BLACKADDER

Whether you are new or just lurking, take a moment to introduce yourself or discuss something general.
DannyM
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

BLACKADDER

Post by DannyM »

Blackadder, one of Britain's greats - be sure to watch the 'dictionary' clip if nothing else :)

Hugh Lawrie on US TV talking about Blackadder
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gv0Qf8cLhj0

'Dictionary' clip - allow for the 10 second pre-clip advert
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOSYiT2iG08

'The Courtroom Scene'
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRx90mOXS7Q

Farcical comedy at its best
credo ut intelligam

dei gratia
Proinsias
Advanced Senior Member
Christian: No
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Re: BLACKADDER

Post by Proinsias »

Can't go wrong with a bit of Blackadder. It should be required viewing for House fans, Hugh Laurie is in great form.

Rowan Atkinson explaining to Tony Robinson how the war started is a personal favourite.
DannyM
Ultimate Member

Post by DannyM »

Proinsias wrote:Can't go wrong with a bit of Blackadder. It should be required viewing for House fans, Hugh Laurie is in great form.

Rowan Atkinson explaining to Tony Robinson how the war started is a personal favourite.
:lol: Nice, Pro, a classic!
credo ut intelligam

dei gratia
Silvertusk
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Silvertusk »

A rare item - good british comedy. Other classics would add are Fawlty Towers and Only Fools and Horses
DannyM
Ultimate Member

Post by DannyM »

Silvertusk wrote:A rare item - good british comedy. Other classics would add are Fawlty Towers and Only Fools and Horses
Yeah, we used to be the kings of comedy.
credo ut intelligam

dei gratia
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Silvertusk wrote:A rare item - good british comedy. Other classics would add are Fawlty Towers and Only Fools and Horses
What about the Benny Hill Show? I know it was a little raunchy, but it was hilarious. Benny's head tapping of little Jackie Wright...that's funny stuff.

Little Jackie Wright:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-4qXM9t ... ata_player
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

RickD wrote:
What about the Benny Hill Show? I know it was a little raunchy, but it was hilarious. Benny's head tapping of little Jackie Wright...that's funny stuff.

Little Jackie Wright:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-4qXM9t ... ata_player
Benny Hill, my all time favorite British comedy. Monty Python is another. I have to admit, some of the other shows I just don't get.
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.
DannyM
Ultimate Member

Post by DannyM »

Benny Hill?? :lol: Next you'll be saying that the Carry On films were great comedy! Come on, guys, you prefer Benny Hill over Blackadder, Only Fools and Horses. Fawlty Towers?

Pro, Silver, what do you think of The Inbetweeners?
credo ut intelligam

dei gratia
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

DannyM wrote:Benny Hill?? :lol: Next you'll be saying that the Carry On films were great comedy! Come on, guys, you prefer Benny Hill over Blackadder, Only Fools and Horses. Fawlty Towers?

Danny, I've never heard of any of those shows before. They could well be hilarious, I've just never seen them. I watched another episode of Top Gear last night. The one where Richard drives the oversized Hummer in South Africa. That's British comedy at its best.
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

-Edward R Murrow

DannyM
Ultimate Member

Post by DannyM »

RickD wrote:
DannyM wrote:Benny Hill?? :lol: Next you'll be saying that the Carry On films were great comedy! Come on, guys, you prefer Benny Hill over Blackadder, Only Fools and Horses. Fawlty Towers?

Danny, I've never heard of any of those shows before. They could well be hilarious, I've just never seen them. I watched another episode of Top Gear last night. The one where Richard drives the oversized Hummer in South Africa. That's British comedy at its best.
Top Gear can be hilarious. What American comedies would you put forward, Rick? I'd go for the old school:

1. Frasier (by a long way)
2. Family guy
3. Simpsons
4. Cheers
5. Friends

Probably in that order :P
credo ut intelligam

dei gratia
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

DannyM wrote:
RickD wrote:

Top Gear can be hilarious. What American comedies would you put forward, Rick? I'd go for the old school:

2. Family guy
3. Simpsons
4. Cheers
5. Friends

Danny, I have a long list, in no particular order:
Classics:
All in The Family
I Love Lucy
1970's Saturday Night Live
The Jeffersons
MASH
The Odd Couple
Happy Days
Laverne and Shirley
Sanford and Son
Three's Company

Newer Classics:
In Living Color
The Cosby Show
Cheers
The Fresh Prince Of Bel Air
Ren & Stimpy(probably my all-time favorite cartoon along with Spongebob)

Fairly Recent:
Friends
King of Queens
Everybody Loves Raymond
Home Improvement

And my all time favorite, most original, genius comedy:
Seinfeld

-Edward R Murrow

Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

RickD wrote:
DannyM wrote:
RickD wrote:

2. Family guy
3. Simpsons
4. Cheers
5. Friends

Danny, I have a long list, in no particular order:
Classics:
All in The Family
I Love Lucy
1970's Saturday Night Live
The Jeffersons
MASH
The Odd Couple
Happy Days
Laverne and Shirley
Sanford and Son
Three's Company

Newer Classics:
In Living Color
The Cosby Show
Cheers
The Fresh Prince Of Bel Air
Ren & Stimpy(probably my all-time favorite cartoon along with Spongebob)

Fairly Recent:
Friends
King of Queens
Everybody Loves Raymond
Home Improvement

And my all time favorite, most original, genius comedy:
Seinfeld
My all time favorite would be The Honeymooners, a close second is All In The Family. I like all the others you listed Rick.
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.
DannyM
Ultimate Member

Post by DannyM »

Wow. Of the ones I know (The Jeffersons, MASHH, Happy Days, The Cosby Show, Cheers, The Fresh Prince Of Bel Air, :Friends, Everybody Loves Raymond,
Seinfeld) I liked Happy Days, Cosby Show, and Cheers. Bel Air was okay, same with Everybody Loves Raymond (but his voice does my head in - Manni from Ice Age films?)

What about Larry Sanders? That was excruciatingly funny :lol:
credo ut intelligam

dei gratia
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

My all time favorite would be The Honeymooners, a close second is All In The Family. I like all the others you listed Rick.
I forgot about The Honeymooners. Jackie Gleason was funny. He was great in Smokey and the Bandit.

All in the Family is the best classic comedy, IMO. They don't (can't) make em' like that anymore. I have the theme song to All in the Family, as one of my ringtones. Jean Stapleton is hilarious in that song.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1F9vRVyV ... re=related

-Edward R Murrow

RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

DannyM wrote:Wow. Of the ones I know (The Jeffersons, MASHH, Happy Days, The Cosby Show, Cheers, The Fresh Prince Of Bel Air, :Friends, Everybody Loves Raymond,
Seinfeld) I liked Happy Days, Cosby Show, and Cheers. Bel Air was okay, same with Everybody Loves Raymond (but his voice does my head in - Manni from Ice Age films?)

What about Larry Sanders? That was excruciatingly funny :lol:
Ray Romano's New York accent, lol.

I've never seen Larry Sanders. Something about that guy(Garry Schandling) just never sat right with me.

-Edward R Murrow