John Wesley's theology

General discussions about Christianity including salvation, heaven and hell, Christian history and so on.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: John Wesley's theology

Post by RickD »

Puritan Lad wrote:
At this point, I'm willing to let the readers decide if the question was ever directly answered. It has not been.
PL, In the first sentence, You said you're willing to let the readers decide. But in your second sentence, it seems you've already decided for them. :lol:
Kinda like how Calvinism wants to allow men to decide for themself, to accept Christ, but then, election has already decided for them. :pound:
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Canuckster1127
Old School
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Canuckster1127 »

puritan lad wrote:jlay,

You don't have to answer anything. That is your perogative. But calling it a "loaded" question is a copout, unless you can demonstrate how it is loaded.

I chose the Beast for a reason, since most people here still regard him as a future person (there are many other examples in Scripture). It is quite clear that this person is (or was) predestined to Hell. There is really no way around it, hence the silence concerning the question as well as the false charges that it is loaded.

I think I can safely say that, until this question is answered, it is "game, set, match".
It must be a great comfort to you to be able to unilaterally declare victory in this manner. Have you set a time and place for the victory party yet? ;) Will anyone other than the judge, jury and fan club all rolled up into you be invited too? y/:)
Dogmatism is the comfortable intellectual framework of self-righteousness. Self-righteousness is more decadent than the worst sexual sin. ~ Dan Allender
narnia4
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by narnia4 »

This has been a fascinating thread, thank you everyone. I have two concerns about something that has shown up in the criticisms of Calvinism here. I'm not accusing anyone of anything and don't believe that any one posters arguments can be reduced to ONLY one or both of these points, but I do believe that they've shown up in multiple points.

1. Emotionalism. Its a tough subject, that anyone should be damned. We all get that. But we can't simply make emotional appeals without any real basis. Any one of us can shout, "God can't do that!" at the top of our lungs. But is that really true? Who are we to judge God? Can we construct a logically (Scripture based) valid argument demonstrating that what God is doing goes against what has been revealed to us in Scripture or is it emotional appeals? I don't believe it has happened in this discussion, but we shouldn't pander to secularists to try to sugarcoat the gospel and change it to appeal to them. In their state that will not understand. How can they grasp the glory and majesty and justice and mercy of God when they have rejected him and are continually objecting him? We should care less what an atheist has to say about this topic, its casting pearls before swine. And as always they have the audacity to make moral judgments on the Creator when they have NO reason to believe that objective moral values exist at all. I believe the Calvinists here are honest people and are open to God's correction if he chose to reveal it through any poster here, if the points can be rejected with Scripture then have at it I say (I want to mention in particular that BW and others attempted to do this earlier in this thread).

2. Rejecting a system of theology simply because its a system of theology. As I mentioned, I have too much respect for each individual poster here (this is a great forum, it really is) to reduce their position to this, BUT... it is in vogue and has been for some time (you could relate it to postmodernism) to reject systems and traditional positions in favor of no structure whatsoever outside of a couple of basic tenets (and for some not even that). So no matter what Calvinism says it loses out before it even makes it case. As a presuppositionalist, the problem I have with this is that all worldviews are ultimately circular and we all have a worldview... so a "lack of belief in systems" is in and of itself a system of theology. You can't take one belief in a vacuum and stand it on its own. There are consequences and other facts involved here, "If...then. Like the skeptic who tries to throw out God and then steal everything else from the Christian worldview even though its nonsensical without God. The Calvinist isn't attempting to overthrow or replace or add to Scripture (an individual might, but I don't see that here), he's attempting to make sense of Christ's sacrifice and what God has revealed to us. The are "either/or" questions, you have to come down on one side or the other. And if you come down on one side, you have to follow the logical consequences of that. I don't believe its true of anyone here, but sometimes dismissing systematic theology is just intellectual laziness and a way to maintain cognitive dissonance and avoid making uncomfortable changes to your worldview.

