Curiousity

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
1over137
Technical Admin
Christian: Yes
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Curiousity

Post by 1over137 »

I am reading one book and there is a quote from Albert Einstein:
"The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiousity has its own reason for existing. One cannot help but be in awe when he [or she] contemplates the mysteries of eternity , of life, of the marvelous structure of reality. It is enough if one tries merely to comprehend a little of this mystery every day. Never lose a holy curiousity."

So. What do you guys think? Is curiosity holy (according to Christianity)? Or is it harming?
But examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
-- 1 Thessalonians 5:21

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.
-- Philippians 1:6

#foreverinmyheart
neo-x
Ultimate Member
Sex: Male

Re: Curiousity

Post by neo-x »

It depends really...

straight off the bat, without much thinking I would say, it's not harmful, as long as it does not lead you into something against a Christian code of life or a commandment of God.

for example, things like witchcraft, and magic, could be pursued in trying to make sense of these things, out of curiosity, but in this regard, one would be in violation of the scriptures.

On second thought,
I think it would be illogical to generalize curiosity on such vague terms, I think we just need to be careful in our intentions and analyze each situation. I think one needs to ask himself why is the pursuit of something really important and does that violate any moral, ethical or spiritual term. For example, The guy who made the first gun, sure was curious to know how to kill a man swiftly.

by the way, I love the second quote by Socrates
"In every person there is a sun. Just let them shine."
It would be a blessing if they missed the cairns and got lost on the way back. Or if
the Thing on the ice got them tonight.

I could only turn and stare in horror at the chief surgeon.
Death by starvation is a terrible thing, Goodsir, continued Stanley.
And with that we went below to the flame-flickering Darkness of the lower deck
and to a cold almost the equal of the Dante-esque Ninth Circle Arctic Night
without.

//johnadavid.wordpress.com
Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

1over137 wrote:I am reading one book and there is a quote from Albert Einstein:
"The important thing is not to stop questioning. Curiousity has its own reason for existing. One cannot help but be in awe when he [or she] contemplates the mysteries of eternity , of life, of the marvelous structure of reality. It is enough if one tries merely to comprehend a little of this mystery every day. Never lose a holy curiousity."

So. What do you guys think? Is curiosity holy (according to Christianity)? Or is it harming?
If it weren't for Christian curiosity science would not exist, we'd still be living in caves.
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.
1over137
Technical Admin

Post by 1over137 »

I finally found something on web. Here is one sermon: http://www.sermonindex.net/modules/arti ... le&aid=836. They speak about curiousity as a sin, when it is sin ("Curious people should ask themselves what their motives are.") and so on. They also say "Furthermore we must realize that it is Satan who incites us to discover new things and to know and hear what we actually should not. If we give in to our curiosity, we have fallen into his trap and he laughs at us ". Reading that, well, was not it actually out of curiousity that Eve finally ate the apple?

What do you think about that sermon?

What I also wonder, is whether Sciptures has to say something about cusiousity. I searched the NASB Bible for the word 'curiousity' and has found nothing.

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.

#foreverinmyheart
Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

1over137 wrote:I finally found something on web. Here is one sermon: http://www.sermonindex.net/modules/arti ... le&aid=836. They speak about curiousity as a sin, when it is sin ("Curious people should ask themselves what their motives are.") and so on. They also say "Furthermore we must realize that it is Satan who incites us to discover new things and to know and hear what we actually should not. If we give in to our curiosity, we have fallen into his trap and he laughs at us ". Reading that, well, was not it actually out of curiousity that Eve finally ate the apple?

What do you think about that sermon?
Nonsense.
1over137 wrote:What I also wonder, is whether Sciptures has to say something about cusiousity. I searched the NASB Bible for the word 'curiousity' and has found nothing.
Proverbs 14:6
Proverbs 15:14
Proverbs 18:15
Malachi 2:7
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.
narnia4

Post by narnia4 »

The Bible definitely talks about finding knowledge. I find curiosity to be something neither good or bad in and of itself, but you have to be careful about what you seek as well. If you're curious about truth, God, the Bible, absolutely that's great. Exploring into demons and witchcraft, that'd be a bad use of your curiosity.

