A 125 GeV Higgs?

Discussion about scientific issues as they relate to God and Christianity including archaeology, origins of life, the universe, intelligent design, evolution, etc.
1over137
Technical Admin
Christian: Yes
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

A 125 GeV Higgs?

Post by 1over137 »

But examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
-- 1 Thessalonians 5:21

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.
-- Philippians 1:6

#foreverinmyheart
Reactionary
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: A 125 GeV Higgs?

Post by Reactionary »

1over137 wrote:http://blog.vixra.org/2011/12/02/higgs- ... o-125-gev/

Very exciting times!
No offense, Hana, but I didn't understand a thing. :oops:
"Do not give dogs what is sacred; do not throw your pearls to pigs. If you do, they may trample them under their feet, and then turn and tear you to pieces." Matthew 7:6

"For his invisible attributes, namely, his eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly perceived, ever since the creation of the world, in the things that have been made. So they are without excuse." Romans 1:20

--Reactionary
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

1over137 wrote:http://blog.vixra.org/2011/12/02/higgs- ... o-125-gev/

Very exciting times!
Wow! If this is for real, It's nothing short of amazing!!!!!

Actually, I have no idea what it means, either. :lol:
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
jlay
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by jlay »

Yes!!!!!!!!

8-}2
What the bleep is that all about?
-“The Bible treated allegorically becomes putty in the hands of the exegete.” John Walvoord

"I'm not saying scientists don't overstate their results. They do. And it's understandable, too...If you spend years working toward a certain goal and make no progress, of course you are going to spin your results in a positive light." Ivellious
Proinsias
Advanced Senior Member
Christian: No
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Post by Proinsias »

It means things are going to get interesting and, as usual, the current explanation is not so much an answer as it is loads more questions.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Proinsias wrote:It means things are going to get interesting and, as usual, the current explanation is not so much an answer as it is loads more questions.
Concerning what? Please explain in dummy terms, so I can understand.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Proinsias
Advanced Senior Member
Christian: No
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Post by Proinsias »

Rick, I know very little about physics, biology is my love. The article seems to suggest that the current theories will do quite nicely as long as the Higgs were about 140GeV, they weren't. Time for a new theory.

The outcome predicted was not the one observed, the deviation is more than current theories can account for. Time for a new, demonstrable, theory.
narnia4

Post by narnia4 »

Ok I'm not knowledgeable with physics either. From what I can gather the Higgs boson has been described as the "God particle" in the media (although the wikipedia article on it states that scientists don't like that term because it overstates the importance of the particle)... I've heard a bit about it before. Apparently its a hypothetical particle that needs to exist for the standard model of particle physics to work, but it hasn't been discovered. Now I've read a few articles recently (and referenced on wikipedia) that indicate that the Higgs boson could "possibly" be considered "discoverable"... kind of a funny word choice, possibly discoverable.

So I'm afraid I'm not sure what the consequences of the article in the OP are or might be. But from what I gather there's been what you would kind of expect, controversies over what models work and what don't and what's the best system to use.

Gotquestions article-

http://www.gotquestions.org/God-particle.html

Wikipedia article-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Higgs_boson#cite_note-1

So from my post you can clearly see I'm not the most knowledgeable person on the subject, but I don't see any theological implications one way or the other on this one.
Young, Restless, Reformed
La Volpe
Familiar Member
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by La Volpe »

Cern is now convinced they WILL discover it.
People will believe anything if you whisper it.
1over137
Technical Admin

Post by 1over137 »

There is also another thing which the Higgs boson particle takes care of in the Standard Model (the current theory). The so-called Higgs mechanism (mechanism giving mass to particles) renders the Standard Model renormalizable. If a quantum field theory is non-renormalizable, then it gives infite results, a nonsense. But thanks to the Higss boson the standar Model is renormalizable.

Standard Model cannot be the ultimite theory, since it e.g. does not include gravitation. We know for sure that it breaks down at the Planck scale (10^19 GeV) because there the gravitation is so strong that it cannot be neglected. But the Standard Model can break down even at lower scale when the mass of the Higgs boson is below 130 GeV. At which scale it
breaks down, strongly depends on the mass of the Higgs boson (also on the mass of the top quark).

Supersymmetry predicts the mass of the Higgs boson to be below 135 GeV. Well, more precisely, there are two Higgs bosons in supersymmetry giving mass to other particles. And the lighter one of the two is predicted to have mass below 135 GeV. What further Standard Model lacks and supersymmetry explains is the dark matter. Supersymmetry offers a new particle - dark matter candidate, most probably a neutralino.

Well, many people would wonder if the supersymmetry is not realized in nature. It seems that God likes symmetries and one would wonder why He would not used supersymmetry. This reminds me of Albert Einstein - he wondered: “What I am really interested in knowing is whether God could have created the world in a different way."

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.

#foreverinmyheart
1over137
Technical Admin

Post by 1over137 »

http://blog.vixra.org/2011/12/13/the-hi ... from-cern/

Conclusion:
"The result is very convincing if you start from the assumption that there should be a Higgs Boson somewhere in the range. Everywhere is ruled out except 115 GeV to 130 GeV and within that window there is a signal with the right strength at around 125 GeV with 3 sigma significance. They will have to wait for that to reach 5 sigma to claim discovery and next years data should be enough to get there or almost."

#foreverinmyheart