Original Sin, and babies who die

General discussions about Christianity including salvation, heaven and hell, Christian history and so on.
Christian2
Advanced Senior Member

Re: Original Sin, and babies who die

Post by Christian2 »

PaulSacramento wrote:When we die, at ANY stage, our spirit returns to God.
That is no different from children of infants of course.
There is only ONE hat decides who is saved and that is Our Judge.
No human can make that call, no "point-of view" can speak for Him.
God decides through Christ.
When a baby dies, it's spirit returns from where it came.
Since God knows what each of will choose, do you think it possible that God will judge babies on what He knows they will do later in life?

I'm having trouble with that thought.
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by PaulSacramento »

Christian2 wrote:
PaulSacramento wrote:When we die, at ANY stage, our spirit returns to God.
That is no different from children of infants of course.
There is only ONE hat decides who is saved and that is Our Judge.
No human can make that call, no "point-of view" can speak for Him.
God decides through Christ.
When a baby dies, it's spirit returns from where it came.
Since God knows what each of will choose, do you think it possible that God will judge babies on what He knows they will do later in life?

I'm having trouble with that thought.
We have free will, God knows all possible outcomes of our decisions since he sees ALL ( there are a few different views on how God does this).
God has no hand in a child's death.
inlovewiththe44
Recognized Member
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by inlovewiththe44 »

Also, God knows what will happen to us. That's not to say he observes the infinite possibilities of what could be. In C.S. Lewis's "Problem of Pain", he says that there are some things that he believes are inherently impossible. I think God judging someone on what might have happened doesn't inherently make any sense. He sees what we will do because He is outside time, but not infinite amounts of lifetimes for each person. If a baby dies before they have the choice to follow Him, he sees them die, not what he/she would've done if they hadn't died. That's just speculation, though, based on what I read in PofP.
Dr Shoe
Newbie Member

Post by Dr Shoe »

"Surely I was sinful at birth, sinful from the time my mother conceived me." - Psalm 51:5 NIV

David could be using hyperbole but I don't think so. One serious problem with believing babies are innocent is that the reality is not only that they frequently die but that that they often suffer in horrible ways short of death. If they are innocent, a just God could not allow harm to them could he? No, Adam sinned and has the head of our race we all became sinners. Consider that Jesus had no human father and so did not have Adam as the head of his family so he did not inherit this sinful nature. We did.

I think the case can be made that covenant children go to heaven, those with a Christian parent and before some level of maturity. I don't know specifically what age or maturity level that would be. The way David talks about his lost child indicates that he believes the child went to Heaven, but that was a covenant child. As far as non-covenant children, I don't think we know. He could save all of them but the Bible doesn't difinitively say so. If he did, I might not rail against abortion so harshly.
Bill McEnaney
Recognized Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Bill McEnaney »

This (http://www.catholic.com/tracts/early-te ... nt-baptism) quotes what some ancient Christians write about infant baptism because they believe infants need baptism. I agree with them. For me, the quotations support the Catholic Church's teachings about Limbo, too.

I don't write "Roman Catholic Church," by the way, because some parts of the Catholic Church are Eastern, not Roman. There are Ukrainian Catholics who attend their own kind of Divine Liturgy, Maronite Catholics go to Maronite Divine Divine Liturgies, and other kinds of Catholic attend other kinds of liturgy. In the Roman part of the Catholic Church, Catholics go to the Masses that many of you probably have been to. Roman Catholics, Ukrainian Catholics, Maronite Catholics, and so forth are members of the Catholic Church. But Roman rituals are much different from non-Romans ones. The Roman, Ukrainian, Maronite, and other parts of the Catholic Church are not different denominations.
goldmoor
Familiar Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by goldmoor »

well i don't think baptism has anything to do with going to heaven but it is a outward expression of faith so it does matter if a baby is baptize or not
for God has not given us a spirit of fear,but power and of love and of a sound mind 2timonthy1:7

he has given us power to overcome any obstacle,love to endured any and all hardship and a sound mind to solve any problem and have peace inside and out so truly what is it that we should fear
Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

Bill McEnaney wrote:This (http://www.catholic.com/tracts/early-te ... nt-baptism) quotes what some ancient Christians write about infant baptism because they believe infants need baptism. I agree with them. For me, the quotations support the Catholic Church's teachings about Limbo, too.

I don't write "Roman Catholic Church," by the way, because some parts of the Catholic Church are Eastern, not Roman. There are Ukrainian Catholics who attend their own kind of Divine Liturgy, Maronite Catholics go to Maronite Divine Divine Liturgies, and other kinds of Catholic attend other kinds of liturgy. In the Roman part of the Catholic Church, Catholics go to the Masses that many of you probably have been to. Roman Catholics, Ukrainian Catholics, Maronite Catholics, and so forth are members of the Catholic Church. But Roman rituals are much different from non-Romans ones. The Roman, Ukrainian, Maronite, and other parts of the Catholic Church are not different denominations.
:fyi: Limbo is not dogma.
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

Limbo is not dogma.
Byblos, maybe in 5 point Catholicism, or hyper-Catholicism, limbo is dogma. :mrgreen:
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member
Sex: It's Complicated
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Furstentum Liechtenstein »

RickD wrote:
Limbo is not dogma.
Byblos, maybe in 5 point Catholicism, or hyper-Catholicism, limbo is dogma. :mrgreen:
Limbo never has been dogma. On 20 April, 2007, a Vatican theological commission determined that Limbo never existed. Benedict XVI ''gave his benediction'' to the commission's findings. Perhaps belief in Limbo is a holdover from paganism, just as elements of Voodoo persist in Haitian Christian beliefs & rituals.

FL :eugeek:
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +