Defending an animal

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
Ryan
Acquainted Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided

Defending an animal

Post by Ryan »

I was talking to my mom about a movie she saw where there were scenes of animal abuse (fake, obviously). She said that that was one of few reasons she could ever see herself killing someone.

I got to thinking and animal abuse is one of my hot topics also. I rarely lose composure but Lord help me if I see someone hurting an animal. Even compared to humans, I get flustered faster watching someone beat an animal than someone beating a human. Even though I value a humans life more, I can't stand watching them get hurt.

That raised the question in my mind, I know murder in defense is permissible, but is it considered murder as per the Bible if you are defending an animal?
kmr
Valued Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Re: Defending an animal

Post by kmr »

Not necessarily... God does value animals and cares for them and their suffering, can't remember the exact verse now, but I suspect the reason we all feel so much pain when we witness animal abuse is because we know and can sense that animals are innocent, unlike humans. Innocent animals and babies being hurt should rightfully have a greater impact. I certainly do not think it is right to kill an animal and cause suffering without reason, although I wouldn't go so far as to make it a crime. They have souls and feelings like us, but they do not have to answer to God due to their innocence, which is why their lives do not hold the weight that ours do.
- KMR

Dominum meum amō!
Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Danieltwotwenty »

We were made the curators of this small planet and we should respect God's creation.
If you need to kill to eat do it fast and effectively, animal abuse is not acceptable for any reason.
Not sure about muder if you are defending an animal?
1Tim1:15-17
Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his immense patience as an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life. Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever.Amen.
andyb1979
Newbie Member

Post by andyb1979 »

Its proverbs 12:10
"A righteous man regards the life of his animal,
But the tender mercies of the wicked are cruel. "