Planet that can hold life found and confirmed

Discussion about scientific issues as they relate to God and Christianity including archaeology, origins of life, the universe, intelligent design, evolution, etc.
Silvertusk
Board Moderator
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided

Re: Planet that can hold life found and confirmed

Post by Silvertusk »

Here is another article.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-16040655

Please note the line
However, the team does not yet know if Kepler 22-b is made mostly of rock, gas or liquid.
Being in the habital zone is only one of the many requirements for the advancement of intelligent life. I believe there is life elsewhere in the universe - but intelligent life is another matter. Hell - I don't think there is much intelligent life on our own planet - we turned away from God for starters!!!!
Gman
Old School
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by Gman »

Hey everybody we found some kind planet that is approximately in the same habitable zone as earth.. Therefore life can be sustained on other planets... 8-}2

This is about the stupidest thing I've heard yet... So what?? Now someone explain to me how you are going to get life from inorganic matter? Scientists don't even know...

And even if it were true, how does it disprove God??
The heart cannot rejoice in what the mind rejects as false - Galileo

We learn from history that we do not learn from history - Georg Friedrich Wilhelm Hegel

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things. -Philippians 4:8
narnia4

Post by narnia4 »

Silvertusk wrote:It does pose a problem for Christianity - unless of course they also have a revelation of Christ and are saved by him - Was Jesus crucified on all planets? Discovery of alien intelligent life would be a body blow for our faith unless this is the case. And about them not falling - that is impossible when you have beings of freewill.

But on another note - how can they know that there is water on there? - how can they possibly discover if there is life on there? We would never be able to reach the planet to discover if this is the case.

Silvertusk.
Well maybe alien life could be another form of animal life. Even with a very optimistic reading of what was written, it isn't close to discovering a creature, a plant... the only thing it says is that it is in the zone of a system that "could" allow for water.
Young, Restless, Reformed
Reactionary

Post by Reactionary »

StMonicaGuideMe wrote:The key phrase: "potentially habitable alien world, ". There are a lot of "if's" in this article. Doesn't seem very conclusive to me, simply speculative.
Gman wrote:Hey everybody we found some kind planet that is approximately in the same habitable zone as earth.. Therefore life can be sustained on other planets... 8-}2

This is about the stupidest thing I've heard yet... So what?? Now someone explain to me how you are going to get life from inorganic matter? Scientists don't even know...

And even if it were true, how does it disprove God??
I agree with the points... I'll just add that, if the most sophisticated technology we possess these days can't create life, how reasonable is it to believe that it can give rise to itself? As far as I know, laboratories provide the best life-sustaining conditions, yet (still) no results...
"Do not give dogs what is sacred; do not throw your pearls to pigs. If you do, they may trample them under their feet, and then turn and tear you to pieces." Matthew 7:6

"For his invisible attributes, namely, his eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly perceived, ever since the creation of the world, in the things that have been made. So they are without excuse." Romans 1:20

--Reactionary
jlay
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by jlay »

600 light-years
I am amazed at how much skepticism people will lend toward the Bible. Yet some guy in a lab coat looks through a telescope and wallah, 600 light years away a planet that can hold life and is 'earth like.' And people lap it up. They post an 'artist's depiction' and people think they are looking at reality. The reality is we know nothing. They even say, "the team does not yet know if Kepler 22-b is made mostly of rock, gas or liquid." Yet it is earth like? Get over it. If people looked at knee jerk reports like this with the skeptism they do the Bible, they'd have these scientists run out of town on a rail.

And please don't correct me on the telescope. I understand this is a space bound device.
-“The Bible treated allegorically becomes putty in the hands of the exegete.” John Walvoord

"I'm not saying scientists don't overstate their results. They do. And it's understandable, too...If you spend years working toward a certain goal and make no progress, of course you are going to spin your results in a positive light." Ivellious
Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

Reactionary wrote:I agree with the points... I'll just add that, if the most sophisticated technology we possess these days can't create life, how reasonable is it to believe that it can give rise to itself? As far as I know, laboratories provide the best life-sustaining conditions, yet (still) no results...
That, in and of itself, doesn't mean much really. Just because scientists are finding it difficult now to replicate the process doesn't mean the process cannot be replicated. They may be missing some crucial ingredient(s) that, when discovered, everybody will be slapping their foreheads as to how simple it is and how they could have missed it all these years.

