Hell and an Agnostic Atheist

Discussion about scientific issues as they relate to God and Christianity including archaeology, origins of life, the universe, intelligent design, evolution, etc.
DannyM
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: Hell and an Agnostic Atheist

Post by DannyM »

neo-x wrote:
DannyM on Sat Nov 19, 2011 4:37 pm

neo-x wrote:
It baffles me when someone says "I decide what goodness is"

Yep, there's that standard ...
It's like, I decide who my father is.... :swhat: ..... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
:lol: :lol:
credo ut intelligam

dei gratia
narnia4
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by narnia4 »

neo-x wrote:
DannyM on Sat Nov 19, 2011 4:37 pm

neo-x wrote:
It baffles me when someone says "I decide what goodness is"

Yep, there's that standard ...
It's like, I decide who my father is.... :swhat: ..... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Very apt comparison. You cannot derive an ought from an is, you cannot get objective morality from a collection of random particles. If anyone said that a computer was good or evil for its actions or a plant or the sun for rising and falling, he'd be ridiculed. And yet assuming atheism, we're no more or less than any collection of atoms whether it be a plant or a computer or anything. Of course the problem is that the existence of moral laws seems basic and obvious. Its a problem for the atheist for sure, I'm glad I'm not one.
Young, Restless, Reformed
1over137
Technical Admin
Sex: Female

Post by 1over137 »

KenV wrote: Right... but how what reason would I have for adopting an ideology that doesn't make sense to me subjectively? There is no logical reason to adopt a believe when it doesn't make sense to you. My train of thought could certainly be wrong, but there are plenty of faiths out there that would land me in hot water with other faiths depending on the faith. Simply put, for someone to adopt something it has to make sense to them, if it doesn't make sense to them it is asinine for them to adopt it.
You may be interested in reading this:
http://www.gotquestions.org/correct-religion.html
But examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
-- 1 Thessalonians 5:21

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.
-- Philippians 1:6

#foreverinmyheart
Reactionary

Post by Reactionary »

DannyM wrote:
neo-x wrote:Prove, how I am wrong, without smuggling in objective morality, Ken.
:) He can't
It may be just a hunch, but I kinda believe that we won't be hearing from KenV on this board anymore (I'd like to be wrong though)... But I mean, he hasn't logged in for nearly 48 hours. y:-?

Is 18 posts a highscore for newcoming atheists around here? :mrgreen:
"Do not give dogs what is sacred; do not throw your pearls to pigs. If you do, they may trample them under their feet, and then turn and tear you to pieces." Matthew 7:6

"For his invisible attributes, namely, his eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly perceived, ever since the creation of the world, in the things that have been made. So they are without excuse." Romans 1:20

--Reactionary
DannyM
Ultimate Member

Post by DannyM »

Reactionary wrote:
DannyM wrote:
neo-x wrote:Prove, how I am wrong, without smuggling in objective morality, Ken.
It may be just a hunch, but I kinda believe that we won't be hearing from KenV on this board anymore (I'd like to be wrong though)... But I mean, he hasn't logged in for nearly 48 hours. y:-?

I've seen higher ... but off the top of my head i can only count them on one hand ;)

Fair play to Ken, he remained calm and level-headed overall, which is to be commended. And of course, he could be back for some more knowledge from the Brothers :)
credo ut intelligam

dei gratia
DannyM
Ultimate Member

Post by DannyM »

narnia4 wrote:Very apt comparison. You cannot derive an ought from an is, you cannot get objective morality from a collection of random particles. If anyone said that a computer was good or evil for its actions or a plant or the sun for rising and falling, he'd be ridiculed. And yet assuming atheism, we're no more or less than any collection of atoms whether it be a plant or a computer or anything. Of course the problem is that the existence of moral laws seems basic and obvious. Its a problem for the atheist for sure, I'm glad I'm not one.
I know, the whole argument is counter-intuitive, so it must be difficult even for them to fathom the position they’re arguing for.
credo ut intelligam

dei gratia
Reactionary

Post by Reactionary »

DannyM wrote:
Reactionary wrote:t may be just a hunch, but I kinda believe that we won't be hearing from KenV on this board anymore (I'd like to be wrong though)... But I mean, he hasn't logged in for nearly 48 hours. y:-?

I've seen higher ... but off the top of my head i can only count them on one hand ;)

Fair play to Ken, he remained calm and level-headed overall, which is to be commended. And of course, he could be back for some more knowledge from the Brothers :)
Of course. I hope these discussions at least made him rethink his beliefs. y[-o<
"Do not give dogs what is sacred; do not throw your pearls to pigs. If you do, they may trample them under their feet, and then turn and tear you to pieces." Matthew 7:6

"For his invisible attributes, namely, his eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly perceived, ever since the creation of the world, in the things that have been made. So they are without excuse." Romans 1:20

--Reactionary
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

KenV is welcome back...
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys
neo-x
Ultimate Member

Post by neo-x »

of course he is, we dont want anyone to leave, especially if he is trying to learn more. I hope he comes back and answer the questions posted to him.
It would be a blessing if they missed the cairns and got lost on the way back. Or if
the Thing on the ice got them tonight.

I could only turn and stare in horror at the chief surgeon.
Death by starvation is a terrible thing, Goodsir, continued Stanley.
And with that we went below to the flame-flickering Darkness of the lower deck
and to a cold almost the equal of the Dante-esque Ninth Circle Arctic Night
without.

//johnadavid.wordpress.com
Murray
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Murray »

I think kristoffer has the highest post count for an athiest / agnostic
in nomine patri et fili spiritu sancte
DannyM
Ultimate Member

Post by DannyM »

Murray wrote:I think kristoffer has the highest post count for an athiest / agnostic
Yeah, but he was a bit of a circus, wasn't he? :lol:
credo ut intelligam

dei gratia
Canuckster1127
Old School
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Canuckster1127 »

Highest post count for an atheist would be BGoodForGoodSake at 2059 I think. He was more active in the past. I see he checked in 2 days ago though.
Dogmatism is the comfortable intellectual framework of self-righteousness. Self-righteousness is more decadent than the worst sexual sin. ~ Dan Allender
Murray
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Murray »

oh wow, I didn't think any atheist got to the ultimate member section.

And why are there so many 0 and 1 post accounts? there's like 3 pages of them
in nomine patri et fili spiritu sancte
Canuckster1127
Old School
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Canuckster1127 »

There's a lot of bots and spammers that come by and create accounts that never post. Some atheists come by and hit and run leaving an insult or attack and we don't approve their comments. Atheists and other faiths are able to post and converse here as long as they operate in the scope of our Board Purpose and Discussion Guidelines.
Dogmatism is the comfortable intellectual framework of self-righteousness. Self-righteousness is more decadent than the worst sexual sin. ~ Dan Allender
StMonicaGuideMe
Valued Member

Post by StMonicaGuideMe »

Reactionary wrote:
DannyM wrote:

Awww, Reactionary, you know how much I like you, but let's be fair to him. He did remain very respectful and was coming here for answers. We need to pray for souls like his -- he's searching and the devil will be pulling at him more and more now that he's found us.

Edit: and I have no idea why my edit was a totally new post O.o sorry about that (as you'll see on the next page)
Last edited by StMonicaGuideMe on Sun Nov 20, 2011 9:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
To sustain the belief that there is no God, atheism has to demonstrate infinite knowledge, which is tantamount to saying, “I have infinite knowledge that there is no being in existence with infinite knowledge".