Morality as a Heresy in light of Science and Faith

Discussion for Christian perspectives on ethical issues such as abortion, euthanasia, sexuality, and so forth.
Canuckster1127
Old School
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Re: Morality as a Heresy in light of Science and Faith

Post by Canuckster1127 »

Appreciate the book referral. A glance at the summaries and reviews would seem to indicate that it is an excellent book.

I recognize the ties to EO and some of the EC movement. I noted as well the ties in some limited regards to The Shack and Rob Bell's recent work too.

I'm not sure I'd put Rob Bell as a brilliant cutting edge theologian, and I'm saying that as someone who appreciates a lot (not all) of what he has to say. I see him more as a populist writer who is very good at asking the questions that many post-moderns are asking and conveying things in that community that most modernist traditionals are woefully ineffective at. I'm not all that sure that Rob would own the title of being a part of the EC either (Emergent Church) but then again, it's not so much a formal movement as it is a general term that covers a lot of ground.

Regardless of the finer points, which are important, I think this man in some areas, "gets it" when he notes that it's a form of legalism and heresy when one focuses upon moral and ethical codes apart from the transformation of one's heart by the Holy Spirit. He nails that and I appreciate that in anyone whether they look and think like me or not.
Dogmatism is the comfortable intellectual framework of self-righteousness. Self-righteousness is more decadent than the worst sexual sin. ~ Dan Allender