John 6

Discussions about the Bible, and any issues raised by Scripture.
1over137
Technical Admin
Christian: Yes
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

John 6

Post by 1over137 »

I am particularly interested in the following verses:

John 6:44 No one can come to Me unless the Father who sent Me draws him; and I will raise him up on the last day.
John 6:65 And He was saying, “For this reason I have said to you, that no one can come to Me unless it has been granted him from the Father.

Sounds like Calvinism. What do you think is the meaning of those verses?
But examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
-- 1 Thessalonians 5:21

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.
-- Philippians 1:6

#foreverinmyheart
Byblos
Old School

Re: John 6

Post by Byblos »

1over137 wrote:I am particularly interested in the following verses:

John 6:44 No one can come to Me unless the Father who sent Me draws him; and I will raise him up on the last day.
John 6:65 And He was saying, “For this reason I have said to you, that no one can come to Me unless it has been granted him from the Father.

Oy vey! 1over137, you are a sadist (just joking, please don't be offended). Don't you think we have enough predestinatiion threads going on at the same time?
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.
1over137
Technical Admin

Post by 1over137 »

Well, sorry. I already have read the whole gospel of John, and what I am trying to do is to reconcile some verses. I cannot just live with contradictions.

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.

#foreverinmyheart
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by PaulSacramento »

The GOJ is a beautifully written work.
What the writer is trying to convey is the words of Christ that mean that it is Our Beloved father that leads Us to Christ, our belief and hope in God the father is what leads us to the Son and it is THROUGH the Son that we can have The father.
1over137
Technical Admin

Post by 1over137 »

PaulSacramento wrote:

The GOJ is a beautifully written work.
What the writer is trying to convey is the words of Christ that mean that it is Our Beloved father that leads Us to Christ, our belief and hope in God the father is what leads us to the Son and it is THROUGH the Son that we can have The father.
I was reading your sentence (particularly the highlighted part) again and again and I have come to this:
Maybe the verse 44 could be written this way: No one can come to Me unless the Father who sent Me attracts him; and I will raise him up on the last day.
When something attracts us it means that it touches our heart. And when something can touch our hearts? Only when our hearts are not empty. There is something in our hearts that is in harmony with that something which is attracting us. So, Father attracts us only when our hearts are not cold, are not closed, when they desire for the truth and for the harmony.

Concerning the verse 65: I suppose that it has been granted us when our hearts are like I wrote above.

#foreverinmyheart
DannyM
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by DannyM »

PaulSacramento wrote:it is Our Beloved father that leads Us to Christ, our belief and hope in God the father is what leads us to the Son...
Sounds like we're already there to me.
PaulSacramento wrote:...and it is THROUGH the Son that we can have The father.
credo ut intelligam

dei gratia
1over137
Technical Admin

Post by 1over137 »

From http://evangelicalarminians.org/node/49 :

“HELKUO, to draw, differs from suro as drawing does from violent dragging…This less violent significance, usually present in helko, but always absent from suro, is seen in the metaphorical use of helko, to signify drawing by inward power, by Divine impulse, John 6:44; 12:32.” [328]

The context of John 6 and the theological emphasis of the gospel of John forbids the Calvinist interpretation of John 6:44. The Arminian understanding of prevenient grace, however, does justice to the context of Jn. 6 and the overall tenor of John’s gospel.

God’s prevenient or assisting grace is morally drawing all people to Himself (John 12:32). This gracious working of God does not compel or force anyone to believe but enables all to respond to God’s commands to turn away from sin in repentance, and towards the Savior Jesus Christ in faith. Thus, with all the strength of Calvinism, salvation can be ascribed completely to God, but without denying genuine human responsibility that Calvinism does.”

#foreverinmyheart
jlay
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by jlay »

If we look at these verses on their own, then sure. The first question I'd ask is, "what is it to be drawn?" Regarding verse 65. A logical conclusion is that no one can be saved unless salvation is granted. That is why Christ is crucified from the foundation of the world. Without the reality of the cross and resurection, there is no salvation to grant. Thus, man is incapable of finding God on His own. And when i say finding, I am not talking about general knowledge, but a reality to respond to. Abraham had not conceived the cross, but was still able to exhibit faith. Without the reality of the cross, could Abraham have done such? I say no.

If we stay in the GOJ, then Jesus later said, "And I, if I be lifted up from the earth, will draw all men unto me." We know that lifted up referred to the cross. And, may also refer to the ascension, and thus the completed work of Christ on the Earth, which is the Gospel. No one can come to the son unless the cross was a reality. The Father has made it a reality.
-“The Bible treated allegorically becomes putty in the hands of the exegete.” John Walvoord

"I'm not saying scientists don't overstate their results. They do. And it's understandable, too...If you spend years working toward a certain goal and make no progress, of course you are going to spin your results in a positive light." Ivellious
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

jlay wrote:
If we look at these verses on their own, then sure. The first question I'd ask is, "what is it to be drawn?" Regarding verse 65. A logical conclusion is that no one can be saved unless salvation is granted. That is why Christ is crucified from the foundation of the world. Without the reality of the cross and resurection, there is no salvation to grant. Thus, man is incapable of finding God on His own. And when i say finding, I am not talking about general knowledge, but a reality to respond to. Abraham had not conceived the cross, but was still able to exhibit faith. Without the reality of the cross, could Abraham have done such? I say no.

If we stay in the GOJ, then Jesus later said, "And I, if I be lifted up from the earth, will draw all men unto me." We know that lifted up referred to the cross. And, may also refer to the ascension, and thus the completed work of Christ on the Earth, which is the Gospel. No one can come to the son unless the cross was a reality. The Father has made it a reality.
So, jlay, you're not a Calvinist?
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
jlay
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by jlay »

No sir. Did something I said give you a different impression?
-“The Bible treated allegorically becomes putty in the hands of the exegete.” John Walvoord

"I'm not saying scientists don't overstate their results. They do. And it's understandable, too...If you spend years working toward a certain goal and make no progress, of course you are going to spin your results in a positive light." Ivellious
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

jlay wrote:No sir. Did something I said give you a different impression?
No, your post sounded like you weren't coming from a Calvinist perspective. Just an observation I made, and wanted to be sure.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

In my opinion the Complete Jewish Bible contains the best original language translation into English concerning verse 65…

John 6:65 "This," he said, "is why I told you that no one can come to me unless the Father has made it possible for him." from the Complete Jewish Bible (CJB)

With that is mind, help to understand how the word translated Draw meaning in verse 44 is to be understood, not as of forceful dragging but rather a drawing toward without the notion of force in play.

This would line up with the notion of grace and faith – being fully persuaded...

Now look at Ephesians 2:8, 9, 10c and Romans 10:10, 11, 13, 14, 15c and what do you see about how the father Draws?
-
-
-
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys