Brian Greene and religion

Discussion about scientific issues as they relate to God and Christianity including archaeology, origins of life, the universe, intelligent design, evolution, etc.
1over137
Technical Admin
Christian: Yes
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Brian Greene and religion

Post by 1over137 »

Here is an interview with Brian Greene (string theorist) on religion:
http://viciousmomma.blogspot.com/2007/1 ... igion.html

Any comments?
But examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
-- 1 Thessalonians 5:21

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.
-- Philippians 1:6

#foreverinmyheart
wrain62
Valued Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Re: Brian Greene and religion

Post by wrain62 »

The ideas like religion is not the root of evil (in fact it is the root of science) was nice. But something in his underlying dogma makes me uncomfortable...

"The answer is, and it's so simple, respect for others' rights. Sure, you can think that you are right and everyone else is wrong. But when it comes to actions, we do not have unlimited freedom to trample all over everyone else's beliefs. You can tell people they are wrong, but you can't enforce or impose your own beliefs on them. You just have to agree to disagree. If everyone could do that there would be more peace. "

It always scares me that he is respecting religion and making claims like this that are "supposed" to be true for all religion at the same time. Makes me think he is wanting to limit it to a corner with defined boundaries. Luckily Jesus talked about a better version of this in his teaching of the second most important commandment. It also scares me that in this politacally correct society it is morally bad to put the first commandment over the second. For example, well, I don´t know. There is something wierd about it all...
Romans 12:17 Do not repay anyone evil for evil. Be careful to do what is right in the eyes of everybody.