And finally, I'd just like to add that all the pressure has been on the Calvinists here. I haven't really seen a similar attempt in this thread to defend another school of thought or try to present a complete, coherent view on the subject. Its been made clear that there aren't a lot of people here who are going to go out on a limb to argue for Arminianism. The Calvinists have their beliefs out in the limelight for any and all to critique, can anyone else come up with a coherent, consistent, Scriptural interpretation?
Young, Restless, Reformed
zoegirl
Old School
Sex: Female

Post by zoegirl »

:clap: to Narnia... :-)

What I've never had a sufficiently satisfying answer to from anyone who says that we have completely free will and God does not instigate regeneration is this question-

So why pray for unbelievers? Seriously, if God cannot change a person's heart, then stop praying for them and their soul. God cannot change their heart. We can, evidently, by convincing them, but God can't. ??

And if there is ANY hint that He can, then you have just clouded the issue. Whether or not you support Calvinism or not, if you think that praying to God to change someone's heart, then you are saying that God interferes with free will. It's not simply that God convinces them, but that He changes their heart or opens their eyes. And that requires Him to take the first step in opening their eyes.

My main point is simply to again show that the issue is never as easy as we think. We may completely throw our hearts behind the free will, until we suddenly find ourselves using phrases like "opening their eyes", "changing hearts", "softening hearts", "calling to someone" ....

At what point does "calling" interfere with free will?

And yes, we are to witness to unbelievers because we are commanded to and because we are the mean with which God's grace is offered. (just anticipating a question :-)
"And we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Jesus Christ"
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

puritan lad wrote:...Can the Beast of Revelation be saved, or is he predestined to Hell?

Neo-x? Anybody?
Before I answer first please review Rick's quote below...
RickD wrote:
Predestination: Short answer. Events that occur transpire through the will of God.

Example: I soveriegnly create a scenario. There is a room with two doors, one red and one green. Everyone in the room can choose a door. The choice not to choose bears the same consequence as choosing the red door. Whoever enters the green door will experience the ultraphonic, supersonic, celestial sound machine. (USCSM) Those who do not will never hear it.
Therefore those who chose the green door are predestined to experience the USCSM. Those who choose the red door or make no choice are predestined to not hear.

Dr. Harry Ironside gave the illustration of the sinner coming to the door of salvation (John 10:9). Above the door was a sign which says, "Whosoever will, let him take the water of life freely" (Rev. 22:17). The sinner responds to this gracious invitation, trusts Christ and he is gloriously saved. He now turns around and looks at the door through which he had just entered. He sees above the door another sign which says, "Chosen...in Him before the foundation of the world" (Eph. 1:4). Both are true. Both are taught in the Bible. Both must be believed.
PL, I think I believe pretty much the same as jlay, as far as predestination.
Can the Beast of Revelation be saved, or is he predestined to Hell?

Simple Answer – God foreknew the result that his speaking word would have and can thus do as he so wills for his purposes. What purpose does the beast have -- drive the Jews to look upon the one whom they pierced and be saved...

Longer Answer…God can do with the beast as he so wills because God is Just to himself first and then demonstrated by allowing the beast’s sin/rejection still to be the beast’s own, found, not placed, so as to drive the Jewish people to Jesus as that is what it would take for God to keep his word to the Jewish people – be their God and they His people – thus one new man formed as Paul mentions…I digress-back to the point…

Now this beast, from whom does his power come from - God or devils? Rev 16:13-14 answers this and illustrates a complete rejection of the Lord by this beast. Thus, God bound the Beast to Hell because God already foreknew the result his speaking word would have on the beast: The beast’s rejection of God completely and so appointed his time, justly.

Does this make Calvinism interpretation of predestination correct –NO because it leaves out something altogether, JUSTICE.

Without the gospel in the world, without God speaking through dreams, various ways and warnings, without making Himself known by how creation shows His handiwork, we all would end up where the beast ends up.

God’s word/call/speaking thusly induces – thrust - choice upon humanity. Despite God foreknowing the final affect /result on a person that His call/word/speaking thusly has, he still lets the wicked live amongst the saints to make that choice for themselves. By inducing choice, God remains just to himself then demonstrated to those whom he created as morally reasoning beings also neither denying the life he gives for future progeny’s sake (that’s another topic for another time).

Now a question back to you – Was Satan’s sin placed or found in him?
-
-
-
PS - I'll answer your reponse on page 16 after a good nights sleep - Haven't forgotten...
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys
neo-x
Ultimate Member

Post by neo-x »

Emotionalism.
Zoe, Narnia. I would disagree with you...please show where is the emotionalism in this thread? Go back, there is a lot of scripture back in the pages which goes opposite the Calvinistic doctrine, (to some extent if not all) and which haven't been successfully interpreted into calvinism unless their natural meaning is rejected.

If I say "God can't do that", it is not because it is clashing with my emotions, rather my denial of the Calvinistic doctrine is based on scripture. Citing scripture is seriously not emotionalism. It would be wrong of you to presume and reject scripture based on the idea that whoever is against Calvinism is emotional. Sorry, that is a faulty and weak argument, at best.

Though I do agree that people get emotional, on all sides, but rendering scripture null with a "you're emotional" statement is wrong. You are dismissing the argument based on your assumption of the person's state rather then the argument it self, this would be a logical fallacy. If a killer says, "killing is wrong" does that make his statement false??? Killing would still be wrong. So evaluate the argument rather then the person's emotions. I have seen people in life and on forums, even here who are always right, they won't even accept that they are or could be wrong in any argument or debate. If I start rejecting their arguments based on their "never wrong" persona, would I be fairly treating them? perhaps yes, but I would not be fair to the arguments.

I agree that anyone cannot just overthrow a system of theology overnight which is around for 500 years and I AM CERTAINLY NOT HOPING TO DO IT EITHER. But a valid objection is a valid objection. Unless it is refuted, dismissing it on other grounds like, emotionalism, heresy or authority is wrong.
And finally, I'd just like to add that all the pressure has been on the Calvinists here. I haven't really seen a similar attempt in this thread to defend another school of thought or try to present a complete, coherent view on the subject. Its been made clear that there aren't a lot of people here who are going to go out on a limb to argue for Arminianism. The Calvinists have their beliefs out in the limelight for any and all to critique, can anyone else come up with a coherent, consistent, Scriptural interpretation?
And I don't think anyone is targeting Calvinists just because they are Calvinists, it is almost a healthy debate. As a matter of fact earlier the pressure was in reverse, then changed again. The thread started with Wesley and how it is opposite to Calvin's and from there on it has come here. No one is stopping anyone to make his case...didn't you read PL's Antichrist/beast questions? ;)

Finally, I have respect for all here, we are brothers in Christ and my love is not based on denominations, we are all one in Christ and we shouldn't let this debate affect our bond.
Last edited by neo-x on Fri Dec 23, 2011 1:59 am, edited 2 times in total.
It would be a blessing if they missed the cairns and got lost on the way back. Or if
the Thing on the ice got them tonight.

I could only turn and stare in horror at the chief surgeon.
Death by starvation is a terrible thing, Goodsir, continued Stanley.
And with that we went below to the flame-flickering Darkness of the lower deck
and to a cold almost the equal of the Dante-esque Ninth Circle Arctic Night
without.

//johnadavid.wordpress.com
neo-x
Ultimate Member

Post by neo-x »

At this point, I'm willing to let the readers decide if the question was ever directly answered. It has not been.
PL, did you read my response to your Antichrist question, you can use the same for the beast or you can respond to it. Also you never responded to my answer to your 1 John 2:2 rendition.

