question about bible and killing?

Discussion about scientific issues as they relate to God and Christianity including archaeology, origins of life, the universe, intelligent design, evolution, etc.
Ivellious
Esteemed Senior Member
Christian: No
Sex: Male
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Re: question about bible and killing?

Post by Ivellious »

But the Bible is the one true word of God according to Christianity, right? Just because a mortal man wrote something later doesn't mean it gets to be the official annotation of the Bible. So how do we determine that these verses of the Bible no longer apply to us? Or is it just that we can assume?
Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Danieltwotwenty »

Ivellious wrote:But the Bible is the one true word of God according to Christianity, right? Just because a mortal man wrote something later doesn't mean it gets to be the official annotation of the Bible. So how do we determine that these verses of the Bible no longer apply to us? Or is it just that we can assume?
You are assuming that Jesus was not God. Jesus said that the only two things we need to do is firstly love God with all your heart, with all your soul and with all your mind, secondly love your neighbour as you would love yourself. Matthew 22:36-40

If you follow these two laws then there is no problem, so no the Bible does not condone killing.
Also you need to understand context, not everything that happens in the Bible is sanctioned by God or if it is there were a great deal of reasons behind that decision it isn't just cut and dry.

Dan
1Tim1:15-17
Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his immense patience as an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life. Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever.Amen.
Ivellious
Esteemed Senior Member
Christian: No
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Post by Ivellious »

God told the "greater race" in this case to kill the non-believing pagans. That's fairly cut and dry. My only concern are those who say that this doesn't apply anymore, even though the Bible never clearly says "this condoning of murder only counts for this select group of people for a limited time." I know Jesus said something different, and his word is God's word in the Bible. But that's simply contradictory, to say "thou shalt not kill" under any circumstances, except apparently there are circumstances where killing non-believers. Especially with no clear indication that the order to kill the non-believers wouldn't apply later.
Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member

Post by Danieltwotwenty »

Ivellious wrote:God told the "greater race" in this case to kill the non-believing pagans. That's fairly cut and dry. My only concern are those who say that this doesn't apply anymore, even though the Bible never clearly says "this condoning of murder only counts for this select group of people for a limited time." I know Jesus said something different, and his word is God's word in the Bible. But that's simply contradictory, to say "thou shalt not kill" under any circumstances, except apparently there are circumstances where killing non-believers. Especially with no clear indication that the order to kill the non-believers wouldn't apply later.
You really should read Is God a Moral Monster as it answers all your objections, here is a link to it on Amazon
And there are plenty of articles on the main site which cover this subject http://www.godandscience.org/apologetic ... n_eye.html
Also http://www.godandscience.org/apologetics/killergod.html
And http://www.godandscience.org/apologetic ... f_god.html

Dan
1Tim1:15-17
Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his immense patience as an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life. Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever.Amen.
Silvertusk
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Silvertusk »

Ivellious wrote:But the Bible is the one true word of God according to Christianity, right? Just because a mortal man wrote something later doesn't mean it gets to be the official annotation of the Bible. So how do we determine that these verses of the Bible no longer apply to us? Or is it just that we can assume?

Because Jesus told us. If fufilled the law and told us what the greatest commandments were.
Canuckster1127
Old School

Post by Canuckster1127 »

Ivellious. Those are honest questions and ones that many ask, including those who are within the faith. There are answers that are consistent within the faith and worldview of those who follow Christ and look to answers within Scripture.

Are you interested in hearing the answers from the perspective of those who have wrestled with it and can see light on these issues or have you already made your mind up as to what you believe the answers to be?
Dogmatism is the comfortable intellectual framework of self-righteousness. Self-righteousness is more decadent than the worst sexual sin. ~ Dan Allender
MarcusOfLycia

Post by MarcusOfLycia »

Actually, technically, Jesus is the Word of God. The Bible -does- have answers to your questions, but if you are here asking for us to answer questions, how is it any different than asking the 2000 years worth of Christians before us? Should we throw away what they have to say?
Ivellious wrote:God told the "greater race" in this case to kill the non-believing pagans. That's fairly cut and dry. My only concern are those who say that this doesn't apply anymore, even though the Bible never clearly says "this condoning of murder only counts for this select group of people for a limited time." I know Jesus said something different, and his word is God's word in the Bible. But that's simply contradictory, to say "thou shalt not kill" under any circumstances, except apparently there are circumstances where killing non-believers. Especially with no clear indication that the order to kill the non-believers wouldn't apply later.
The Bible never says "Do not kill". It says "Do not murder". This is a very common misinterpretation (at least one that I hear a lot). Murder is to kill in cold blood. Killing itself happens a lot, especially in war though sometimes in punishment for crimes. Have you actually read the Chronicles? If your method of interpretation of God's command to Israel of defeating a certain group of people is applied to the reading of other historical accounts, you would have to assume England and France are still at war (a history book on either country may indicate a war, depending on time period; how can you assume that war is over?) Implicitly there are times when it is okay for Englishmen to kill Frenchmen, and vice versa. Does this still apply today?

If God doesn't exist, killing isn't really a moral issue. If the Bible says God has a certain policy about killing, you can ignore it, since God really didn't say it.

If God does exist, then we have to look at this entire life as a speck on the road to an eternity defined not by our behavior but by our trust in what God has done for us. Killing is not an issue because this life is not all there is. Since we have somewhere to spend the eternal portion of our existence, this life must be interpreted more as a divine training ground. We all end up dying here, and it us up to us to spend the time we have wisely.

The problem with your interpretation of killing is that you assume God exists to take accountability for the command to kill a group of people, but that He isn't around to provide life after death or a fair judgement of mankind.
-- Josh

“When you see a man with a great deal of religion displayed in his shop window, you may depend upon it, he keeps a very small stock of it within” C.H. Spurgeon

1st Corinthians 1:17- "For Christ did not send me to baptize, but to preach the gospel””not with words of human wisdom, lest the cross of Christ be emptied of its power"
Gman
Old School
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by Gman »

Ivellious wrote:God told the "greater race" in this case to kill the non-believing pagans.
Greater race? Not sure where you are getting that... G-d is no respecter of persons.
Ivellious wrote:That's fairly cut and dry. My only concern are those who say that this doesn't apply anymore, even though the Bible never clearly says "this condoning of murder only counts for this select group of people for a limited time." I know Jesus said something different, and his word is God's word in the Bible. But that's simply contradictory, to say "thou shalt not kill" under any circumstances, except apparently there are circumstances where killing non-believers. Especially with no clear indication that the order to kill the non-believers wouldn't apply later.
The Bible still accepts the moral concept of killing today. Can I ask you a question? Do you pay taxes to governmental police or military forces today? Then you are just as guilty of promoting killing... Sorry.
The heart cannot rejoice in what the mind rejects as false - Galileo

We learn from history that we do not learn from history - Georg Friedrich Wilhelm Hegel

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things. -Philippians 4:8