Scientists admit holes in naturalistic cosmology

Discussion about scientific issues as they relate to God and Christianity including archaeology, origins of life, the universe, intelligent design, evolution, etc.
MarcusOfLycia
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male

Scientists admit holes in naturalistic cosmology

Post by MarcusOfLycia »

I found this on twitter today and it was a good (though short) read.

http://www.uncommondescent.com/intellig ... Descent%29
-- Josh

“When you see a man with a great deal of religion displayed in his shop window, you may depend upon it, he keeps a very small stock of it within” C.H. Spurgeon

1st Corinthians 1:17- "For Christ did not send me to baptize, but to preach the gospel””not with words of human wisdom, lest the cross of Christ be emptied of its power"
Ivellious
Esteemed Senior Member
Christian: No
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Re: Scientists admit holes in naturalistic cosmology

Post by Ivellious »

Frankly, while I understand the desire to discover the origins of the universe, I don't think we could reasonably come up with any true evidence for any kind of explanation. It's all speculation, and with so many conflicting ideas out there (both "scientific" and not) it doesn't seem like we've gotten very far with it. Plus it's all over my head, so I'll stick to reading about the cosmology of things we can actually observe in space, like black holes and planets and stars and such.
MarcusOfLycia

Post by MarcusOfLycia »

Depends on who you ask. While some biologists would say you couldn't come up with evidence, it is becoming the consensus of physicists that you must adopt a supernatural explanation to the origin of the universe:

http://www.godevidence.com/2011/01/what ... s-down-to/
-- Josh

“When you see a man with a great deal of religion displayed in his shop window, you may depend upon it, he keeps a very small stock of it within” C.H. Spurgeon

1st Corinthians 1:17- "For Christ did not send me to baptize, but to preach the gospel””not with words of human wisdom, lest the cross of Christ be emptied of its power"
Stu
Esteemed Senior Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Stu »

Naturalistic cosmology is a non-starter.
It goes back to WLC's Kalam Cosmological Argument.

1. Whatever begins to exist has a cause.
2. The universe began to exist.
3. The universe has a cause.

And no, the quantum vacuum is not nothing.
Hawking and his counterparts seek to redefine "nothing" into "something" by appealing to the quantum vacuum, but electromagnetic waves are not nothing.
The inescapable outcome is that both theists and atheists have to invoke the supernatural as a cause for the universes existence.

Only nothing can come from nothing. It seems a temporary suspension of logic and common sense has been deemed acceptable by certain folk just to escape the unavoidable truth staring us in the face y:-?
Only when the blood runs and the shackles restrain, will the sheep then awake. When all is lost.
Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Danieltwotwenty »

Denial is a funny thing.

Dan
1Tim1:15-17
Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his immense patience as an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life. Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever.Amen.
StMonicaGuideMe
Valued Member

Post by StMonicaGuideMe »

Amen, brother Dan.
To sustain the belief that there is no God, atheism has to demonstrate infinite knowledge, which is tantamount to saying, “I have infinite knowledge that there is no being in existence with infinite knowledge".