the God of the Universe approached him and said "Okay, I'm God", it wouldn't be enough for worship? The created thing that is sustained by the will of the Creator is arrogant enough, even with 100% confirmation and evidence, to say he knows better? Such arrogance shouldn't be allowed to be the arbiter of what is truly worthy of worship.

I'd consider what is worthy of worship to be an opinion in the above scenario, I don't think that any more arrogant than disagreeing with god as to what flavor topping I would like on my ice cream.
But how can human beings decide 'what is worthy of worship'. Clearly it implies some sort of standard, and like all standards, we human beings can't be the creator of it. What bugs me is that this guy has already demonstrated that he is opposed to God not based on the merits of any evidence but on his own dislike for who God is in the first place.
-- Josh

“When you see a man with a great deal of religion displayed in his shop window, you may depend upon it, he keeps a very small stock of it within” C.H. Spurgeon

1st Corinthians 1:17- "For Christ did not send me to baptize, but to preach the gospel””not with words of human wisdom, lest the cross of Christ be emptied of its power"
Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Danieltwotwenty »

MarcusOfLycia wrote:
Echoside wrote:

But how can human beings decide 'what is worthy of worship'. Clearly it implies some sort of standard, and like all standards, we human beings can't be the creator of it. What bugs me is that this guy has already demonstrated that he is opposed to God not based on the merits of any evidence but on his own dislike for who God is in the first place.
"opposed to God not based on the merits of any evidence but on his own dislike for who God is in the first place" Souds like somthing Lucifer thought before he rebelled ^^ y/:)
1Tim1:15-17
Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his immense patience as an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life. Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever.Amen.
Echoside
Valued Member

Post by Echoside »

MarcusOfLycia wrote: But how can human beings decide 'what is worthy of worship'. Clearly it implies some sort of standard, and like all standards, we human beings can't be the creator of it. What bugs me is that this guy has already demonstrated that he is opposed to God not based on the merits of any evidence but on his own dislike for who God is in the first place.
Replace "what is worthy of worship" with "what ice cream flavor is the best", and my point would be that no matter how powerful the god in question is, if it's not the Christian God (or extremely similar) there's no apparent reason to go along with it. We might not be the creator of the standard, but for things like morality don't you think the standard would have to be instilled in us to make them more than subjective? If we are created in God's image then the objective standard of morality is without excuse, otherwise the concept seems to be meaningless no matter how ultra powerful the god in question is
MarcusOfLycia

Post by MarcusOfLycia »

I can see what you're saying. And I agree that it isn't power that makes God worthy of worship. I guess what got me uptight about the question was the presumption inherent in it. The presumption being that 'even if God exists, I already reject Him'. It seems like a justification to be an atheist regardless of the truthfulness of God's existence.

I think you're onto something when you reference how God is also the moral standard Creator. If He is, then our temporary feelings, when opposed to Him, must be based on our incomplete understanding of what He is really doing. I think that happens a lot, to be honest, regardless of who we are.
-- Josh

CeT-To

Post by CeT-To »

But joy and happiness in you to all who seek you! Let them ceaselessly cry,"Great is Yahweh" who love your saving power. Psalm 40:16

I Praise you Yahweh, my Lord, my God!!!!!
neo-x
Ultimate Member

Post by neo-x »

1over137 on Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:45 pm

That is a question posted by one atheist on one forum. He wrote:

"if god revealed himself to me, and told me how to worship him, i would then consider if he was worthy of worship before doing anything. I find that is a question that isn't asked enough about god "should we worship him?"

The old testament god doesn't strike me as a very nice fellow, even if i was put in hell for eternity, I don't like the idea of worshiping a cruel despot."

--------------------

I know that there is a book by P. Copan: Is God a moral monster. I wil mention that. But I wonder about your comments. Thanks a lot.
This is just sad. I can assure you that whoever said that does not have an iota of the idea of the person of God. To him he is a tyrant, which is far from the truth.

When an evil heart turns from God, he makes for himself all kinds of idols or things that he may rejoice in.

But when a heart which is honest in itself, turns from God, it does not make for itself idols or anything to replace it, instead it imagines a God that is so pure and so right that he is above things like justice, punishment & reward. A God that would forgive about everyone, that can make this world overnight into a utopia. But in reality this is also a trap-concept, no matter how simple or noble it sounds. Human beings tend to be cruel, injustice happens in this world and God justifies it in the end.

I would have actually asked this man, what kind of a nice-fellow-God you would like to worship? And I can assure you his answer would be, one that can be buddies with me OR the one who never punishes or does anything that he considers bad.
It would be a blessing if they missed the cairns and got lost on the way back. Or if
the Thing on the ice got them tonight.

I could only turn and stare in horror at the chief surgeon.
Death by starvation is a terrible thing, Goodsir, continued Stanley.
And with that we went below to the flame-flickering Darkness of the lower deck
and to a cold almost the equal of the Dante-esque Ninth Circle Arctic Night
without.

//johnadavid.wordpress.com