What too many Christians do

General discussions about Christianity including salvation, heaven and hell, Christian history and so on.
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Re: What too many Christians do

Post by PaulSacramento »

I would think that the majority of Christians DON'T have an answer to the more crucial questions that a skeptic or atheist may have.
Most go through their lives never having to defend their faith and most never put any really thought into WHY they believe.
I think that it is unwarranted to ask the average Christian to be bale to be a proficient "apologetic" when they never get confronted with a NEED to be that.
Heck I've seen some priests shank their apologetics something fierce !
neo-x
Ultimate Member

Post by neo-x »

Neo, you just proved my point.
only way to do that would be by shrinking to your questions, which I really don't think anyone did :ewink:
It would be a blessing if they missed the cairns and got lost on the way back. Or if
the Thing on the ice got them tonight.

I could only turn and stare in horror at the chief surgeon.
Death by starvation is a terrible thing, Goodsir, continued Stanley.
And with that we went below to the flame-flickering Darkness of the lower deck
and to a cold almost the equal of the Dante-esque Ninth Circle Arctic Night
without.

//johnadavid.wordpress.com
ultimate777
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by ultimate777 »

Report this postReply with quoteRe: What too many Christians do
by B. W. on Mon Oct 31, 2011 9:32 am

ultimate777 wrote:
I think too many (but by no means all) Christians either refuse to deal with tough questions or try to side track them with platitudes and irrelevencies. IMHO either retards the cause of Christ. Don't they still have the brains that God gave them?

Do you???

Cute.

ultimate777 wrote:
....As you probably can tell I am more self-centered than most people and more than most want to do things for my own benefit with maybe too little concern for other factors, even regarding my thoughts on religion. Would Jesus accept me if that never changed?
ultimate777

Post by ultimate777 »

Neo, you old rascal, you doubled down!

Report this postReply with quoteRe: What too many Christians do
by neo-x on Tue Nov 01, 2011 1:11 am

Neo, you just proved my point.

only way to do that would be by shrinking to your questions, which I really don't think anyone did.
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

ultimate777 wrote: I think too many (but by no means all) Christians either refuse to deal with tough questions or try to side track them with platitudes and irrelevencies. IMHO either retards the cause of Christ. Don't they still have the brains that God gave them?
Do you have all the answers to tough question - ultimate777?

How do you, ultimate777, respond to tough questions?

ultimate777 wrote:....As you probably can tell I am more self-centered than most people and more than most want to do things for my own benefit with maybe too little concern for other factors, even regarding my thoughts on religion. Would Jesus accept me if that never changed?
Yes Jesus will accept you but do you him?

That my freind is the toughest of all questions we all have too answer....

-
-
-
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys
Proinsias
Advanced Senior Member
Christian: No
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Post by Proinsias »

ultimate777 wrote:I think too many (but by no means all) Christians either refuse to deal with tough questions or try to side track them with platitudes and irrelevencies. IMHO either retards the cause of Christ. Don't they still have the brains that God gave them?
I think that counts for most people.

Most people have questions they consider tough and in my experience most people are not equipped to deal with the question others deem reaaaaallllly important. I live in a great nation of tea drinkers, most of them are not equipped to deal with the sort of questions I have about tea. You can give your life to Jesus, or to drinking tea, without being overly knowledgeable on either subject. Is the important bit that you can repel or convert those who disagree with you? Some people are good at arguing and converting, some are not.

May I ask what the tough questions are and how you have dealt with them?
jestes
Familiar Member

Post by jestes »

I'm not here to try and defend any particular viewpoint, but I think that not everyone is supposed to be good at apologetics. Paul says that we are all baptized into one body, and that body has many parts. The very same guy who couldn't argue his way out of a paper bag could be the same guy who has more patience and kindness than anyone else you've ever met.
neo-x
Ultimate Member

Post by neo-x »

The very same guy who couldn't argue his way out of a paper bag could be the same guy who has more patience and kindness than anyone else you've ever met.
Agreed, this happens most of the time.
It would be a blessing if they missed the cairns and got lost on the way back. Or if

without.

kmr
Valued Member

Post by kmr »

ultimate777 wrote:I think too many (but by no means all) Christians either refuse to deal with tough questions or try to side track them with platitudes and irrelevencies.
Therefore I refuse to directly deal with this tough question, seeing as we spent the first half of this thread discussing the grammatical usage of the verb "to retard". :pound:
- KMR

Dominum meum amō!
neo-x
Ultimate Member

Post by neo-x »

Therefore I refuse to directly deal with this tough question, seeing as we spent the first half of this thread discussing the grammatical usage of the verb "to retard".
LOL :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

without.

Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member

Post by Danieltwotwenty »

kmr wrote:
ultimate777 wrote:I think too many (but by no means all) Christians either refuse to deal with tough questions or try to side track them with platitudes and irrelevencies.
Therefore I refuse to directly deal with this tough question, seeing as we spent the first half of this thread discussing the grammatical usage of the verb "to retard". :pound:
:pound: :pound: :pound:
1Tim1:15-17
Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his immense patience as an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life. Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever.Amen.
Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member

Post by Danieltwotwenty »

jestes wrote:I'm not here to try and defend any particular viewpoint, but I think that not everyone is supposed to be good at apologetics. Paul says that we are all baptized into one body, and that body has many parts. The very same guy who couldn't argue his way out of a paper bag could be the same guy who has more patience and kindness than anyone else you've ever met.

nice, i agree totally.
I am not very good at apologetics, sometimes i feel a little limited in my mental capacity but i feel i still do my part as the body of Christ.
1Tim1:15-17
Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his immense patience as an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life. Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever.Amen.
Widge
Recognized Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by Widge »

I think some of us Christians do struggle with Hard questions. E.G Why suffering occurs and why God is on mute sometimes