A few questions, one OEC related

Discussion about scientific issues as they relate to God and Christianity including archaeology, origins of life, the universe, intelligent design, evolution, etc.
spartanII
Established Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

A few questions, one OEC related

Post by spartanII »

Okay so I have some OEC questions...when they use the word "nephesh," in the Bible and refer it to man/animal, I see on the front page of godandscience.org, it says that it refers to mammals/birds, or animals man can connect with. Is this a baseless assertion or is there evidence in the Bible where it says "mammals/birds?" If not I just find us running with the term "nephesh," and tagging it to any animal we see fit. Also how about certain verses in the book of Exodus (i forgot the exact verse, i think it's in chapter 20) it says "and the Lord made the world in six days," or something like that...that's clearly against what OECers believe. Also, I remember a member in the forum saying that the verse in Romans/Corinthians is talking about spiritual death because it uses the word Thatanos, or the Greek God relating to Hades [so a spiritual death], does anybody have the link for that?

If there's any other things i need to know about defending OEC please mention it. thanks
Atheist: "Science says it, I believe it, That settles it."
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: A few questions, one OEC related

Post by RickD »

Okay so I have some OEC questions...when they use the word "nephesh," in the Bible and refer it to man/animal, I see on the front page of godandscience.org, it says that it refers to mammals/birds, or animals man can connect with. Is this a baseless assertion or is there evidence in the Bible where it says "mammals/birds?"
According to Strong's Concordance, it is a legitimate assertion.
http://www.apostolic-churches.net/bible ... stnm=05315
and the Lord made the world in six days," or something like that...that's clearly against what OECers believe.
OECs believe God created everything in six days. Six long days. The word translated as "day", is yom. Yom has more than one literal meaning. A long, finite period of time, is one literal meaning.
Also, I remember a member in the forum saying that the verse in Romans/Corinthians is talking about spiritual death because it uses the word Thatanos, or the Greek God relating to Hades [so a spiritual death], does anybody have the link for that?
Not sure of a link, but if you read Romans 5, it is clearly talking about human death. And I believe more specifically human spiritual death. But, spiritual death brought along physical death as a consequence, when God blocked the way to the tree of life. Genesis 3:22-24. On a side note, I believe physical death is actually a blessing from God. Could you imagine if man was spiritually dead, yet lived forever physically?
If there's any other things i need to know about defending OEC please mention it. thanks
I would suggest reading: A Matter of Days, by Hugh Ross. That book helped me understand OEC better than anything else I've read. Hugh Ross, IMO, is great at explaining things in layman's terms, so my simple mind can understand.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony