Can't we all get along?

Whether you are new or just lurking, take a moment to introduce yourself or discuss something general.
Johnny916
Familiar Member
Christian: No
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Can't we all get along?

Post by Johnny916 »

Hello everyone. I'm curious as to how Christians, Jews, and Muslims can along better? Recently I was invited to a few different events at a Church and a Mosque. I have decided to get in touch with my Jewish roots and become more religious. I want to bridge the gaps the best way I can. Any opinions from other users?
Seraph

Re: Can't we all get along?

Post by Seraph »

I think the best way would be to stress in our respective churches/synagouges/mosques that even though we don't agree with other ideologies and theologies, we shouldn't view people themselves who follow other religions as our enemies. It seems so easy for people to treat people as enemies if they're in the other camp, but I think all three religions (ideally) would agree that it isn't our place to hate a person based on whether they truely have a relationship with God or not.

Easier said than done I know...
I am committed to belief in God, as the most morally demanding, psychologically enriching, intellectually satisfying and imaginatively fruitful hypothesis about the ultimate nature of reality known to me - Keith Ward
jlay
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by jlay »

Harmony will only be found when all turn and submit their minds to God in Christ. Period. We can 'tolerate' one another in the mean time.

Living in the US I see Christians, Jews, and Muslims getting along (tolerating) all the time.

Radical Islam has no desire to get along. Their idea of peace is the extermination of infidels. When a radical Muslim says they want peace, do not be deceived. Peace is either you converting, or dead. End of story.

Christianity is to love our enemy. To pray for them. This of course will foster relational peace. But in the end, what does it matter if they are cast into Hell because they have no peace with God. What drives us is bringing men to find peace with God though Christ.
-“The Bible treated allegorically becomes putty in the hands of the exegete.” John Walvoord

"I'm not saying scientists don't overstate their results. They do. And it's understandable, too...If you spend years working toward a certain goal and make no progress, of course you are going to spin your results in a positive light." Ivellious
Johnny916
Familiar Member

Post by Johnny916 »

Well I do not believe in Jesus. But I have to respect the right of others to worship as they please.
Proinsias
Advanced Senior Member
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Post by Proinsias »

Karen Armstong has been advocating a charter for compassion within the major world religions for a few years, via TED, which might be of interest:
Silvertusk
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Silvertusk »

Johnny916 wrote:Hello everyone. I'm curious as to how Christians, Jews, and Muslims can along better? Recently I was invited to a few different events at a Church and a Mosque. I have decided to get in touch with my Jewish roots and become more religious. I want to bridge the gaps the best way I can. Any opinions from other users?

"Become more religious" - what exactly does that mean? - what is it that you are really looking for Johnny?
Johnny916
Familiar Member

Post by Johnny916 »

Silvertusk wrote:
Johnny916 wrote:Hello everyone. I'm curious as to how Christians, Jews, and Muslims can along better? Recently I was invited to a few different events at a Church and a Mosque. I have decided to get in touch with my Jewish roots and become more religious. I want to bridge the gaps the best way I can. Any opinions from other users?

"Become more religious" - what exactly does that mean? - what is it that you are really looking for Johnny?
I grow up as a secular Jew. Basically my parents never raised my sisters and myself to be religious Jews. So, I would really like to become more spiritual towards Judaism.
Gman
Old School
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by Gman »

Hi Johnny.. Glad to see you back and that you are recognizing your Jewish roots. You should never give up on your roots Johnny. Jews have a special calling under G-d that is unbreakable. Please understand your place.. Judaism means love and peace, in fact it is COMMANDED to love.

As for peace, unfortunately there is no way for peace unless it is ordained of G-d so the battles we see today will keep going unless mankind submits to G-d. Until then there will be no peace. For groups like the U.N. to declare it is wrong since they do not understand the condition of man.
The heart cannot rejoice in what the mind rejects as false - Galileo

We learn from history that we do not learn from history - Georg Friedrich Wilhelm Hegel

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things. -Philippians 4:8
DannyM
Ultimate Member

Post by DannyM »

We are not the same. The disparities between us are glaring. It is Christian or other. Come to Christ, those of you being called! y>:D<
credo ut intelligam

dei gratia
Gman
Old School

Post by Gman »

DannyM wrote:We are not the same. The disparities between us are glaring. It is Christian or other. Come to Christ, those of you being called! y>:D<
Actually Christianity is just another form of Judaism. Jesus or Yeshua (his hebrew name) was a Jew as well as all the other first followers of Him. It wasn't really until some 30 years later that Gentiles starting moving into it with all their pagan holidays and stuff.. No offense. ;)

Therefore you can still practice Judaism with Yeshua as the head like me and not give up your Jewish roots. In fact under Yeshua Judaism is augmented.
The heart cannot rejoice in what the mind rejects as false - Galileo

We learn from history that we do not learn from history - Georg Friedrich Wilhelm Hegel

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things. -Philippians 4:8
DannyM
Ultimate Member

Post by DannyM »

Gman wrote:
DannyM wrote:We are not the same. The disparities between us are glaring. It is Christian or other. Come to Christ, those of you being called! y>:D<
Actually Christianity is just another form of Judaism. Jesus or Yeshua (his hebrew name) was a Jew as well as all the other first followers of Him. It wasn't really until some 30 years later that Gentiles starting moving into it with all their pagan holidays and stuff.. No offense. ;)

Therefore you can still practice Judaism with Yeshua as the head like me and not give up your Jewish roots. In fact under Yeshua Judaism is augmented.
I stand corrected - Don't come to Christ! :pound:
credo ut intelligam

dei gratia
Seraph

Post by Seraph »

Isn't it possible to encourage people to come to Christ without creating a Christian vs Everybody Else paradigm?

I fear that one reason the younger generation has more people that reject Christianity than previous ones in both the US and Europe is because they view Christians as people who like to feel smug and secure in their superior status over everyone else. It's an opinion I've heard many times. Perhaps the number of conversions to Christianity would rise if we focused on excercising humility in our worldview.
I am committed to belief in God, as the most morally demanding, psychologically enriching, intellectually satisfying and imaginatively fruitful hypothesis about the ultimate nature of reality known to me - Keith Ward
jlay
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by jlay »

Seraph,
Christians who act all high and mighty certainly do a great disservice to the name of Christ.
But I have to respect the right of others to worship as they please.
What if one's worship is to exterminate you? Do you HAVE to respect that?
-“The Bible treated allegorically becomes putty in the hands of the exegete.” John Walvoord

"I'm not saying scientists don't overstate their results. They do. And it's understandable, too...If you spend years working toward a certain goal and make no progress, of course you are going to spin your results in a positive light." Ivellious
Silvertusk
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Silvertusk »

Humility and love. :amen:
DannyM
Ultimate Member

Post by DannyM »

Seraph wrote:Isn't it possible to encourage people to come to Christ without creating a Christian vs Everybody Else paradigm?
When it comes to world-view it is a choice: be Christian (in) or non-Christian (out).
I fear that one reason the younger generation has more people that reject Christianity than previous ones in both the US and Europe is because they view Christians as people who like to feel smug and secure in their superior status over everyone else. It's an opinion I've heard many times. Perhaps the number of conversions to Christianity would rise if we focused on excercising humility in our worldview.
It's always lovely to get such a tirade from a 'liberal' Christian. Confidence in Christ, confidence in one's security, these things are quite often looked down upon by the so-called liberal side of Christianity. Trouble is, the 'all-inclusive' 'liberal' Christians have no comfort for you; they won't tell you you're lost.

I know where my money is when spotting the smug ones ... ;)
credo ut intelligam

dei gratia