New hybrid shark found

Discussion about scientific issues as they relate to God and Christianity including archaeology, origins of life, the universe, intelligent design, evolution, etc.
DRDS
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided

New hybrid shark found

Post by DRDS »

Ivellious
Esteemed Senior Member
Christian: No
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Re: New hybrid shark found

Post by Ivellious »

Indeed microevolution in this case...but the point of macroevolution is that with enough of these adaptations and changes a population can become completely different than its ancestors...Honestly, it would be nearly impossible to expect macroevolution to occur in one step, and evolution does not say that at all...if nothing else this is a good demonstration of how these types of changes can happen in nature in a very brief period of time. So tell me, how does this really demonstrate your point?
Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Danieltwotwenty »

I am confused with the article, isn't this just interbreeding between two types of sharks?
1Tim1:15-17
Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his immense patience as an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life. Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever.Amen.
Ivellious
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Ivellious »

It's not really the type of evolution typically debated over...It's not natural selection technically. But it is extremely uncommon to find two completely separate species that can mate and produce a fully fertile offspring. Most of the time, even if two species interbreed, the offspring is either infertile or has a number of genetic defects or problems that limit its survival capabilities.

So I think the point the biologist here is making is that it's a really big deal that, while one species is likely going to die off soon, it's hybrid offspring have the ability to survive based on the new genetic material introduced to that population. It's just really rare for this kind of thing to occur in such a brief period of time.
Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member

But it is extremely uncommon to find two completely separate species that can mate and produce a fully fertile offspring.
Uncommon but not unheard of?
Doesn't sound like such a big deal.
Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his immense patience as an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life. Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever.Amen.
Ivellious
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Ivellious »

More or less it's highly uncommon for it to work as well as this instance I guess. Personally I agree with you, this article seems to kind of blow it out of proportion, as it probably only really matters to people who study sharks haha. But that's what Yahoo editors and writers get paid to do I suppose...Just make it sound good.
Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member

Personally I agree with you, this article seems to kind of blow it out of proportion, as it probably only really matters to people who study sharks haha. But that's what Yahoo editors and writers get paid to do I suppose...Just make it sound good.
:pound: all media these days seem to spew forth sensationalist news. Money talks and it sounds like blah blah blah.
Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

Nothing more than an obvious case of adaptation.
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.
ROBE
Familiar Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by ROBE »

Simply reproducing according to their kind.
Callisto
Established Member
Sex: Female

Post by Callisto »

Danieltwotwenty wrote:
Personally I agree with you, this article seems to kind of blow it out of proportion, as it probably only really matters to people who study sharks haha. But that's what Yahoo editors and writers get paid to do I suppose...Just make it sound good.
:pound: all media these days seem to spew forth sensationalist news. Money talks and it sounds like blah blah blah.
Also the atheists can get all excited and wet their pants, frothing over at the mouth while they furiously type to post the link on their blogs decrying theism, all because they found a shark-hybrid. (Read comments sections on pieces like this and you'll see it immediately.) Really, is it much different than a Labrador retriever and a poodle getting together and having puppies? Still a dog. Still a shark.
Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member

Callisto wrote:
Danieltwotwenty wrote:
Also the atheists can get all excited and wet their pants, frothing over at the mouth while they furiously type to post the link on their blogs decrying theism, all because they found a shark-hybrid. (Read comments sections on pieces like this and you'll see it immediately.) Really, is it much different than a Labrador retriever and a poodle getting together and having puppies? Still a dog. Still a shark.
:pound: so true.
Canuckster1127
Old School

Post by Canuckster1127 »

We may be only a few mutations away from our worst nightmare ....

Dogmatism is the comfortable intellectual framework of self-righteousness. Self-righteousness is more decadent than the worst sexual sin. ~ Dan Allender
Stu
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Stu »

ROBE wrote:Simply reproducing according to their kind.
Precisely. Rottweiler's can breed with pitbulls, lions with tigers, etc., etc.
Only when the blood runs and the shackles restrain, will the sheep then awake. When all is lost.
Canuckster1127
Old School

Post by Canuckster1127 »

I get the sense this is more like a horse breeding with a donkey and producing a mule that isn't sterile. Jokes aside it is different than breed differences within the same species.
Dogmatism is the comfortable intellectual framework of self-righteousness. Self-righteousness is more decadent than the worst sexual sin. ~ Dan Allender
Stu
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Stu »

Canuckster1127 wrote:I get the sense this is more like a horse breeding with a donkey and producing a mule that isn't sterile. Jokes aside it is different than breed differences within the same species.
You mean like a Liger or Tigon?

Only when the blood runs and the shackles restrain, will the sheep then awake. When all is lost.