free will: quotes only

Discussions about the Bible, and any issues raised by Scripture.
1over137
Technical Admin
Christian: Yes
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

free will: quotes only

Post by 1over137 »

Hey guys, there is an interesting discussion going on in Christian Theology forum in the thread Free will and omniscience. What I am interested in here are the quotes from Bible concerning the free will. I will post some and will be more than happy to read more of them. This thread is meant to contain only quotes. I hope you understand. (I want to make up my own mind.)

Proverbs 16:33 (ESV)
33 The lot is cast into the lap, but its every decision is from the Lord.

Romans 11:36 (ESV)
36 For from him and through him and to him are all things. To him be glory forever. Amen.

Ephesians 1:11 (ESV)
11 In him we have obtained an inheritance, having been predestined according to the purpose of him who works all things according to the counsel of his will,

Proverbs 20:24 (ESV)
24 A man’s steps are from the Lord; how then can man understand his way?

1 John 3:20 (ESV)
20 for whenever our heart condemns us, God is greater than our heart, and he knows everything.

Proverbs 15:3 (ESV)
3 The eyes of the Lord are in every place, keeping watch on the evil and the good.
But examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
-- 1 Thessalonians 5:21

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.
-- Philippians 1:6

#foreverinmyheart
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member
Sex: It's Complicated
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Re: free will: quotes only

Post by Furstentum Liechtenstein »

Eze 3:27b, the reference to free will is in the second part of the verse: ...Whoever will listen let him listen, and whoever will refuse, let him refuse...

Jer 34:17-19, the reference to free will is implied in verse 17, specifically, ...You have not obeyed me... The implication is that the people to whom this is addressed had a choice. They freely chose disobedience.
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
domokunrox
Valued Member

Post by domokunrox »

(NASB)Genesis 2:16-17
The LORD God commanded the man, saying, "From any tree of the garden you may eat freely; [17] but from the tree of the knowledge of good and evil you shall not eat, for in the day that you eat from it you will surely die."

(NASB)2 Corinthians 9:7
Each one must do just as he has purposed in his heart, not grudgingly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver.

(NASB)Philemon 1:14
but without your consent I did not want to do anything, so that your goodness would not be, in effect, by compulsion but of your own free will.

(NASB)Revelation 22:17
The Spirit and the bride say, "Come " And let the one who hears say, "Come " And let the one who is thirsty come; let the one who wishes take the water of life without cost.

(NASB)1 Peter 2:16
Act as free men, and do not use your freedom as a covering for evil, but use it as bondslaves of God.

(NASB)1 Corinthians 2:12
Now we have received, not the spirit of the world, but the Spirit who is from God, so that we may know the things freely given to us by God,

(NASB)Exodus 13:17
Now when Pharaoh had let the people go, God did not lead them by the way of the land of the Philistines, even though it was near; for God said, "The people might change their minds when they see war, and return to Egypt."

(NASB)Jeremiah 23:21-22
"I did not send these prophets, But they ran. I did not speak to them, But they prophesied. [22] "But if they had stood in My council, Then they would have announced My words to My people, And would have turned them back from their evil way And from the evil of their deeds.
Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Danieltwotwenty »

Aye, fight and you may die. Run, and you'll live... at least a while. And dying in your beds, many years from now, would you be willin' to trade ALL the days, from this day to that, for one chance, just one chance, to come back here and tell our enemies that they may take our lives, but they'll never take... OUR FREEDOM!
8) :lol:
1Tim1:15-17
Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his immense patience as an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life. Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever.Amen.
domokunrox
Valued Member

Post by domokunrox »

Btw, just for informative purposes.

In the NASB version I conducted searches for key words in the NT

"Predestined" is mentioned 6 times.
1 time in acts, and the rest were done in Paul's writings.

"Free" is mentioned a total of 58 times.
1over137
Technical Admin
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by 1over137 »

domokunrox wrote:Btw, just for informative purposes.

In the NASB version I conducted searches for key words in the NT

"Predestined" is mentioned 6 times.
1 time in acts, and the rest were done in Paul's writings.

"Free" is mentioned a total of 58 times.
I've been just searching for the word 'chosen' and found:
- 113 results in whole NASB
- 54 results in NT
But examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
-- 1 Thessalonians 5:21

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.
-- Philippians 1:6

#foreverinmyheart