Hello

Whether you are new or just lurking, take a moment to introduce yourself or discuss something general.
Johnny916
Familiar Member
Christian: No
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Re: Hello

Post by Johnny916 »

Thanks.
These are the books I have now:
The Wisdom in the Hebrew Alphabet (ArtScroll (Mesorah)), HEBREW in 10 minutes a day with CD-ROM, and The First Hebrew Primer: The Adult Beginner's Path to Biblical Hebrew, Third Edition.
Murray
Esteemed Senior Member
Christian: Yes
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Murray »

Well I'm a bit late but, Hello and welcome to the site :ebiggrin:
in nomine patri et fili spiritu sancte
Johnny916
Familiar Member

Post by Johnny916 »

Thanks! Murray.
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

Johnny916 wrote:Thanks.
These are the books I have now:
The Wisdom in the Hebrew Alphabet (ArtScroll (Mesorah)), HEBREW in 10 minutes a day with CD-ROM, and The First Hebrew Primer: The Adult Beginner's Path to Biblical Hebrew, Third Edition.
I have not read - Wisdom in the Hebrew Alphabet - but know of it. Going along with that book is an interesting chart I attached entitled:

Ancient Hebrew
Reveals Information
In Scripture

Enjoy! and let me know what you think of it :esmile:
-
-
-
Attachments
alefbet.pdf
More On Hebrew Wisdom Alphabet
(47.24 KiB) Downloaded 94 times
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys
Gman
Old School
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by Gman »

Johnny916 wrote:My name is Johnathan Argeuelles. I'm an Orthodox Jew (Hasidic Judaism). I only wanted to join this site for fun and to chit-chat about religion or faith. It is fun discussing Judaism with Christians. Ask me anything you will like.
Hi Johnny welcome and shalom.. I'm a messianic Jew. I'm very pleased to have you on the forum.

I have a question for you. What do you believe is the main belief among the Orthodox Jews when it comes to creation. Do many believe in a young earth (literal 6 days) or old earth creation (long years)? I've heard different beliefs from the Orthodox community on this.

P.S. I just got back from Jerusalem a few weeks ago. I absolutely loved it.
The heart cannot rejoice in what the mind rejects as false - Galileo

We learn from history that we do not learn from history - Georg Friedrich Wilhelm Hegel

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things. -Philippians 4:8
Gman
Old School

Post by Gman »

Danieltwotwenty wrote:Jesus made some pretty big claims, i guess there are really only 3 options either he was who he said he was, he was a liar or he was delusional.
Hi Daniel.. Could you please tone it down a bit here? Johnny isn't here to debate in this kind of way.

Thank you,

We learn from history that we do not learn from history - Georg Friedrich Wilhelm Hegel

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things. -Philippians 4:8
Johnny916
Familiar Member

Post by Johnny916 »

This would be difficult to answer. Judaism has a different way of explaining Creation in Genesis and what not. To me I believe the universe and Earth are over billions years old. I do see evolution as a way to explain life but many traditional Jews would be skeptical of evolution. When I say evolution I mean how much can I use without contradicting my views or support of creation in the Tanach.
Gman
Old School

Post by Gman »

Johnny916 wrote:This would be difficult to answer. Judaism has a different way of explaining Creation in Genesis and what not. To me I believe the universe and Earth are over billions years old. I do see evolution as a way to explain life but many traditional Jews would be skeptical of evolution. When I say evolution I mean how much can I use without contradicting my views or support of creation in the Tanach.
Johnny it would appear that both Christians and Jews have the same varying beliefs on creation. I too find it hard to find a consensus among the communities. ;)

I have found that many who are Orthodox seem to believe in the young earth view however. I could be wrong about that however.. Many conservative Christians are young earth creationists. They often come here to tell us how wrong we are about the scriptures. :roll:

Johnny916
Familiar Member

Post by Johnny916 »

