Former Global Warming Skeptic changes Mind

Discussion about scientific issues as they relate to God and Christianity including archaeology, origins of life, the universe, intelligent design, evolution, etc.
Canuckster1127
Old School
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Former Global Warming Skeptic changes Mind

Post by Canuckster1127 »

http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/ ... tml?sub=AR

This is significant. The money that funded this study for the physisist who did the research came from the Koch brothers who are the primary funders of what is now the Tea Party Movement.
Dogmatism is the comfortable intellectual framework of self-righteousness. Self-righteousness is more decadent than the worst sexual sin. ~ Dan Allender
DannyM
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: Former Global Warming Skeptic changes Mind

Post by DannyM »

FYI,

From the article:
One-quarter of the $600,000 to do the research came from the Charles Koch Foundation
credo ut intelligam

dei gratia
DannyM
Ultimate Member

Post by DannyM »

In the interest of fairness:

Scientist who said climate change sceptics had been proved wrong accused of hiding truth by colleague

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/ ... eague.html
credo ut intelligam

dei gratia
Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

This is so meaningless, I don't understand why it's news. There's no question the global temperature is rising (which he claims in his study), but what are the reasons behind this rise is still unclear (which he does NOT address in his study). In other words, he didn't say anything we don't already know.
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.
DannyM
Ultimate Member

Post by DannyM »

Byblos wrote:This is so meaningless, I don't understand why it's news. There's no question the global temperature is rising (which he claims in his study), but what are the reasons behind this rise is still unclear (which he does NOT address in his study). In other words, he didn't say anything we don't already know.
Indeed, and look at the article's heading:

Skeptic’s own study finds climate change real, but says scientists should be more critical

Who ever said climate change was not real? This reminds me of being told that I was a "climate denier". How on earth does one deny there is a climate, and change within this climate? This is the language of propaganda.
credo ut intelligam

dei gratia
MarcusOfLycia

Post by MarcusOfLycia »

Got into a small debate with a guy at work about the topic. He said "You know, there's tons of peer-reviewed stuff saying this stuff is real." It took a bit to convince him I agreed with him about Earth's warming temperatures! I don't think I ever had any doubt that the Earth's climate was changing in that direction.

The argument stopped when I said "I don't think we have enough evidence to say man is responsible". I still think that's the case. For one thing, it's God's Earth and nothing will happen without his permission. Second, 500 years ago, we were in a miniature ice age... parts of Siberia before that were suitable for farming! I think we are simply in the midst of an extremely common climate cycle.

Global warming alarmists have too much of the ring of self-importance to feel like a group honestly pursuing the truth.
-- Josh

“When you see a man with a great deal of religion displayed in his shop window, you may depend upon it, he keeps a very small stock of it within” C.H. Spurgeon

1st Corinthians 1:17- "For Christ did not send me to baptize, but to preach the gospel””not with words of human wisdom, lest the cross of Christ be emptied of its power"
kmr
Valued Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by kmr »

Yes, indeed. If you accept an Old-Earth worldview, then certainly you must know that during the Mesozoic Era (I.E. the time of the dinosaurs) the average earth's temperature was far higher. North America was just a thin strip of land with a massive "inland sea", and ice caps were far more rare. And we make all this fuss coming out of a cool period, the only hard evidence of temperature change being a trend over a couple decades (not very telling in a cycle that takes thousands of years to transpire).
- KMR

Dominum meum amō!