Is my faith worthy?

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
Sleepykid
Acquainted Member
Christian: No
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided

Is my faith worthy?

Post by Sleepykid »

I've been on an agnostic hiatus for the last few years, and seeking to fill the emptiness of life, I've sought adherence to Christianity. As I've come to understand it, (and do correct me if this is incorrect), to be a proper Christian one must accept these core tenets:

1. You are an evil person, deserving of judgment
2. The only way judgment would be satisfied, is mercy through the judge himself
3. Jesus has done so at Calvary
4. Accepting Jesus' mercy as sufficient

Something along those general lines.

Now, after some studying and looking over various arguments for and against, I think the case for Christianity's truth in this regard more probable than the alternatives. But even if I did not, I'd have to say it is rather like being poor and needing a million dollars in 24 hours. The only way to do so would be some form of a gamble. In the same way, I think that the only cure for the condition humanity is in has been found best in Christianity, and true or untrue, it is worth the risk, for nothing else will serve.

My admittedly vague justifications for wanting to believe aside, I wonder if my incomplete faith, as it stands, is good enough. Would God receive something so small? I had always been under the impression that he wanted the faith of a zealot, and any degree of waffling would be unacceptable, and not qualifying as "all your might, mind, and strength".

I ask because I've danced this dance before in adolescence. I believed, was overcame with doubt, and fell in and out from that to agnosticism. Granted, as imperfect humans no faith, except perhaps the truly exceptional and godly, will be strong enough to ensure a steadfast christian walk no matter what for ever and ever. But I get the feeling that if I want God to take me in His company, I'll have to prove that I'm serious, that I won't abandon it again like the last time. But I don't know if I can make that promise. I empathize with this quote: "I believe. Help mine unbelief."

Can I be a true christian, with faith so fragile?
CeT-To
Christian: Yes

Re: Is my faith worthy?

Post by CeT-To »

Matthew 17:20

The smallest of faith is still genuine faith - don't expect all the answers to come straight away, neither expect that you have to adhere to an impossible standard to come to Christ. All he asks is that you trust in what he did in the Cross and who He is. He will take care of you - he will make you grow in knowledge and in faith. Seek and you will find - just be open to the Lord.

God bless!
But joy and happiness in you to all who seek you! Let them ceaselessly cry,"Great is Yahweh" who love your saving power. Psalm 40:16

I Praise you Yahweh, my Lord, my God!!!!!
Silvertusk
Board Moderator

Post by Silvertusk »

Faith is also a journey and it has to start somewhere - I think God just keeps asking you to never stop trying to get to know him better - keep seeking and he will help you with your unbelief.

Silvertusk
Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Danieltwotwenty »

matt17:20
He replied, "Because you have so little faith. I tell you the truth, if you have faith as small as a mustard seed, you can say to this mountain, 'Move from here to there' and it will move. Nothing will be impossible for you."

Your faith may be small and seem insignificant, but with a small amount of faith great things can be done.
You have started a long journey and the road ahead is rough and full of pitfalls, but you will grow and flourish with the Lord at your side.
1Tim1:15-17
Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his immense patience as an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life. Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever.Amen.