Missing link

Discussion about scientific issues as they relate to God and Christianity including archaeology, origins of life, the universe, intelligent design, evolution, etc.
spartanII
Established Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Missing link

Post by spartanII »

My friend said that they day the "missing link" is found it'll be death blow to Christianity. What do you think about that and about our evolution?
And also this video? He said he's found a few links that critique this but i have yet to find it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dK3O6KYPmEw

Also something really random, once Christopher Hitches says something like "why is that 99% of all animals have died out and we're the last ones left," or "each day 100,000 animals are found and die" where does he get those statistics and are they even true? I may be wrong on the 2nd quote (the number) but i know for a face he said 99% in that first quote. Where does he get that and is that true?
Atheist: "Science says it, I believe it, That settles it."
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Re: Missing link

Post by RickD »

spartanII wrote:My friend said that they day the "missing link" is found it'll be death blow to Christianity. What do you think about that and about our evolution?
And also this video? He said he's found a few links that critique this but i have yet to find it...

Also something really random, once Christopher Hitches says something like "why is that 99% of all animals have died out and we're the last ones left," or "each day 100,000 animals are found and die" where does he get those statistics and are they even true? I may be wrong on the 2nd quote (the number) but i know for a face he said 99% in that first quote. Where does he get that and is that true?
Spartan, when you say missing link, do you mean the missing link between what and what?
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
spartanII
Established Member

Post by spartanII »

RickD wrote:
spartanII wrote:My friend said that they day the "missing link" is found it'll be death blow to Christianity. What do you think about that and about our evolution?

Spartan, when you say missing link, do you mean the missing link between what and what?
Not sure man...
What is missing between us and what ever we evolved from? (not trying to be sarcastic) I'm not too bright on evolution so i'm unsure :p
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

What is missing between us and what ever we evolved from? (not trying to be sarcastic) I'm not too bright on evolution so i'm unsure :p
Your profile says your creation stance is theistic evolution. Do you know what T.E. is?
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

-Edward R Murrow

spartanII
Established Member

Post by spartanII »

RickD wrote:
Your profile says your creation stance is theistic evolution. Do you know what T.E. is?
yeah, that was once i first joined this site, the more and more i think of it, the more and more i move over to OEC... I forgot how to change that. I just learned how to do a signature :p
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

spartanII wrote:
RickD wrote:
yeah, that was once i first joined this site, the more and more i think of it, the more and more i move over to OEC... I forgot how to change that. I just learned how to do a signature :p
Theistic evolution is usually classified under old earth creationism. Maybe you mean progressive creationism? PC is where God created different species at different times throughout history, with man being His final creation. TE is God creating the building blocks, so to speak, and then creation was on its own to evolve to what we have today.

-Edward R Murrow

RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Spartan, to change your creation position, go to user control panel, then profile, then creation position. You can see the list there. I'm thinking you want day-age/progressive creationist.

-Edward R Murrow

spartanII
Established Member

Post by spartanII »

RickD wrote:Spartan, to change your creation position, go to user control panel, then profile, then creation position. You can see the list there. I'm thinking you want day-age/progressive creationist.
thanks buddy. and yeah i changed it. what do you guys think about what i posted, those stats hitchens said? Do you think they're true? even so The Bible doesn't give a really good view on life and how everything groans with pain...Evolution paints a very nasty picture on life but The Bible doesn't paint earth to be very pretty either...so what Hitchens is saying is preaching what's already been preached, i guess.
Gman
Old School

Post by Gman »

Nothing new here.. They have been saying that for years. Even if it were true, they still couldn't figure out abiogenesis.
spartanII wrote:And also this video? He said he's found a few links that critique this but i have yet to find it...

This guy in the video claims he is a Roman Catholic and a theist. What does that tell you?
The heart cannot rejoice in what the mind rejects as false - Galileo

We learn from history that we do not learn from history - Georg Friedrich Wilhelm Hegel

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things. -Philippians 4:8
spartanII
Established Member

Post by spartanII »

Gman wrote:
Nothing new here.. They have been saying that for years. Even if it were true, they still couldn't figure out abiogenesis.
spartanII wrote:And also this video? He said he's found a few links that critique this but i have yet to find it...

