Blinding the mind

Discussions about the Bible, and any issues raised by Scripture.
Murray
Esteemed Senior Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided

Blinding the mind

Post by Murray »

Quick question on 2 Corinthians 4:4 "the god of this age has blinded the minds of the unbelievers so that they cannot see the light of the gospel that displays the glory of god, who is the image of god". Now what benefit does got get from blinding unbelievers?

But in Matthew 7:7 seems to contradict this by stating "...Seek and you will find, knock and the door will be opened to you".

What was paul's message that he was trying to get across? Why would he say that god has blinded disbelievers?

Is this in a sense saying that only some have the ability to search and find? (thus playing into Calvinism)
in nomine patri et fili spiritu sancte
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: Blinding the mind

Post by RickD »

Quick question on 2 Corinthians 4:4 "the god of this age has blinded the minds of the unbelievers so that they cannot see the light of the gospel that displays the glory of god, who is the image of god". Now what benefit does got get from blinding unbelievers?
The god of this world, in this instance, is Satan, not God.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Murray
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Murray »

why did he not just say satan? y:-/

and isn't Satan a fallen archangel not a god
in nomine patri et fili spiritu sancte
jlay
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by jlay »

satan could be referred to as the god of this world. In this case the word translated 'world' is better interpreted as age. For example, what do we mean when we say, "the world has gone crazy." For example, Do not be conformed to this world[aion], but be transformed... (Romans 12:2)

People don’t reject the truth because they are blind; they are blinded because they have rejected the truth.

Look at what Satan offered Christ.
"And the devil, taking him up into an high mountain, shewed unto him all the kingdoms of the world in a moment of time. and the devil said unto him, All this power will I give thee, and the glory of them: for that is delivered unto me; and to whomsoever I will I give it." (Luke 4:5-6)

Murray wrote:why did he not just say satan?
Ephesians 2:2
1 John 5:19
Maybe for the same reasons as Jesus.
John 12:31

A proper exegesis reveals total consistency.
-“The Bible treated allegorically becomes putty in the hands of the exegete.” John Walvoord

"I'm not saying scientists don't overstate their results. They do. And it's understandable, too...If you spend years working toward a certain goal and make no progress, of course you are going to spin your results in a positive light." Ivellious
aijeanskikz
Newbie Member

Post by aijeanskikz »

Murray wrote:Quick question on 2 Corinthians 4:4 "the god of this age has blinded the minds of the unbelievers so that they cannot see the light of the gospel that displays the glory of god, who is the image of god". Now what benefit does got get from blinding unbelievers?
My thoughts (-,-)..hmm if it’ll be interpreted from what our world is now, I think the god it’s talking about are those things that make man forget and have lost faith to God; money, power and vices. Those are the things that lure people to do wrong and move apart to Him. y[-o<