Is the tree of life symbolic?

General discussions about Christianity including salvation, heaven and hell, Christian history and so on.
Mastermind
Esteemed Senior Member

Is the tree of life symbolic?

Post by Mastermind »

I was skimming through revelations and I saw this:

22:2 through the middle of the street of the city; also, on either side of the river, the tree of life with its twelve kinds of fruit, yielding its fruit each month; and the leaves of the tree were for the healing of the nations.

This doesn't sound like a literal tree to me. But if this tree isn't literal, what of Adam and Eve?
Are you threatening me Master Skeptic?
AttentionKMartShoppers
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male

Post by AttentionKMartShoppers »

Why doesn't it seem like a literal tree? Just because it won't correspond to how trees currently produce fruit (not all year round).
"My actions prove that God takes care of idiots."

He occasionally stumbled over the truth, but hastily picked himself up and hurried on as if nothing had happened.
- On Stanley Baldwin

-Winston Churchill

An atheist can't find God for the same reason a criminal can't find a police officer.

You need to start asking out girls so that you can get used to the rejections.
-Anonymous
Mastermind
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Mastermind »

AttentionKMartShoppers wrote:Why doesn't it seem like a literal tree? Just because it won't correspond to how trees currently produce fruit (not all year round).
Among other things. Its leaves are healing other nations. 12 kinds of fruit. It all sounds like there is an actual meaning to it, not just a tree.
jerickson314
Established Member
Christian: No

Post by jerickson314 »

It could be a non-literal occurence of a literal entity. For example, God is present in potentially figurative parts of Revalation, but that doesn't mean God is simply a figurative being. Likewise, John could be applying figurative attributes to a literal tree.
Last edited by jerickson314 on Wed May 11, 2005 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AttentionKMartShoppers
Ultimate Member

12 kinds of fruits on one tree isn't necessarily a far flung idea. First of all, God made the rules for how plants work on earth, but He doesn't have to apply them to everything. Second, you can graft, so if a supernatural and infinte personal God...bound to the laws of nature (which He made), wanted a tree with 12 fruits, all He had to do was graft 11 branches onto one tree.

He occasionally stumbled over the truth, but hastily picked himself up and hurried on as if nothing had happened.
- On Stanley Baldwin

-Winston Churchill

An atheist can't find God for the same reason a criminal can't find a police officer.

-Anonymous
Mastermind
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Mastermind »

AttentionKMartShoppers wrote:12 kinds of fruits on one tree isn't necessarily a far flung idea. First of all, God made the rules for how plants work on earth, but He doesn't have to apply them to everything. Second, you can graft, so if a supernatural and infinte personal God...bound to the laws of nature (which He made), wanted a tree with 12 fruits, all He had to do was graft 11 branches onto one tree.
But there is also the issue of Eden (where the original tree of life is located) not being around anymore.
AttentionKMartShoppers
Ultimate Member

Mastermind, don't you remember? It's back on that flooded planet of yours. :wink: It was either taken up by God, died (after everything was subject to death), or it was destroyed and buried during the Flood which really happenned on Earth.

- On Stanley Baldwin

-Winston Churchill

-Anonymous
Mastermind
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Mastermind »

AttentionKMartShoppers wrote:Mastermind, don't you remember? It's back on that flooded planet of yours. :wink: It was either taken up by God, died (after everything was subject to death), or it was destroyed and buried during the Flood which really happenned on Earth.
Which means the tree of life is gone. But it appears again in Revelations. It makes more sense that it is symbolic IMO.
AttentionKMartShoppers
Ultimate Member

So, if God didn't take it up and it was destroyed...(wait, it's the tree of life, how can it die??) what's the problem with making another one? God made the first one and all.

- On Stanley Baldwin

-Winston Churchill

-Anonymous
Mastermind
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Mastermind »

AttentionKMartShoppers wrote:So, if God didn't take it up and it was destroyed...(wait, it's the tree of life, how can it die??) what's the problem with making another one? God made the first one and all.
It's not A tree of life, it's THE tree of life. And what did God do with the tree? Move it on the moon?
voicingmaster
Established Member

Post by voicingmaster »

It's possible that the whole story of Adam and Eve was a myth inspired by God to get a point accross. Jesus told several stories to get points accross, and Jesus is a reflection of God, so it would make sense that God would do this as well. The moral of the story being that if you believe Satan over God, you will be punished, but if you would've stayed with God, you will continue to be blessed. Also, look at what Adam and Eve did when they bit the fruit, they hid and clothed themselves. They were trying to hide thier sin, just as some do know. Butt, no matter where you hide, God will find you, as He did in the Garden. Usually, symbolism rarely happens in real life.

Another thing that points to Adam and Eve being mythological, is the law of incest. In the Bible, incest is a sin. But however, if the Adam and Eve thing is true, then everybody is committing incest right now. Also, incest usually results in retardation or other deformaties, so the population o f Earth would be declining or getting worse by each generation, but that doesn't seem to be happening. In fact, our lifespans are increasing, just the opposite. Which could also mean that the story of Noah could also be a myth. Two animals of one kind is not enough to repopulate an area of said kind.
kateliz
Advanced Senior Member
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by kateliz »

I was in a taxi once where the driver had some views similar to Mastermind's. He, however, (and this creeped me out, being stuck in a car with him,) said that the whole Bible is symbolic of sex. He claimed that the Tree of Life was a woman, with the snake in it. I don't remember what other things he said about that, but I probably wouldn't want to remember them anyway! He also claimed that the devil was part of God, but that's another topic.

I believe that the Tree(s) of Life are a concept. Different than figurative in that they are real, (at least the first one,) but similar in that they don't truly hold spiritual properties themselves but are a sort of medium for God to impart the spiritual. Because they aren't spiritual themselves it wouldn't matter if they got destroyed or recreated.

I'm not sure about the Revelation trees being literal or figurative because I'm still thinking over just how symbolic Revelations as a whole is. I stopped reading Hal Lindsey's There's Another World Coming which convincingly presents Revelation as much more symbolic than traditionally understood, and so my changing thoughts are temporarily halted from a conclusion.

(This I wrote before I found voicingmaster's last post here, which I don't feel like responding to right now.)
AttentionKMartShoppers
Ultimate Member

It's possible that the whole story of Adam and Eve was a myth inspired by God to get a point accross
You have a problem. Jesus is basically called the opposite of Adam. Adam brought death into the world, and Jesus came to do the opposite. So, you do this, and Jesus has no purpose, because man didn't do anything to bring death into the world, God made death then.
Butt
Um, that butt is the one you sit on.
Another thing that points to Adam and Eve being mythological, is the law of incest.
He says so after there are enough people running around. If they would have kept on going at it like they were, they would have diminished the gene pool in each individual group.
In fact, our lifespans are increasing, just the opposite. Which could also mean that the story of Noah could also be a myth. Two animals of one kind is not enough to repopulate an area of said kind.
Our chances of survival are increasing, we're just surviving more is what I'm thinking. Most of the world doesn't have a high average lifespan like in industrialized countries. You can't call whatever you want to be a "story." Wow, you're tearing the Bible up.

- On Stanley Baldwin

-Winston Churchill

-Anonymous
Mastermind
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Mastermind »

voicingmaster wrote:It's possible that the whole story of Adam and Eve was a myth inspired by God to get a point accross. Jesus told several stories to get points accross, and Jesus is a reflection of God, so it would make sense that God would do this as well. The moral of the story being that if you believe Satan over God, you will be punished, but if you would've stayed with God, you will continue to be blessed. Also, look at what Adam and Eve did when they bit the fruit, they hid and clothed themselves. They were trying to hide thier sin, just as some do know. Butt, no matter where you hide, God will find you, as He did in the Garden. Usually, symbolism rarely happens in real life.

Another thing that points to Adam and Eve being mythological, is the law of incest. In the Bible, incest is a sin. But however, if the Adam and Eve thing is true, then everybody is committing incest right now. Also, incest usually results in retardation or other deformaties, so the population o f Earth would be declining or getting worse by each generation, but that doesn't seem to be happening. In fact, our lifespans are increasing, just the opposite. Which could also mean that the story of Noah could also be a myth. Two animals of one kind is not enough to repopulate an area of said kind.
Actually, I know somebody who doesn't know whether to take Genesis as literal or not because he feels that it might be a parody of the cultures around it (Israel has a history of jokers so it wouldn't surprise me).
Mastermind
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Mastermind »

kateliz wrote:I was in a taxi once where the driver had some views similar to Mastermind's. He, however, (and this creeped me out, being stuck in a car with him,) said that the whole Bible is symbolic of sex. He claimed that the Tree of Life was a woman, with the snake in it. I don't remember what other things he said about that, but I probably wouldn't want to remember them anyway! He also claimed that the devil was part of God, but that's another topic.
Gee, thanks. ;_;