Christianity copied from other religions?

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
voicingmaster
Established Member

Christianity copied from other religions?

Post by voicingmaster »

Just so you know where I'm coming from, I am a Christian, for those that don't already know. I recently saw this argument against Christianity and don't know what to make of it.

Christianity and Hinduism are almost parallel. Well, to be more accurate, Jesus and the Hindu god, Krishna seem parallel. They both had virgin birth, sinless life, crucifixion, descent into Hell, resurrection, ascension to heaven, criteria for salvation, and were part of some sort of Trinity. Obviously the argument states that the Apostles copied from Hinduism to make a religion.

Can someone please give me an explanation as to why and how these two belief system are so close together or a counter to the argument? And if you really don't know which "story" came first, Krishna did his thing 14 centuries before Jesus did (according to the Hindu belief of Krishna).
Mastermind
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Mastermind »

Whatever you read is definitely a load of crap. Krishna died of a stray arrow from a hunter from what I remember. I don't even think they had crucifixion back then...
Are you threatening me Master Skeptic?
voicingmaster
Established Member

Post by voicingmaster »

It was on religioustolerance.com
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

The only position that site advocates is religious pluralism. As far as they go, if one doesn't accept their pluralist position by considering all religions on par, no religion being more truer than the other, then I guess that would make us intolerant since we don't bow to the truth claims of their own position? ;)

Kurieuo.
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
voicingmaster
Established Member

Post by voicingmaster »

Oh, I didn't know that it was pluralistic, I thought it was just a site that provides biasless information on the religions. (then again, I haven't explored the site that thoroughly to know that). And heh, yeah I guess that makes us intolerant by not accpeting them.

And IMO, pluralism is a joke.
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

Whether they do or don't come out and say so directly, if you read enough it should become clear that their writings are clearly saturated with a relative philosophy. At least I picked it up evidentally enough.

Kurieuo.
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
AttentionKMartShoppers
Ultimate Member

Post by AttentionKMartShoppers »

Christianity and Hinduism are almost parallel. Well, to be more accurate, Jesus and the Hindu god, Krishna seem parallel
Hinduism has no basis of right and wrong. There is no moral difference between cruelty and non-cruelty (as Francis Schaeffer puts it). There is such a thing in Christianity.
"My actions prove that God takes care of idiots."

He occasionally stumbled over the truth, but hastily picked himself up and hurried on as if nothing had happened.
- On Stanley Baldwin

-Winston Churchill

An atheist can't find God for the same reason a criminal can't find a police officer.

You need to start asking out girls so that you can get used to the rejections.
-Anonymous