I need a short concise answer please

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

I need a short concise answer please

Post by Danieltwotwenty »

I was having a discussion with a friend about freewill and original sin, his point was if God is outside of time he knows what the outcome is already so the events are already determined and would negate freewill. My best response is that yes he knows the outcome but we are still inside time and have the free choice right now........ im confused. I see his point but i disagree.

I know there are some threads on determinism etc... but there was way too much info for me to absorb and condence it to a short answer.

Thanks in advance

Daniel
1Tim1:15-17
Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his immense patience as an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life. Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever.Amen.
MarcusOfLycia

Re: I need a short concise answer please

Post by MarcusOfLycia »

Does knowledge of an event cause the event to happen?
-- Josh

“When you see a man with a great deal of religion displayed in his shop window, you may depend upon it, he keeps a very small stock of it within” C.H. Spurgeon

1st Corinthians 1:17- "For Christ did not send me to baptize, but to preach the gospel””not with words of human wisdom, lest the cross of Christ be emptied of its power"
Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member

Thanks marcus, thats kinda what i was thinking but said better.
If anyone has any other thoughts please feel free.
Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his immense patience as an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life. Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever.Amen.
Proinsias
Advanced Senior Member
Christian: No
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Post by Proinsias »

This is a post from a thread long long ago, on a forum far far away, I've found myself coming back to it over the years.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

I agree with Marcus.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

If we do not have free will, then God would be the cause of our sin. Our free will also comes within precise parameters God has set for us: We cannot fly or walk through walls. Our days are fixed, and God at times intervenes, sways, and sometimes completely alters events as he so desires - despite our free choices. And God has framed our destinies to correspond to our individual RESPONSES to His freely given, totally unmerited offer to either believe/repent/follow Jesus or to reject Him entirely. And our choices lead to very clear and permanent end results: eternal life with God or eternal punishment without him. We are all born able to be either so WILLING to respond to God's overtures or to rebuff them. Only being receptive does not save us, but HE will save all SO WILLING to listen, believe and follow Him - yet they can only do so with His help. And yet, we CAN ALL either be WILLING to respond to God's overtures to us and thus receive His power to save them - or NOT. God saves, but we can only (as a beggar with his hand out) and MUST (for salvation) accept His free gift. God will not FORCE anyone to love Him.
neo-x
Ultimate Member

Post by neo-x »

Yes. Because if not, then how is the knowledge of that event came to be, in the first place?

the only way the knowledge of a future event, is in the present, is because the event is to occur. It has to.
It would be a blessing if they missed the cairns and got lost on the way back. Or if
the Thing on the ice got them tonight.

I could only turn and stare in horror at the chief surgeon.
Death by starvation is a terrible thing, Goodsir, continued Stanley.
And with that we went below to the flame-flickering Darkness of the lower deck
and to a cold almost the equal of the Dante-esque Ninth Circle Arctic Night
without.

//johnadavid.wordpress.com
neo-x
Ultimate Member

Post by neo-x »

I don't think God always knew we will sin. But he always knew we COULD sin.
It would be a blessing if they missed the cairns and got lost on the way back. Or if

without.

Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member

neo-x wrote:I don't think God always knew we will sin. But he always knew we COULD sin.
I think the problem lies with our inability to comprehend what it would be like to see all time at once, the multi dimensional nature of God is always going to be a mystery.............hmmmmmmmmmm
neo-x
Ultimate Member

Post by neo-x »

neo-x wrote:

I think the problem lies with our inability to comprehend what it would be like to see all time at once, the multi dimensional nature of God is always going to be a mystery.............hmmmmmmmmmm
I agree Dan, but given the case, either we stop making assumptions all of it together or we do it as we have already made up our minds and sects and ideas and theology. Break the case with what we know and try to discern with as much accuracy as we can.....no harm done :esmile:

without.

Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member

neo-x wrote:
neo-x wrote:

I agree Dan, but given the case, either we stop making assumptions all of it together or we do it as we have already made up our minds and sects and ideas and theology. Break the case with what we know and try to discern with as much accuracy as we can.....no harm done :esmile:
for sure but i really cant see the evidence going one way or the other so far....
domokunrox
Valued Member

Post by domokunrox »

MarcusOfLycia wrote:Does knowledge of an event cause the event to happen?
I'm going to play the other side of the argument

The problem is the paradox.

If the event hasn't happened, how do you know what happened?

We know the universe is going to die a heat death, does that make me partially omniscience?

Are you saying we're already predestined, so I can do anything I want because my life path has already happened?

So, I don't really have a choice right now do I? Since I already did this and did that. The very fact that I am typing a message right now was already decided before I even decided to do it or before I even knew I was going to.

I'm not trying to be difficult here, but do you guys see the implications of this? Our mind is amazingly powerful, and it tells me this is very illogical. Its like an episode of Lost.

If you want my opinion. Being outside of time does not mean you have superior psychic abilities or that you drive a Delorean. Thats a stupid assumption to make straight out of a sci-fi movie.

But since we're talking about God, He is omniscient and knows everything. He knows everything that can be known about the future. The fact that there is an end and EXACTLY when it WILL HAPPEN BECAUSE HE WILLS IT, the movements of the cosmos BECAUSE HE WILLS IT, the future natural progress of the universe. God cannot know what we do until what we will do enters the realm of our mind. This does not undermine his omniscience. That is superior knowledge and in line with the free will he has given us.

God's Prophecy is not an act of omniscience. Its an act of omnipotence. HE CAN AND HAS WILLED EVENTS and made VERY good on his promises.

As I said in another thread
1. Man's free will is free under a sovereign God.
2. God doesn't take "risks".
3. God doesn't need to learn. He already knows everything.
4. God doesn't make mistakes.
5. God doesn't change his mind. We change our mind, and God allows us to.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

neo-x wrote:
Yes. Because if not, then how is the knowledge of that event came to be, in the first place?

the only way the knowledge of a future event, is in the present, is because the event is to occur. It has to.
Neo, I hope you can see the flaw of your thinking here. You've summed up your argument's flaw so perfectly here.
Knowledge of a future event is not in the present. God's knowledge of an event in our future, is viewed by God, who is outside of time. There is no past, present, and future as God views creation. Time was created, not eternally existing. God is not limited by time.
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

-Edward R Murrow

B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

Please take a look at my post page two on the thread link posted below... for a short concise answer...

http://discussions.godandscience.org/vi ... 0&start=15
-
-
-
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

If the event hasn't happened, how do you know what happened?
We don't. We exist inside of time. God's omniscience is not limited to time.
We know the universe is going to die a heat death, does that make me partially omniscience?
No, that makes entropy real, and observable.
Are you saying we're already predestined, so I can do anything I want because my life path has already happened?
I don't see anyone saying that. In our view, life hasn't happened yet, because, right now, we are limited to our time-space reality. God is not limited to time.
So, I don't really have a choice right now do I? Since I already did this and did that. The very fact that I am typing a message right now was already decided before I even decided to do it or before I even knew I was going to.
Who's saying you already did this and that. Who said anything you will do has been decided already? You are not listening to what we're saying.
I'm not trying to be difficult here, but do you guys see the implications of this? Our mind is amazingly powerful, and it tells me this is very illogical. Its like an episode of Lost.
My mind is amazingly simple. And, simple logic tells me you're argument is over-thought, and illogical.
If you want my opinion. Being outside of time does not mean you have superior psychic abilities or that you drive a Delorean. Thats a stupid assumption to make straight out of a sci-fi movie.
Psychic, is a word that pertains to humans. Being outside time, only pertains to God. He is omniscient, and not restricted to time.
The fact that there is an end and EXACTLY when it WILL HAPPEN BECAUSE HE WILLS IT
An end to what? This temporary creation, limited to space and time? Or an end to eternity with God? Think about it.
God cannot know what we do until what we will do enters the realm of our mind.
:brick:

-Edward R Murrow