Origin of other Religions

Discussions about the Bible, and any issues raised by Scripture.
JSW
Newbie Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Origin of other Religions

Post by JSW »

In Genesis 6 the Scripture talks about how the sons of God had children with the daughters of men. This brought to me the thought of other religions. The first that comes to mind is Greek then Roman. I honestly do not believe any religion is "made up" and that these "gods" could have been talking about the angels that mated with humans. Any comments about this or the origin of other religions?
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member
Sex: It's Complicated
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Re: Origin of other Religions

Post by Furstentum Liechtenstein »

JSW wrote: I honestly do not believe any religion is "made up" and that these "gods" could have been talking about the angels that mated with humans. Any comments about this or the origin of other religions?
The answer to your question about the origin of false faiths can be found in Romans 1:18-32.

FL
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

Furstentum Liechtenstein wrote:
JSW wrote: I honestly do not believe any religion is "made up" and that these "gods" could have been talking about the angels that mated with humans. Any comments about this or the origin of other religions?
The answer to your question about the origin of false faiths can be found in Romans 1:18-32.

FL
Just wanted to say welcome back FL. It's so good to see folks go away for a while, sometimes a long while, and still come back and be a part of this unique community.
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member

Byblos wrote:Just wanted to say welcome back FL. It's so good to see folks go away for a while, sometimes a long while, and still come back and be a part of this unique community.
Thank you, Byblos!

FL
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
DannyM
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by DannyM »

Furstentum Liechtenstein wrote:
Byblos wrote:Just wanted to say welcome back FL. It's so good to see folks go away for a while, sometimes a long while, and still come back and be a part of this unique community.
Thank you, Byblos!

FL
I've missed your postings, FL, and am heartily glad to see you back!!
credo ut intelligam

dei gratia
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member

DannyM wrote:I've missed your postings, FL, and am heartily glad to see you back!!
:cloud9: merci beaucoup!

+ + +

+ + +
Steve
Acquainted Member
Christian: No

Post by Steve »

JSW wrote:In Genesis 6 the Scripture talks about how the sons of God had children with the daughters of men. This brought to me the thought of other religions. The first that comes to mind is Greek then Roman. I honestly do not believe any religion is "made up" and that these "gods" could have been talking about the angels that mated with humans. Any comments about this or the origin of other religions?
You really don't think that any religions are made up? What about those people that followed David Koresh (clearly people worshiping a mere human) or wiccans or Scientologists or Raelians (http://www.rael.org/)? There are a lot of really strange religions out there. The belief in the church of the flying spaghetti monster was definitely made up. Personally, I think that all religions are made up.
Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Danieltwotwenty »

Steve wrote:
JSW wrote:In Genesis 6 the Scripture talks about how the sons of God had children with the daughters of men. This brought to me the thought of other religions. The first that comes to mind is Greek then Roman. I honestly do not believe any religion is "made up" and that these "gods" could have been talking about the angels that mated with humans. Any comments about this or the origin of other religions?
You really don't think that any religions are made up? What about those people that followed David Koresh (clearly people worshiping a mere human) or wiccans or Scientologists or Raelians (http://www.rael.org/)? There are a lot of really strange religions out there. The belief in the church of the flying spaghetti monster was definitely made up. Personally, I think that all religions are made up.
Science is a religion too these days, is that made up?
But i do agree that religion is a man made institution and is not nessesary for a belief in God or are you saying an intelligent creator is made up also?
1Tim1:15-17
Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his immense patience as an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life. Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever.Amen.