There is a difference in saying anyone can be saved, and everyone will be saved (since even without using Calvinism, I know that men reject the message of God thorgh their own will). I am not making a case for the latter, at which you are erroneously making objections. The problem is you are using effectual grace as the premise. when I say, Jesus died for all, your view essentially makes you see the definition of effectual grace and hence you say that all can't be saved, since if there is effectual grace, they will be saved at all costs. Making cliché' questions about anti-Christ won't make your case, as my argument never rejects predestination, only that predestination and salvation/damnation does not come hand in hand at all times. Anti-Christ, the beast, are very special cases, my argument is not against God's Sovereignty, but you have to remember that God's will is also not bounded by his Sovereignty. If he wills that each should come to the point of repentance. He means that.

As for
game, set, and match
Enjoy your victory. You have made the silver bullet to knock everything down which stands against Calvinism. I think you are first in history to do that. I don't think Calvin himself was able to accomplish such a feat. Congrats.

I was really hoping this was not about winning debates. y#-o
It would be a blessing if they missed the cairns and got lost on the way back. Or if

without.

1over137
Technical Admin

Post by 1over137 »

jlay wrote:Just a little of Calvin's own commentary. How Calvanists was Calvin?

On Isaiah 53:12--"I approve of the ordinary reading, that He alone bore the punishment of many, because on Him was laid the guilt of the whole world. It is evident from other passages, and especially from the fifth chapter of the Epistle to the Romans, that many sometimes denotes all."

On Mark 14:24 – "The word many does not mean a part of the world only, but the whole human race."

On Matthew 20:28–"‘Many’ is used, not for a definite number, but for a large number, in that He sets Himself over against all others. And this is its meaning also in Rom. 5:15, where Paul is not talking of a part of mankind but of the whole human race."

On John 1:29 – "And when he says the sin OF THE WORLD, He extends this favour indiscriminately to the whole human race....all men without exception are guilty of unrighteousness before God and need to be reconciled to Him....Now our duty is, to embrace the benefit which is offered to all, that each of us may be convinced that there is nothing to hinder him from obtaining reconciliation in Christ, provided that he comes to him by...faith."

On John 3:16 – "He has employed the universal term whosoever, both to invite all indiscriminately to partake of life, and to cut off every excuse from unbelievers....He shows Himself to be reconciled to the whole world, when He invites all men without exception to the faith of Christ."

On Romans 5:18 – "He makes this favor common to all, because it is propoundable to all, and not because it is in reality extended to all (i.e. in the experience); for though Christ suffered for the sins of the whole world, and is offered through God’s benignity indiscriminately to all, yet all do not receive Him."

On Galatians 5:12 – "It is the will of God that we should seek the salvation of all men without exception, as Christ suffered for the sins of the whole world."

On Colossians 1:15–"This redemption was procured by the blood of Christ, for by the sacrifice of His death all the sins of the world have been expiated."

On Hebrews 5:9–"He (the writer of Hebrews) has inserted the universal term ‘to all’ to show that no one is excluded from this salvation who proves to be attentive and obedient to the Gospel of Christ."
Here are some other commentaries:

On Ephesians 1:4 „According as he hath chosen us. The foundation and first cause, both of our calling and of all the benefits which we receive from God, is here declared to be his eternal election. If the reason is asked, why God has called us to enjoy the gospel, why he daily bestows upon us so many blessings, why he opens to us the gate of heaven, — the answer will be constantly found in this principle, that he hath chosen us before the foundation of the world. The very time when the election took place proves it to be free; for what could we have deserved, or what merit did we possess, before the world was made? How childish is the attempt to meet this argument by the following sophism! “We were chosen because we were worthy, and because God foresaw that we would be worthy.” We were all lost in Adam“

On Romans 9:15 „By this oracle the Lord declared that he is a debtor to none of mankind, and that whatever he gives is a gratuitous benefit, and then that his kindness is free, so that he can confer it on whom he pleases; and lastly, that no cause higher than his own will can be thought of, why he does good and shows favor to some men but not to all.“

