HELP!!!

Discussions amongst Christians about life issues, walking with Christ, and general Christian topics that don't fit under any other area.
Silvertusk
Board Moderator
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided

HELP!!!

Post by Silvertusk »

I have just been given an assignment by my minister to deliver a 20mins apologetic sermon on the virgin birth by December 11th. Any ideas where I can start because I do not have a clue.

Thank you very much in advance.

SIlvertusk.
jlay
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Re: HELP!!!

Post by jlay »

None.

How about googling 'apologetics on the virgin birth.'
-“The Bible treated allegorically becomes putty in the hands of the exegete.” John Walvoord

"I'm not saying scientists don't overstate their results. They do. And it's understandable, too...If you spend years working toward a certain goal and make no progress, of course you are going to spin your results in a positive light." Ivellious
August
Old School
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by August »

What is the format? Is it to state the most common objections and answer them, or to present evidence/favorable overview in monologue type format? Is the overall context intended to be theological, or to answer secular objections?

The reason I ask is because the two main topics I have found with the Virgin Birth are normally:
1. It did not happen (atheists/secularists)
2. It was not necessary (some other Christians)
Acts 17:24-25 (NIV)
"The God who made the world and everything in it is the Lord of heaven and earth and does not live in temples built by hands. [25] And he is not served by human hands, as if he needed anything, because he himself gives all men life and breath and everything else."

//www.omnipotentgrace.org
//christianskepticism.blogspot.com
Silvertusk
Board Moderator

Post by Silvertusk »

August wrote:What is the format? Is it to state the most common objections and answer them, or to present evidence/favorable overview in monologue type format? Is the overall context intended to be theological, or to answer secular objections?

The reason I ask is because the two main topics I have found with the Virgin Birth are normally:
To be honest a bit of both. - State objections and answer then and present some evidence favourable for it.

Silvertusk.
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

Silvertusk wrote:
August wrote:What is the format? Is it to state the most common objections and answer them, or to present evidence/favorable overview in monologue type format? Is the overall context intended to be theological, or to answer secular objections?

To be honest a bit of both. - State objections and answer then and present some evidence favourable for it.

Silvertusk.
You'll mostly be graded on format so do the objections first and then the answer... so here is my basic outline I would develop...

Intro statment VB, did it happen or not -- the oppenents say...

(Look for the Standard Objections for VB – pick three from atheist form the web)
Point one
Point two
Point three

You'll need a Connecting remark to add here to lead into the next part of outline…

The importance of the VB
God cares enough to become one of us
Came to save us from ourselves – Examples (world’s a mess, riots, slander, hate)

Then for conclusion, speak briefly on how modern science that can artificially inseminate a woman, by needle through the abdominal wall and say yes, Virgin birth (VB) is possible… isn’t it? Why not for God then?

(Then Say something like this in your own words…)

So the issue is not so much the VB but rather God’s existence. If God does not exist then none of this matters; however, if he does, through the VB came salvation through Christ and that does, why take a chance… (Stop-look to right, left, straight ahead, fold notes and leave podium)
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys
Silvertusk
Board Moderator

Post by Silvertusk »

Thanks B.W. That is really helpful :) :) :) :)
StMonicaGuideMe
Valued Member

Post by StMonicaGuideMe »

Let us know how it goes!
To sustain the belief that there is no God, atheism has to demonstrate infinite knowledge, which is tantamount to saying, “I have infinite knowledge that there is no being in existence with infinite knowledge".
Silvertusk
Board Moderator

Post by Silvertusk »

Thank you I will. I will post my final sermon as well to see what you think. I have also volunteered to do the children's talk that day as well. I am going to do it on miracles so it fits in. Got a few ideas on that.

God Bless.
1harpazo
Recognized Member

Post by 1harpazo »

God is a God of miracles and why did Jesus have to be born of a virgin.
StMonicaGuideMe
Valued Member

How'd your sermon go?? :)
To sustain the belief that there is no God, atheism has to demonstrate infinite knowledge, which is tantamount to saying, “I have infinite knowledge that there is no being in existence with infinite knowledge".
Silvertusk
Board Moderator

Post by Silvertusk »

It is on the 11th December - still writing at the moment. Done a page and a half - got some good material. Will post on here when I have finished. Thank you for asking :ebiggrin:
StMonicaGuideMe
Valued Member

OH YAY!!!!!! :D
Murray
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Murray »

1harpazo wrote:God is a God of miracles and why did Jesus have to be born of a virgin.
Perhaps because he is the son of god? Mary was impregnated by the holy spirit, or if you believe in the trinity , A.K.A God.
in nomine patri et fili spiritu sancte
Silvertusk
Board Moderator

Post by Silvertusk »

1harpazo wrote:God is a God of miracles and why did Jesus have to be born of a virgin.

Jesus needed to be untainted by the fall and so needed a supernatural conception to be completely sinless from the start.
1harpazo
Recognized Member

Post by 1harpazo »

Murray wrote:
Perhaps because he is the son of god? Mary was impregnated by the holy spirit, or if you believe in the trinity , A.K.A God.
Just a couple ideas to include in the sermon.