You would really have to study to see what the Jewish idea behind creationism. From what I read and learned Creation is much older then 6,000 years old. I'm not one on dating so, I will be the wrong person to ask about that. In my view creation happened billions or even trillions of years ago. It took a while for everything to set in and come about it. I think I mentioned I try my best to bring some forum of evolution in the picture. Having evolution with creationism is not always east. A while back there was a Q&A at a interfaith club on my college campus. I was one of the Jewish student with Christian and Muslim students being asked about evolution and creation. One person asked "can creation and evolution coexist or is evolution in the bible or qur'an?" We all gave our answers about creation and evolution. Pretty much all of us were skeptical of bringing the two too close together. Because if you do it would start to contradict one another I believe. You have a straight forward set of verses that describes creation and it is difficult to place evolution in the creation story in the bible.
Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member

Post by Danieltwotwenty »

Gman wrote:
Danieltwotwenty wrote:Jesus made some pretty big claims, i guess there are really only 3 options either he was who he said he was, he was a liar or he was delusional.
Hi Daniel.. Could you please tone it down a bit here? Johnny isn't here to debate in this kind of way.

Thank you,
No worries Gman, i apologise if i caused any offence i was just curious as to how Jewish people view who Jesus was.
I also think i have had a bad week and didnt have my nice hat on, has been a stress filled two weeks sorry Johnny y>:D<
1Tim1:15-17
Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his immense patience as an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life. Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever.Amen.
Gman
Old School

Post by Gman »

Danieltwotwenty wrote:
Gman wrote:

Thank you,
No worries Gman, i apologise if i caused any offence i was just curious as to how Jewish people view who Jesus was.
I also think i have had a bad week and didnt have my nice hat on, has been a stress filled two weeks sorry Johnny y>:D<
No problems Dan.. One thing I can tell you why Jews don't except Jesus is the anti-Semitic views that stem out of Christianity. Unfortunately Christians have pretty much destroyed the bond between Christians and Jews. A bond that was never meant to be broken. Christians, in my opinion, need to stand with the Jews and the Jewish state of Israel. To the end if need be...

Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member

Post by Danieltwotwenty »

I totally agree Gman, as a person with Jewsish heratige myself i know how anti-Semetic some Christains can be and in no way was i trying to be anti-semetic.
I just worry that they are making a huge mistake by rejecting Jesus, but as fellow believers in God the Father i will stand by their side as i would do the same for a Christain.
1Tim1:15-17
Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his immense patience as an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life. Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever.Amen.
Gman
Old School

Post by Gman »

Johnny916 wrote: We all gave our answers about creation and evolution. Pretty much all of us were skeptical of bringing the two too close together. Because if you do it would start to contradict one another I believe. You have a straight forward set of verses that describes creation and it is difficult to place evolution in the creation story in the bible.
Yes, there is a point where you get too much of one or the other where both seem to cancel the other out. It's tricky.. I for one just can't see how we got here via a "chance" guided evolution.. Science cannot explain it.

Johnny, what are your opinions of this website G-d and Science? Do you think we bring insight from the Hebrew perspective? Just curious..

Thanks

Johnny916
Familiar Member

Post by Johnny916 »

Why do you guys support the state of Israel? I'm a Jew against Zionism. Yes, I know I would have to mention some time are another. As I mentioned before I'm very in-tune with my faith. Therefore I'm influenced by Jews who disagree with Zionism.
Johnny916
Familiar Member

Post by Johnny916 »

Gman wrote:
Johnny916 wrote: We all gave our answers about creation and evolution. Pretty much all of us were skeptical of bringing the two too close together. Because if you do it would start to contradict one another I believe. You have a straight forward set of verses that describes creation and it is difficult to place evolution in the creation story in the bible.
Yes, there is a point where you get too much of one or the other where both seem to cancel the other out. It's tricky.. I for one just can't see how we got here via a "chance" guided evolution.. Science cannot explain it.

Johnny, what are your opinions of this website G-d and Science? Do you think we bring insight from the Hebrew perspective? Just curious..

Thanks
I wouldn't agree with everything. But it seems to be a warm welcoming site that is laid out nicely. I would disagree with many of the principles of belief on the homepage. Like the Trinity and what not.