Questions

Discussion about scientific issues as they relate to God and Christianity including archaeology, origins of life, the universe, intelligent design, evolution, etc.
spartanII
Established Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Questions

Post by spartanII »

Has an atheist ever asked you a really hard question and you think about it for a while and it bugs you. In universe where all there is is matter in motion how can i say i'm making free decisions at all? I asked myself that the other day. I guess it's where faith comes into play, from the foundation of everything, but what kind of joke world do we live in where nothing can be confirmed beyond my brain, if all i am is just matter then who am i...is the universe controlling me, all sensations, everything...I know it's crazy talk but once you think about the atheist universe, sometimes it's overwhelmingly scary. Not only is there no objective purpose there is no freedom, at all.
Atheist: "Science says it, I believe it, That settles it."
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member
Sex: It's Complicated
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Re: Questions

Post by Furstentum Liechtenstein »

spartanII wrote:Has an atheist ever asked you a really hard question and you think about it for a while and it bugs you.
No. Atheists usually ask a series of standard questions which are actually statements tainted with contempt.
spartanII wrote: once you think about the atheist universe, sometimes it's overwhelmingly scary. Not only is there no objective purpose there is no freedom, at all.
Scary?! I was an atheist for over 30 years before coming to Christ and the universe never frightened me. Maybe you just frighten easily.

FL
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
Gman
Old School
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by Gman »

spartanII wrote:Has an atheist ever asked you a really hard question and you think about it for a while and it bugs you.
It only bugs me when they don't see the absurdity of their question.. ;)
The heart cannot rejoice in what the mind rejects as false - Galileo

We learn from history that we do not learn from history - Georg Friedrich Wilhelm Hegel

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things. -Philippians 4:8
narnia4
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by narnia4 »

Personally, I think that the universe having matter and "that's all there is" is a pretty unwarranted assumption (the "that's all there is" part. And whether that means that you can't have consciousness... well, that is probably a penalty of atheism.

I'm also of the opinion that even ignoring evidence for consciousness (and I find the evidence interesting myself), it could be considered a properly basic belief. Frankly, almost everyone actually does believe in consciousness even if they say they don't. Just look at the words you use, words like "think", "bugs", "guess", or "scary". Those words elude to consciousness.

I was thinking about this the other day, I wouldn't be able to form a formal argument about it... but the process of "thinking" or "reason", things that I can't imagine a sane person denying, they seem not only hard to explain under strict physicalism/naturalism, but superfluous as well. Also, I can clearly differentiate between acts that I intentionally make and mere reaction or subconscious decisions.

But there is much much more on this issue. I agree with the general point that atheism is a scary philosophy as well as an empty, hopeless one. As far as questions I think about for days... sometimes I do let emotions get hold, often if I haven't been communicating with God very well lately. That seems to be the time when things stick in my head, often things that a little reasoning will quickly repel, but its just times like that where your reasoning powers feel a little fuzzy. Sometimes I also just need a break from interacting with some skepticism, if you aren't growing in your Christian walk it can be dangerous and even if you're doing good it gets pretty tiring answering the same old objections and facing the same old hatred for the zillionth time.
Young, Restless, Reformed
Silvertusk
Board Moderator

Post by Silvertusk »

spartanII wrote:Has an atheist ever asked you a really hard question and you think about it for a while and it bugs you. In universe where all there is is matter in motion how can i say i'm making free decisions at all? I asked myself that the other day. I guess it's where faith comes into play, from the foundation of everything, but what kind of joke world do we live in where nothing can be confirmed beyond my brain, if all i am is just matter then who am i...is the universe controlling me, all sensations, everything...I know it's crazy talk but once you think about the atheist universe, sometimes it's overwhelmingly scary. Not only is there no objective purpose there is no freedom, at all.

Scares me to death - but then I wouldn't want to die - because oblivion scares me to death as well - and there I done it again!!!
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member

spartanII wrote: once you think about the atheist universe, sometimes it's overwhelmingly scary.
Overwhelmingly scary? Scary as in frightening or scary as in ''alarming by its implications''?
narnia4 wrote:I agree with the general point that atheism is a scary philosophy
A fool's philosophy of course, but a scary philosophy?
Silvertusk wrote:Scares me to death
Boo!

Only Gman didn't mention fear. What's with the rest of you ladies?

FL
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
narnia4

Post by narnia4 »

I meant alarming in its implications, as in if enough people actually believe it. As bad as the world may be, if atheists followed up on what they're supposed to be realize instead of borrowing theistic beliefs... the world would be even worse.
Young, Restless, Reformed
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member

narnia4 wrote:I meant alarming in its implications, as in if enough people actually believe it. As bad as the world may be, if atheists followed up on what they're supposed to be realize instead of borrowing theistic beliefs... the world would be even worse.
Agreed. Enough people gave atheism intellectual ascent in the USSR and the People's Republic of China and North Korea, and we all know what bastions of liberty and moral perfection those wonderful nations were, and are.

FL

+ + +

+ + +
neo-x
Ultimate Member

Post by neo-x »

and we all know what bastions of liberty and moral perfection those wonderful nations were, and are.
I have often asked atheists living in open countries to go and live out in hardcore atheist countries and then come back and tell us their experience. I hope they have a good time there. :pound:
It would be a blessing if they missed the cairns and got lost on the way back. Or if
the Thing on the ice got them tonight.

I could only turn and stare in horror at the chief surgeon.
Death by starvation is a terrible thing, Goodsir, continued Stanley.
And with that we went below to the flame-flickering Darkness of the lower deck
and to a cold almost the equal of the Dante-esque Ninth Circle Arctic Night
without.

//johnadavid.wordpress.com
Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Danieltwotwenty »

neo-x wrote:
and we all know what bastions of liberty and moral perfection those wonderful nations were, and are.
I have often asked atheists living in open countries to go and live out in hardcore atheist countries and then come back and tell us their experience. I hope they have a good time there. :pound:

Maybe just maybe they might return once they have found God. Matthew11:28
1Tim1:15-17
Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his immense patience as an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life. Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever.Amen.
neo-x
Ultimate Member

Post by neo-x »

Maybe just maybe they might return once they have found God. Matthew11:28
It is disappointing that they don't give it a try, living in a country like that can be an eye opening experience. I agree.
It would be a blessing if they missed the cairns and got lost on the way back. Or if
the Thing on the ice got them tonight.

I could only turn and stare in horror at the chief surgeon.
Death by starvation is a terrible thing, Goodsir, continued Stanley.
And with that we went below to the flame-flickering Darkness of the lower deck
and to a cold almost the equal of the Dante-esque Ninth Circle Arctic Night
without.

//johnadavid.wordpress.com