A couple of questions about confession & forgiveness of sin

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
cubeus19
Established Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

A couple of questions about confession & forgiveness of sin

Post by cubeus19 »

Hi guys, I had a couple of questions about sin, relating especially to us believers. First off, if we sin milliseconds right before we die without confessing it, will we still go to heaven? I've seen this question asked in the past, and most often the answer is, "yes" we would be forgiven because when we initially became a believer Christ forgave us of all sins, past present and even future sins.

But I've got another question, if this is indeed the case, then, why do believers still confess their sins to God when they pray? Is it even necessary given the fact that when the person became a follower of Christ that all of his or her sins were indeed forgiven?

Thanks guys!
DannyM
Ultimate Member

Re: A couple of questions about confession & forgiveness of

Post by DannyM »

cubeus19 wrote:Hi guys, I had a couple of questions about sin, relating especially to us believers. First off, if we sin milliseconds right before we die without confessing it, will we still go to heaven? I've seen this question asked in the past, and most often the answer is, "yes" we would be forgiven because when we initially became a believer Christ forgave us of all sins, past present and even future sins.
That's correct.
But I've got another question, if this is indeed the case, then, why do believers still confess their sins to God when they pray? Is it even necessary given the fact that when the person became a follower of Christ that all of his or her sins were indeed forgiven?
I believe we still ask God for forgiveness because we are in a new state, and we do not take displeasing Him lightly.
credo ut intelligam

dei gratia
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Hi guys, I had a couple of questions about sin, relating especially to us believers. First off, if we sin milliseconds right before we die without confessing it, will we still go to heaven? I've seen this question asked in the past, and most often the answer is, "yes" we would be forgiven because when we initially became a believer Christ forgave us of all sins, past present and even future sins.
Indubitably!!!!!
True believers have the indwelling of the Holy Spirit. He convicts us of sin. We feel sorry. I would say it's "necessary", as far as showing that we are being conformed to the image of Christ, by the Holy Spirit. Sorta like works aren't necessary for salvation, but works in a true believer, is evidence that the Holy Spirit is doing His work in us.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by PaulSacramento »

The act of confession is part of the act or repentance.
Gods KNOWS, He doesn't need to hear our confession but we DO.
When we confess we take an active role in our repentance, more than just feeling sorry, we ask for forgiveness.
It takes repentance to the "other level".
cubeus19
Established Member

Post by cubeus19 »

Thank you all very much!
Murray
Esteemed Senior Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Murray »

I think when we confess our sins to god we are stating that we know what we did was against he will, and that we try to make a change to avoid that sin/temptation in the future
in nomine patri et fili spiritu sancte