On John 17:9 „ ... the prayers which we offer for all are still limited to the elect of God. We ought to pray that this man, and that man, and every man, may be saved, and thus include the whole human race, because we cannot yet distinguish the elect from the reprobate … Christ expressly declares that they who are given to him belong to the Father; and it is certain that they are given so as to believe, and that faith flows from this act of giving. If the origin of faith is this act of giving, and if election comes before it in order and time, what remains but that we acknowledge that those whom God wishes to be saved out of the world are elected by free grace? Now since Christ prays for the elect only, it is necessary for us to believe the doctrine of election, if we wish that he should plead with the Father for our salvation “

Hmmm, is Calvin consistent?
But examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
-- 1 Thessalonians 5:21

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.
-- Philippians 1:6

#foreverinmyheart
zoegirl
Old School

Post by zoegirl »

Neo-x, Specifically it was with Philips thread, which has been subsequently edited because of the sentiments expressed.

I'm saying that when we resort to emotions to judge God it's inappropriate, that's all.

lol, much of this would be very clear had you read the entire response.
"And we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Jesus Christ"
August
Old School

Post by August »

1over137 wrote:
jlay wrote:Just a little of Calvin's own commentary. How Calvanists was Calvin?

On Isaiah 53:12--"I approve of the ordinary reading, that He alone bore the punishment of many, because on Him was laid the guilt of the whole world. It is evident from other passages, and especially from the fifth chapter of the Epistle to the Romans, that many sometimes denotes all."

On Mark 14:24 – "The word many does not mean a part of the world only, but the whole human race."

On Matthew 20:28–"‘Many’ is used, not for a definite number, but for a large number, in that He sets Himself over against all others. And this is its meaning also in Rom. 5:15, where Paul is not talking of a part of mankind but of the whole human race."

On John 1:29 – "And when he says the sin OF THE WORLD, He extends this favour indiscriminately to the whole human race....all men without exception are guilty of unrighteousness before God and need to be reconciled to Him....Now our duty is, to embrace the benefit which is offered to all, that each of us may be convinced that there is nothing to hinder him from obtaining reconciliation in Christ, provided that he comes to him by...faith."

On John 3:16 – "He has employed the universal term whosoever, both to invite all indiscriminately to partake of life, and to cut off every excuse from unbelievers....He shows Himself to be reconciled to the whole world, when He invites all men without exception to the faith of Christ."

On Romans 5:18 – "He makes this favor common to all, because it is propoundable to all, and not because it is in reality extended to all (i.e. in the experience); for though Christ suffered for the sins of the whole world, and is offered through God’s benignity indiscriminately to all, yet all do not receive Him."

On Galatians 5:12 – "It is the will of God that we should seek the salvation of all men without exception, as Christ suffered for the sins of the whole world."

On Colossians 1:15–"This redemption was procured by the blood of Christ, for by the sacrifice of His death all the sins of the world have been expiated."

On Hebrews 5:9–"He (the writer of Hebrews) has inserted the universal term ‘to all’ to show that no one is excluded from this salvation who proves to be attentive and obedient to the Gospel of Christ."
Here are some other commentaries:

On Ephesians 1:4 „According as he hath chosen us. The foundation and first cause, both of our calling and of all the benefits which we receive from God, is here declared to be his eternal election. If the reason is asked, why God has called us to enjoy the gospel, why he daily bestows upon us so many blessings, why he opens to us the gate of heaven, — the answer will be constantly found in this principle, that he hath chosen us before the foundation of the world. The very time when the election took place proves it to be free; for what could we have deserved, or what merit did we possess, before the world was made? How childish is the attempt to meet this argument by the following sophism! “We were chosen because we were worthy, and because God foresaw that we would be worthy.” We were all lost in Adam“

On Romans 9:15 „By this oracle the Lord declared that he is a debtor to none of mankind, and that whatever he gives is a gratuitous benefit, and then that his kindness is free, so that he can confer it on whom he pleases; and lastly, that no cause higher than his own will can be thought of, why he does good and shows favor to some men but not to all.“

On John 17:9 „ ... the prayers which we offer for all are still limited to the elect of God. We ought to pray that this man, and that man, and every man, may be saved, and thus include the whole human race, because we cannot yet distinguish the elect from the reprobate … Christ expressly declares that they who are given to him belong to the Father; and it is certain that they are given so as to believe, and that faith flows from this act of giving. If the origin of faith is this act of giving, and if election comes before it in order and time, what remains but that we acknowledge that those whom God wishes to be saved out of the world are elected by free grace? Now since Christ prays for the elect only, it is necessary for us to believe the doctrine of election, if we wish that he should plead with the Father for our salvation “

Hmmm, is Calvin consistent?
Ok, I'm just going to start working back here, in no specific order.

The quotes that jlay presented from the Middletown website is from a 1972 book. The complete commentaries are available online here http://www.reformed.org/calvinism/, if anyone wants to look and see them in their context. Just scroll down to the bottom of the page. Even just a cursory reading of the actual commentaries, and the sentences in their context, will make the reader see a couple of things.

Calvin could not believe in both election and a universal atonement as those who presented these will have us believe. as 1over pointed out.

Not all of the selected quotes are contextually relevant to atonement, but to the gospel offer. We should remember that we are seeing the gospel through modern eyes as some kind of invitation, but in Calvin's day it was much more than that. The gospel was viewed as a proclamation of the love of God, the weakness of sinners and the obedience of the Son. In that respect, it was to be proclaimed to everybody on earth.

The other thing to note is that Calvin, in the commentaries here, are not talking of the sins of every human being, he is talking of the sin in the world. Remember that the fall did not only affect humans, but all of creation (Rom 8:19-24), and that is what Calvin has in mind. He continuously refers back to sin entering the world through one man, and his comments here are set against the sin that is in the world because of Adam. It that way he is consistent with his views on election.

His commentary on Matt 28 explains how he saw the world, and is consistent with how reformed theology since then has seen it:
Teach all nations. Here Christ, by removing the distinction, makes the Gentiles equal to the Jews, and admits both, indiscriminately to a participation in the covenant. Such is also the import of the term: go out; for the prophets under the law had limits assigned to them, but now, the wall of partition having been broken down, (Ephesians 2:14,) the Lord commands the ministers of the gospel to go to a distance, in order to spread the doctrine of salvation in every part of the world. For though, as we have lately suggested, the right of the first-born at the very commencement of the gospel, remained among the Jews, still the inheritance of life was common to the Gentiles. Thus was fulfilled that prediction of Isaiah, (49:6,) and others of a similar nature, that Christ was given for a light of the Gentiles, that he might be the salvation of God to the end of the earth.
The quote from his will, by the way, was a mistranslation from the french.
Acts 17:24-25 (NIV)
"The God who made the world and everything in it is the Lord of heaven and earth and does not live in temples built by hands. [25] And he is not served by human hands, as if he needed anything, because he himself gives all men life and breath and everything else."

//www.omnipotentgrace.org
//christianskepticism.blogspot.com
jlay
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by jlay »

I chose the Beast for a reason, since most people here still regard him as a future person (there are many other examples in Scripture). It is quite clear that this person is (or was) predestined to Hell.
PL, Uh, anyone who willfully denies Christ is predestined for Hell. I think everyone here agrees on that, and I already stated such.
Calvin could not believe in both election and a universal atonement as those who presented these will have us believe.
Couldn't or didn't?
As the middletown site says, Calvin most likely had a belief in limited atonement.
Not all of the selected quotes are contextually relevant to atonement, but to the gospel offer.
The Gospel offer? What, offer someone a lie? "Christ died for you...well maybe,...if you are elect. If you are reprobate then he didn't die for you. And if reprobate, I asked you to believe that Christ died for you, I would be asking you to believe a lie. And since few will find the narrow road, odds are, Christ didn't die for you."