I do think curiosity is yet another indication of consciousness, thought, free will, etc. All things that fit better in a theistic worldview than in an atheistic worldview, which is why atheists tend to deny those things.
Young, Restless, Reformed
Silvertusk
Board Moderator

Post by Silvertusk »

Byblos wrote:

If it weren't for Christian curiosity science would not exist, we'd still be living in caves.
Agreed.
jlay
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by jlay »

Curiosity?

You know what they say...
-“The Bible treated allegorically becomes putty in the hands of the exegete.” John Walvoord

"I'm not saying scientists don't overstate their results. They do. And it's understandable, too...If you spend years working toward a certain goal and make no progress, of course you are going to spin your results in a positive light." Ivellious
Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Danieltwotwenty »

:pound: :pound: :pound: :pound: :pound:
Good one Jlay

Like all things God has created they can be used for good or evil including curiosity.
1Tim1:15-17
Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his immense patience as an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life. Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever.Amen.
KOGnition
Familiar Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by KOGnition »

Looking over Genesis again (3:2-3:6) I agree with Daniel that curiosity (like all things) has its choices and repercussions.

Is she curious about God's wisdom (second guessing his motives?) when He tells her not to do something? If so, she had a choice here. She could have very well chosen to be curious about the lying sack of serpent she was conversing with instead of The Father.
1over137
Technical Admin

Post by 1over137 »

Thanks guys for your opinions. I managed to get another one from one priest. Here it is:

Looking for "curiosity" in the Bible? You'll not find it. But the Bible does use words and phrases that express the same idea (e.g. "to search out a matter" Proverbs 25:2; Ecclesiastes 1: 13 and 12: 9 - 10). We are made "in the image of God", so we will have the mind to investigate for God's glory. It honors God when we are curious, when we investigate and try to apply our minds to the mysteries of the universe. God was pleased to conceal so much, so we would have the pleasure of "searching them out", explaining how it all works. It's great to be curious. God is honored when we do so, and we should try as best we can to see how God's world works. How people work. How diseases work. How to cure them. It's demanding and rewarding to see how he set laws that govern the universe, etc. There are no contradictions that Christians need fear in using their natural curiosity. We are called to be curious and learn from what we see (Prov. 24:32)!

Just some thoughts.

#foreverinmyheart
Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

1over137 wrote:Thanks guys for your opinions. I managed to get another one from one priest. Here it is:

Looking for "curiosity" in the Bible? You'll not find it. But the Bible does use words and phrases that express the same idea (e.g. "to search out a matter" Proverbs 25:2; Ecclesiastes 1: 13 and 12: 9 - 10). We are made "in the image of God", so we will have the mind to investigate for God's glory. It honors God when we are curious, when we investigate and try to apply our minds to the mysteries of the universe. God was pleased to conceal so much, so we would have the pleasure of "searching them out", explaining how it all works. It's great to be curious. God is honored when we do so, and we should try as best we can to see how God's world works. How people work. How diseases work. How to cure them. It's demanding and rewarding to see how he set laws that govern the universe, etc. There are no contradictions that Christians need fear in using their natural curiosity. We are called to be curious and learn from what we see (Prov. 24:32)!

Just some thoughts.
Beautifully said.

neo-x
Ultimate Member

Post by neo-x »

Beautiful indeed!
It would be a blessing if they missed the cairns and got lost on the way back. Or if
the Thing on the ice got them tonight.

I could only turn and stare in horror at the chief surgeon.
Death by starvation is a terrible thing, Goodsir, continued Stanley.
And with that we went below to the flame-flickering Darkness of the lower deck
and to a cold almost the equal of the Dante-esque Ninth Circle Arctic Night
without.

//johnadavid.wordpress.com
wrain62
Valued Member
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by wrain62 »

Silvertusk wrote:
Byblos wrote:

Agreed.
We would not be in caves. We cannot escape from the fact there were great advancements by non-Christians in science, philosiphy, and technology. Let us be more modest about our faith.
Romans 12:17 Do not repay anyone evil for evil. Be careful to do what is right in the eyes of everybody.
Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

wrain62 wrote:
Silvertusk wrote:
Byblos wrote:

Agreed.
We would not be in caves. We cannot escape from the fact there were great advancements by non-Christians in science, philosiphy, and technology. Let us be more modest about our faith.
Well, they would be modern caves with indoor plumbing and all. :ebiggrin: