Validity and Biblical Justification for the Pontiff?

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
Anonymous

Validity and Biblical Justification for the Pontiff?

Post by Anonymous »

This has been a yearning question for me.

What exactly is the Biblical justification for the Pope? I've heard, just about from all sources, that it is from Matthew 16 that the Pope is ordained by Jesus. My opinions on this passage are mixed, for I do not know ancient Hebrew and cannot accurately translate exactly what was said to Peter. It is my hope that perhaps one of you can.

However, I would like to know some opinions on this issue. I prefer to keep my faith anonymous at this point in time as to avoid any kind of bias in anyone's answers.

Thanks for your time and thought.
Veronica
Recognized Member
Christian: No

Post by Veronica »

This is the best I can do for you now, but I'll do a little more searching and see what I can find. :)

http://catholiceducation.org/articles/r ... e0079.html

May the Lord Bless you and Keep you!
Veronica
Mastermind
Esteemed Senior Member

Re: Validity and Biblical Justification for the Pontiff?

Post by Mastermind »

Javaxcx wrote:This has been a yearning question for me.

What exactly is the Biblical justification for the Pope? I've heard, just about from all sources, that it is from Matthew 16 that the Pope is ordained by Jesus. My opinions on this passage are mixed, for I do not know ancient Hebrew and cannot accurately translate exactly what was said to Peter. It is my hope that perhaps one of you can.

However, I would like to know some opinions on this issue. I prefer to keep my faith anonymous at this point in time as to avoid any kind of bias in anyone's answers.

Thanks for your time and thought.
It doesn't matter if you know Hebrew or not because the NT is in Greek.
Are you threatening me Master Skeptic?