Saying the gospel offer is available to all, is trying to have one's cake and eat it too. FWIW, I believe 100% in election, and in universal atonement.
-“The Bible treated allegorically becomes putty in the hands of the exegete.” John Walvoord

"I'm not saying scientists don't overstate their results. They do. And it's understandable, too...If you spend years working toward a certain goal and make no progress, of course you are going to spin your results in a positive light." Ivellious
neo-x
Ultimate Member

Post by neo-x »

lol, much of this would be very clear had you read the entire response.
I read the whole thing, Zoe...without a direct reference to Phillips, the statement about emotionalism sounded more like a general sweep, about all of which was argued opposite to Calvinism, and my response was addressed towards that. Most people like to use emotionalism to quickly discredit any argument against Calvinism.
I'm saying that when we resort to emotions to judge God it's inappropriate, that's all.
Yes, one should be in-line with the scriptures.

without.

puritan lad
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by puritan lad »

Rick and B.W.,

This is why we need to stick with word words actually mean. We cannot simply redefine words to mean whatever we want them to mean in order to satisfy our own theological boxes (and we all have them). What you have both described is, by definition, not predestination. It is ratification. It is a divine "stamp of approval" that is contingent upon the choice of the individual.

B.W.,

Thanks for at least attempting a direct answer. However, you wrote:
God foreknew the result that his speaking word would have and can thus do as he so wills for his purposes.
What does God's speaking Word accomplish?
"so shall my word be that goes out from my mouth; it shall not return to me empty, but it shall accomplish that which I purpose, and shall succeed in the thing for which I sent it." (Isaiah 55:11)
The result of God's spoken Word is not a passive result that God then chooses to use after the fact. but it accomplishes all that God purposes (or predestines). We see an even better example with Pharoah, where God plainly says that he will harden Pharoah's heart so that he would not obey, not because he would not obey.
B.W. wrote:Now this beast, from whom does his power come from - God or devils? Rev 16:13-14 answers this and illustrates a complete rejection of the Lord by this beast.
All true, but doesn't answer the question. Can the beast make a decision for Christ and be saved? Why not? If God already foreknows the choice, then how can that choice not be predestined?
B.W. wrote:Now a question back to you – Was Satan’s sin placed or found in him?
It was found in him, ordained by God, who "...does according to his will among the armies of heaven and among the inhabitants of the earth; and none can stay his hand or say to him, "What have you done?""(Daniel 4:35). God did not just suddenly "find" iniquity in Satan and have to scramble around to fix the mess by sending Christ as "Plan B". Everything that happens has been ordained by God before the foundation of world, including Satan's iniquity and man's fall,
"To suppose that whatever God requireth of us that we have power of ourselves to do, is to make the cross and grace of Jesus Christ of none effect." - JOHN OWEN

//covenant-theology.blogspot.com
//christianskepticism.blogspot.com/
narnia4

Post by narnia4 »

Maybe I'll try to expound on my thoughts on emotionalism later when I have more time.

And I don't believe that Calvinists are being targeted out of maliciousness or just because they're Calvinists. What I'm saying is- If not Calvinism, then what? To me that question hasn't been answered, not even close.
Young, Restless, Reformed
puritan lad
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by puritan lad »

narnia4 wrote:Maybe I'll try to expound on my thoughts on emotionalism later when I have more time.

And I don't believe that Calvinists are being targeted out of maliciousness or just because they're Calvinists. What I'm saying is- If not Calvinism, then what? To me that question hasn't been answered, not even close.
I don't believe we are being "targeted" either. It is Calvinism itself that grates the senses. We all like to think that we are in charge of our destinies, and it can be difficult to realize that we are not. But for those who understand the doctrines of sovereign grace, and that God has guaranteed us an inheritance, leaving nothing to operate outside of His sovereign will, it is a great comfort.

or...maybe I'm just used to it.
"To suppose that whatever God requireth of us that we have power of ourselves to do, is to make the cross and grace of Jesus Christ of none effect." - JOHN OWEN

//covenant-theology.blogspot.com
//christianskepticism.blogspot.com/