Were you more tempted after baptism?

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
mum1983
Familiar Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Female

Were you more tempted after baptism?

Post by mum1983 »

I was discussing my upcoming baptism with a church leader and she claimed that after people are baptised they are often more tempted by things. Has this happened for you? I would argue the temptations have always been there but it's just that you feel guiltier for giving into them because now you are baptised you should (for lack of a better phrase) "know better." Discussions welcome.
neo-x
Ultimate Member
Sex: Male

Re: Were you more tempted after baptism?

Post by neo-x »

I think this happens because you have left you old life. Like all routines, the works of the previous life would be a part of your natural order of doing things. So once you are aware that you are not to partake in the acts of the flesh, it reminds you of your early life and thus, what is, is a habit of doing things, becomes hard to break sometimes, or what we call habitual sins. I do not think you'd be tempted more in the sense of a higher power. The bible tells us that that no man is tempted but by the desires of his own heart. Pray and you will overcome .
It would be a blessing if they missed the cairns and got lost on the way back. Or if
the Thing on the ice got them tonight.

I could only turn and stare in horror at the chief surgeon.
Death by starvation is a terrible thing, Goodsir, continued Stanley.
And with that we went below to the flame-flickering Darkness of the lower deck
and to a cold almost the equal of the Dante-esque Ninth Circle Arctic Night
without.

//johnadavid.wordpress.com
Silvertusk
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Silvertusk »

Yeah it does seem like you are tempted more - but I think part of that is down to the fact that you are more aware of what is wrong and not of God. I certainly feel worst than what I used to when I sin now - but this is better than being ignorant of my sin - which would slowly destroy me if I was.

Pray for strength. I do. It can be hard sometimes -but forgiveness is always at hand - Thank God .... literally.

God Bless

Silvertusk
mum1983
Familiar Member

Post by mum1983 »

neo-x wrote: I do not think you'd be tempted more in the sense of a higher power. The bible tells us that that no man is tempted but by the desires of his own heart. Pray and you will overcome .
Yes, that's what concerned me at first. One of my church leaders seems to have (IMO) some warped opinions (which other church leaders don't agree with, I might add) about "The Enemy" putting more obstacles in your way after you become baptised. That frightened me when I first heard it, because it conjured up supernatural forces making things impossible to resist, or "The Enemy" messing with my mind but I can't believe that. I believe temptations will be the same as they've always been, it's just that you're more aware of them and know how you should behave towards them.
neo-x
Ultimate Member

Post by neo-x »

by mum1983 » Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:56 pm

neo-x wrote:
I do not think you'd be tempted more in the sense of a higher power. The bible tells us that that no man is tempted but by the desires of his own heart. Pray and you will overcome .

Yes, that's what concerned me at first. One of my church leaders seems to have (IMO) some warped opinions (which other church leaders don't agree with, I might add) about "The Enemy" putting more obstacles in your way after you become baptised. That frightened me when I first heard it, because it conjured up supernatural forces making things impossible to resist, or "The Enemy" messing with my mind but I can't believe that. I believe temptations will be the same as they've always been, it's just that you're more aware of them and know how you should behave towards them.
I have seen such claims, but in my opinion this is far from the truth. yes the enemy may tempt, but nothing that you cannot handle. No ones gonna make you do something if that is what they mean. Sanctification is a long process, sometimes it takes years, certainly took me. So no worries, I think God knows us better than ourselves and I don't think he'll just leave us in the middle.
It would be a blessing if they missed the cairns and got lost on the way back. Or if
the Thing on the ice got them tonight.

I could only turn and stare in horror at the chief surgeon.
Death by starvation is a terrible thing, Goodsir, continued Stanley.
And with that we went below to the flame-flickering Darkness of the lower deck
and to a cold almost the equal of the Dante-esque Ninth Circle Arctic Night
without.

//johnadavid.wordpress.com
mum1983
Familiar Member

Post by mum1983 »

neo-x wrote:
I have seen such claims, but in my opinion this is far from the truth. yes the enemy may tempt, but nothing that you cannot handle. No ones gonna make you do something if that is what they mean. Sanctification is a long process, sometimes it takes years, certainly took me. So no worries, I think God knows us better than ourselves and I don't think he'll just leave us in the middle.
The church leader told me that because Jesus was immediately tempted by the devil after his baptism, we can expect the same. But Jesus was fulfilling a prophecy. And think of the worst temptations offered to Jesus who is the son of God--"Turn that rock into bread...throw yourself from the building and see if God will protect you, I offer you all the kingdoms of the world" etc. That's the best the devil could come up with. He didn't try to deliberately harm Jesus or interfere with his mind. I think some Christians give the devil too much power by attributing so much to him. They see "The Enemy's work" in everything, but the devil can't be everywhere at once like God can. Think of all the bad decisions people make every day, or all the temptations of the world at any one second. It's not "The Enemy" at work all the time, we can sometimes make our own hells for ourselves.
jlay
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by jlay »

The bible says, 'resist the devil and he will FLEE from you."

It may seem like you are tempted more, only because you are tuned in to a new reality. But this has nothing to do with water baptism. Water baptism is an act of response to what has already been done in your life. Not an act that makes you more saved.

Jesus' baptism is not our own. The baptism John performed was the baptism of repentence and it was for the people of Israel to prepare them to receive the Messiah. Jesus did not need to repent. Jesus did not need to be saved. Jesus baptism stands alone.

I agree with what you say about making too much. We have seen the enemy, and the enemy is us.
-“The Bible treated allegorically becomes putty in the hands of the exegete.” John Walvoord

"I'm not saying scientists don't overstate their results. They do. And it's understandable, too...If you spend years working toward a certain goal and make no progress, of course you are going to spin your results in a positive light." Ivellious
Widge
Recognized Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by Widge »

Yes the temptations to drift away from God are there
Silvertusk
Board Moderator

Post by Silvertusk »

jlay wrote:The bible says, 'resist the devil and he will FLEE from you."

It may seem like you are tempted more, only because you are tuned in to a new reality. But this has nothing to do with water baptism. Water baptism is an act of response to what has already been done in your life. Not an act that makes you more saved.

Jesus' baptism is not our own. The baptism John performed was the baptism of repentence and it was for the people of Israel to prepare them to receive the Messiah. Jesus did not need to repent. Jesus did not need to be saved. Jesus baptism stands alone.

I agree with what you say about making too much. We have seen the enemy, and the enemy is us.

I thought you weren't saved until you were baptised? :ewink:
CeT-To

Post by CeT-To »

Silvertusk wrote:
jlay wrote:The bible says, 'resist the devil and he will FLEE from you."

I thought you weren't saved until you were baptised? :ewink:
Until baptised by the HS that is :P
But joy and happiness in you to all who seek you! Let them ceaselessly cry,"Great is Yahweh" who love your saving power. Psalm 40:16

I Praise you Yahweh, my Lord, my God!!!!!
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

Until baptised by the HS that is
:amen:
Why can't everyone see the simple truth in this?

Silvertusk, shame on you, you instigator!!!! :lol:
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Silvertusk
Board Moderator

Post by Silvertusk »

RickD wrote:
Until baptised by the HS that is
:amen:
Why can't everyone see the simple truth in this?

Silvertusk, shame on you, you instigator!!!! :lol:

:twisted: :twisted: