Good action

Discussion for Christian perspectives on ethical issues such as abortion, euthanasia, sexuality, and so forth.
CeT-To
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided

Good action

Post by CeT-To »

Is there an action(s) where in every situation it is always good?

(seconds question edited out )

God bless
Last edited by CeT-To on Thu Sep 22, 2011 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
But joy and happiness in you to all who seek you! Let them ceaselessly cry,"Great is Yahweh" who love your saving power. Psalm 40:16

I Praise you Yahweh, my Lord, my God!!!!!
Byblos
Old School

Re: Good action

Post by Byblos »

CeT-To wrote:Is there an action(s) where in every situation it is always good?

OR

Is objective morality subjective to situation?

God bless
How could objective be subjective?
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.
CeT-To

Post by CeT-To »

Byblos wrote:

OR

Is objective morality subjective to situation?

God bless
How could objective be subjective?
Not saying objective morality is subjective - i never said it was preference.

What i said is if objective morality subjective to different situation? For example giving money to the poor is good but giving money to a poor who is also a drug addict where you know he is gonna use it for that, is bad.
But joy and happiness in you to all who seek you! Let them ceaselessly cry,"Great is Yahweh" who love your saving power. Psalm 40:16

jlay
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by jlay »

Not real keen on the way you ask the question.

You essentially answer it for yourself.

Us giving money doesn't change what is objectively true or good. As you say, it is our knowledge that determines whether we should give or not.
-“The Bible treated allegorically becomes putty in the hands of the exegete.” John Walvoord

"I'm not saying scientists don't overstate their results. They do. And it's understandable, too...If you spend years working toward a certain goal and make no progress, of course you are going to spin your results in a positive light." Ivellious
CeT-To

Post by CeT-To »

jlay wrote:Not real keen on the way you ask the question.

You essentially answer it for yourself.

Us giving money doesn't change what is objectively true or good. As you say, it is our knowledge that determines whether we should give or not.
LOL yeah my bad i see what you are saying, ummm maybe ill just edit out that part since im actually keen on the first question rather than the second :S

Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

(seconds question edited out )

God bless
In that case, who is doing the judging?
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.
CeT-To

Post by CeT-To »

what do you mean byblos?

Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

CeT-To wrote:what do you mean byblos?
When you ask is an action good, who is pronouncing this action good or not good? The very act of calling something 'good' requires an objective source to judge it as such, otherwise the act of judging itself becomes an arbitrary decision.

CeT-To

Post by CeT-To »

The source of morality is God, if that's what you're asking.

jestes
Familiar Member

Post by jestes »

Objective VS subjective morality can be a tricky issue. I think that at it's core, morality is objective since it is compared to God. I also think that if a moral issue seems to be subjective, the question isn't specific enough.

For example: What color is the sky? Most would say blue. What about at night or on a cloudy day? Then it's either black or grey. Does this make the answer to the question subjective? No. It just means that the original question was too vague.

I also think that there are a bunch of things that in and of themselves are neither inherently bad nor good. Alcohol is a good example. The Bible seems to both condemn it and claim it's a gift to gladden the heart. That leads me to believe that the moral issue with drinking isn't actually about drinking at all, but rather abuse. Abuse is never right, whether a person abuses alcohol, food, or something else, abuse is the underlying issue.