The Fall

Discussion about scientific issues as they relate to God and Christianity including archaeology, origins of life, the universe, intelligent design, evolution, etc.
Maroto
Newbie Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided

The Fall

Post by Maroto »

In learning of the different considerations of the origin of man with a soul. If he did evolve from primates and at a point was given a soul, the picture I see in my minds eye is the cave man model. How does the Garden, the Serpent, play into that? Is the Genesis account of the Fall accurate?
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: The Fall

Post by RickD »

Maroto wrote:In learning of the different considerations of the origin of man with a soul. If he did evolve from primates and at a point was given a soul, the picture I see in my minds eye is the cave man model. How does the Garden, the Serpent, play into that? Is the Genesis account of the Fall accurate?
Maroto, I'm certainly no expert on this subject, but I just don't see any proof that man evolved from primates. Now, the bible says that God formed the man from the dust of the earth, and breathed into his nostrils, the breath of life, and the man became a living being. Genesis 2:7

I can't see anything else in the text, except it says that God specially created man from the dust of the earth. I just can't see evolution applying here in the sense that man evolved from primates. It just looks like a special creation on God's part.

As far as the account of the fall being accurate...There are a few interpretations that I'm familiar with. The first is that it was a literal snake that spoke to eve. The second was that it was a literal snake that was possessed by Satan, that spoke to Eve. And the third, that I probably lean towards, is that it was simply Satan in some form. Satan is referred to as the serpent, in other parts of the bible. Satan is spoken of as the serpent. Jesus is the Lamb of God. Figuratively speaking.

I hope that helps, and welcome to the board.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by PaulSacramento »

Evolution states that Man and primate SHARED a common ancestor, not that man evolved from a primate.
As for the literal interpretation of Genesis, well, its not as if that hasn't been debated at all ;)
Man fell because man decided that they didn't need God, that they could be God, that they could it without God.
And that "original sin" is with us to this day.
August
Old School

Post by August »

PaulSacramento wrote:Evolution states that Man and primate SHARED a common ancestor, not that man evolved from a primate.
What did the common ancestor look like?
Acts 17:24-25 (NIV)
"The God who made the world and everything in it is the Lord of heaven and earth and does not live in temples built by hands. [25] And he is not served by human hands, as if he needed anything, because he himself gives all men life and breath and everything else."

//www.omnipotentgrace.org
//christianskepticism.blogspot.com
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

August wrote:
PaulSacramento wrote:Evolution states that Man and primate SHARED a common ancestor, not that man evolved from a primate.
Michael Bolton :D
Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

PaulSacramento wrote:
August wrote:
:pound: :pound: :pound:

For some reason I found that to be absolutely hilarious. It took me by surprise that I burst into almost uncontrollable laughter. So much so that people in the office are looking at me like what the heck is wrong with this guy. Thanks, I really needed the laugh.
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.
DannyM
Ultimate Member

Post by DannyM »

PaulSacramento wrote:
August wrote:
:pound: Talk about Laugh out Loud! Could you get a funnier moment? Well, probably, but that was simply hilarious
credo ut intelligam

dei gratia
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Michael Bolton is believable, because the Neanderthal is a spitting image of vin diesel.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

Thanks guys, we all have our moments.
That Vin Diesel one is a tad scary * backs away slowly*...
DannyM
Ultimate Member

Post by DannyM »

PaulSacramento wrote:Thanks guys, we all have our moments.
That Vin Diesel one is a tad scary * backs away slowly*...
Paul I'm laughing again...tickled me no end that! :)
credo ut intelligam

dei gratia
Proinsias
Advanced Senior Member
Christian: No
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Post by Proinsias »

Man is a primate. As far as I gathered evolution did not state that man and primate shared a common ancestor but that man was a subdivision of primate.
kmr
Valued Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by kmr »

According to evolutionary theory, man and ape share a common ancestor as primates....
- KMR

Dominum meum amō!
neo-x
Ultimate Member

Post by neo-x »

Man is a primate. As far as I gathered evolution did not state that man and primate shared a common ancestor but that man was a subdivision of primate.
The evolution of man from ape-like ancestor is often argued because of comparative anatomy within the fossil record. The theory states that man, evolved through a combination of environmental and genetic factors, emerged as a species to produce the variety of ethnicit-ies seen today, while modern apes evolved on a separate evolutionary pathway. Both are considered to have an apelike ancestor. But lets not forget this is not because it has been proven scientifically, but because alternative viewpoints bring with them metaphysical implications which go against the modern naturalistic views.
It would be a blessing if they missed the cairns and got lost on the way back. Or if
the Thing on the ice got them tonight.

I could only turn and stare in horror at the chief surgeon.
Death by starvation is a terrible thing, Goodsir, continued Stanley.
And with that we went below to the flame-flickering Darkness of the lower deck
and to a cold almost the equal of the Dante-esque Ninth Circle Arctic Night
without.

//johnadavid.wordpress.com