But even at that, what would it mean if science were able to replicate life from non-life? It would mean nothing more than discovering the method by which God had done so thousands or millions of years ago. So what?
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.
cubeus19
Established Member

Post by cubeus19 »

If I could have a penny for every single secular knee jerk reaction headline I have seen, whether it be for life on another planet, a new missing link, creating life in the lab, and so on, I would have enough money not only to be rich, but pay off the national debt!
SnowDrops
Established Member
Christian: No

Post by SnowDrops »

Well, if this is taken as an argument against theism it would mean scientists proved intelligent life evolved on another planet (which somehow refutes theism??? y:-/ y#-o )... Well, then they're doing better with that planet than this one, 'cause I don't think they proved it for this planet yet! :roll:
The first step to learning is to admit that you don't know.
ROBE
Familiar Member

Post by ROBE »

We know from the Bible there is life out there they are called Angels or Demons.
During the 6 days or periods we don't know what else God might have been doing or what he did before.
StMonicaGuideMe
Valued Member

Post by StMonicaGuideMe »

Hey, can we also note that the image you see of the planet today is made of light that has taken 600 years to reach us...if anything happened to the planet during those 600 years, we wouldn't know. The planet may not even exist anymore as we speak about it.
To sustain the belief that there is no God, atheism has to demonstrate infinite knowledge, which is tantamount to saying, “I have infinite knowledge that there is no being in existence with infinite knowledge".
Kenzel
Recognized Member
Sex: Female

Post by Kenzel »

Silvertusk wrote:It does pose a problem for Christianity - unless of course they also have a revelation of Christ and are saved by him - Was Jesus crucified on all planets? Discovery of alien intelligent life would be a body blow for our faith unless this is the case. And about them not falling - that is impossible when you have beings of freewill.
Silvertusk.
Well, as far as we know, angels don't seem to have a redemption plan, so I don't see why other beings would need to have one too.
DRDS

Post by DRDS »

Here Jackbop and everyone else, go here...

http://www.reasons.org/resources/radio- ... dcasts/snf

RTB just did a podcast on this and to me, it was very hellpful and I believe Jackbop, it will make you feel better. Go to the first podcast at the very top. Take care.
SnowDrops
Established Member
Christian: No

Post by SnowDrops »

Venus and Mars are also technically in the "habitable zone". Vacation on Venus anyone?
The first step to learning is to admit that you don't know.
neo-x
Ultimate Member

Post by neo-x »

StMonicaGuideMe on Wed Dec 07, 2011 3:52 am

Hey, can we also note that the image you see of the planet today is made of light that has taken 600 years to reach us...if anything happened to the planet during those 600 years, we wouldn't know. The planet may not even exist anymore as we speak about it.
true indeed
It would be a blessing if they missed the cairns and got lost on the way back. Or if
the Thing on the ice got them tonight.

I could only turn and stare in horror at the chief surgeon.
Death by starvation is a terrible thing, Goodsir, continued Stanley.
And with that we went below to the flame-flickering Darkness of the lower deck
and to a cold almost the equal of the Dante-esque Ninth Circle Arctic Night
without.

//johnadavid.wordpress.com
Silvertusk
Board Moderator

Post by Silvertusk »

DRDS wrote:Here Jackbop and everyone else, go here...

http://www.reasons.org/resources/radio- ... dcasts/snf

RTB just did a podcast on this and to me, it was very hellpful and I believe Jackbop, it will make you feel better. Go to the first podcast at the very top. Take care.
You can always rely on good old Hugh Ross and Co. to put things in persepective.