Higgs Boson

Discussion about scientific issues as they relate to God and Christianity including archaeology, origins of life, the universe, intelligent design, evolution, etc.
Silvertusk
Board Moderator
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided

Higgs Boson

Post by Silvertusk »

So they believe that have found it now - what next?

They are now wondering how the Higgs Boson gets its mass now - seems like an infinite regression things starting up here. My Dad mentioned that this supports the possibility of bouncing universes or the multiverse - how exactly? I thought this just provides more evidence for the Standard Model.

Is the Standard Model just Big Bang Theory or is there a lot more to it than that?

Silvertusk.
Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Re: Higgs Boson

Post by Danieltwotwenty »

My Dad mentioned that this supports the possibility of bouncing universes or the multiverse - how exactly?
Even if it did prove that what does it really prove, that heaven and hell actually exist? :ewink:

Dan
1Tim1:15-17
Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his immense patience as an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life. Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever.Amen.
1over137
Technical Admin
Sex: Female

Post by 1over137 »

Silvertusk wrote: My Dad mentioned that this supports the possibility of bouncing universes or the multiverse - how exactly? I thought this just provides more evidence for the Standard Model.
What do you mean by 'this' in both sentences?
But examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
-- 1 Thessalonians 5:21

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.
-- Philippians 1:6

#foreverinmyheart
Silvertusk
Board Moderator

Post by Silvertusk »

1over137 wrote:
Silvertusk wrote: My Dad mentioned that this supports the possibility of bouncing universes or the multiverse - how exactly? I thought this just provides more evidence for the Standard Model.
What do you mean by 'this' in both sentences?
The discovery of the Higgs Boson. I looked up the standard model on Wikipedia and my head just exploded.
1over137
Technical Admin

Post by 1over137 »

I first thought that you are talking about cosmological Standard Model since you were mentioning the Big Bang. Do not confuse cosmological Standard Model with Standard Model in particle physics.
You ask what next. Next is to find out which Higgs boson it is, is it e.g. Higgs boson from supersymmetry or is it really Standard Model Higgs boson?
I cannot answer your question about multiverse at the moment, but will look into it.

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.

#foreverinmyheart
Silvertusk
Board Moderator

Post by Silvertusk »

Thanks.

Now I am just going to clean up the mess my exploding head as created. :stars:
1over137
Technical Admin

Post by 1over137 »

I did not manage to find about Higgs existence supporting "the possibility of bouncing universes or the multiverse". Where did your dad read that?

#foreverinmyheart
Silvertusk
Board Moderator

Post by Silvertusk »

I don't know, I will have to ask him