This guy in the video claims he is a Roman Catholic and a theist. What does that tell you?
haha, very good point. Me and my friend feel as if Roman Catholicsm (the serious kind) is very heretical.
Silvertusk
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Silvertusk »

Spartan.

The Bible makes no mention either for or against evolution - just that God was behind it. Evolution does not conflict with Genesis as far as I can see - so I am not bothered if there is evidence for or against it.

If Evolution was the way God created everything - then it certainly was not random and ties in nicely with C.S. Lewis's ideas on what the world needs to be like for perfect freewill to exist. Freewill needs definate laws to be in place and evolution can certainly be the byproduct of such laws as planned by God.
“Again, the freedom of a creature must mean freedom to choose: and choice implies the existence of things to choose between. A creature with no environment would have no choices to make: so that freedom, like self consciousness…..again demands the presence of the self of something other than the self.”
He then goes on to say:
“We can, perhaps, conceive of a world in which God corrected the results of this abuse of free will by his creatures at every moment: so that a wooden beam became soft as grass when it was used as a weapon, and the air refused to obey me if I attempted to set up in it the sound waves that carry lies or insults. But such a world would be one in which wrong actions were impossible, and in which therefore, freedom of the will would be void; nay if the principal were carried out to its logical conclusion , evil thoughts would be impossible, for the cerebral matter which we use would refuse its task when we attempted to frame them. All matter in the neighbourhood of a wicked man would be liable to undergo unpredictable alterations. That God can and does, on occasions, modify the behaviour of matter and produce what we call miracles, is part of the Christian faith; but the very concept of a common and therefore stable world demands that these occasions should be extremely rare.”
Quotes from C.S. Lewis - Problem of Pain
Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

Gman wrote:This guy in the video claims he is a Roman Catholic and a theist. What does that tell you?
What does it tell you?

And is it telling you the same thing about Francis Collins who's a non-Catholic Christian theistic evolutionist and former head of the Human Genome Project?

spartanII wrote:haha, very good point. Me and my friend feel as if Roman Catholicsm (the serious kind) is very heretical.
Yes, the less serious kind of Roman Catholicism is a little less heretical. :shakehead:
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

haha, very good point. Me and my friend feel as if Roman Catholicsm (the serious kind) is very heretical.
Here we go again! Hold on everyone, this is going to be a bumpy ride. :lol:
Yes, the less serious kind of Roman Catholicism is a little less heretical.
:pound:
Maybe he believes in a god(theism), just not the God of the bible? y\:D/

-Edward R Murrow

jlay
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by jlay »

Exactly. Missing link between what and what? They can't even tell you what Archeopteryx is a link from or to. I can tell you assuredly that it is an extinct species. Extinction is NOT an evidence for evolution. In fact it hurts its case. We fine abundant evidence in the fossil record of extinction. Yet none that shows what those extinct animals evolved from. They appear and then disappear. Assumptions are not evidence.

The new atheists is placing a lot of faith in evolution, in that it undermines the existence of God. But in reality it does no such thing.
-“The Bible treated allegorically becomes putty in the hands of the exegete.” John Walvoord

"I'm not saying scientists don't overstate their results. They do. And it's understandable, too...If you spend years working toward a certain goal and make no progress, of course you are going to spin your results in a positive light." Ivellious
spartanII
Established Member

Post by spartanII »

Byblos wrote:
Gman wrote:This guy in the video claims he is a Roman Catholic and a theist. What does that tell you?
What does it tell you?

And is it telling you the same thing about Francis Collins who's a non-Catholic Christian theistic evolutionist and former head of the Human Genome Project?

spartanII wrote:haha, very good point. Me and my friend feel as if Roman Catholicsm (the serious kind) is very heretical.
Yes, the less serious kind of Roman Catholicism is a little less heretical. :shakehead:

haha, yeah, well just like Christianity, Catholicism can be one of those things that is just apart of family osmosis. You know? I don't know how people I've ran into that say they are Catholic but don't do half the things Catholics do. It's just a label sometimes, that's what i meant. But did anybody see the other half of my topic, those stats Hitchens gave off, are they lies or what? WLC says the footnotes in Dawkins/Hitchens points are very outdated.