Getting baptized

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
Anonymous

Getting baptized

Post by Anonymous »

I am 16 years old and want to get baptized. I am not a member of any church. But I know I want to be baptized properly, fully immersed in water. How do I go about getting baptized? I dont fully understand about all the different churches or why some churches think you only need to be sprinkled with water? When the bible says you need to be fully immersed in water? I know there are 3 christian churches in my neighbrouhood but I dont know what type of church they are
Felgar
Esteemed Senior Member
Christian: No

Post by Felgar »

That's terrific soulfool. Clearly you are baptized by a minister in a church, and usually the church will require you to recognize membership in their congregation before baptizing someone. So my advice is to check out those churches, learn about their doctrines, and attend any that you agree with. Then it's just a matter of which church you feel the most comfortable with.
LittleShepherd
Established Member

Post by LittleShepherd »

There's really nothing stating who has to baptize you. The only thing that's clear is that it must be done by a fellow Christian, and that it must be done in the name of the Father, the Son, <B>and</B> the Holy Spirit. Oh, and the full immersion thing, of course.

Baptism is part of the Great Commission handed to the Apostles, to go and make disciples of all nations, and which is just part of what it's all about to be a Christian. It was never restricted to "apostles only" or "ministers only." So it's really doesn't matter who baptizes you.

As for where to perform the baptism, that also doesn't matter. It should be a place where there is "much water," so pretty much anywhere you can fully immerse will do. A lake, river, swimming pool, hot tub, bathtub, whatever you have handy that can hold "much water."

I do strongly urge you to visit the churches in your area, though, and to pray that God will lead you to the place that He wants you to be. It's true that there are other means of gathering together with other Christians, but the church is just a way too ingenious tool for doing this(and more) to just write off. It's something I urge every new Christian to join unless they have a very clear pull from God to do something else. Be aware, though -- you <B>will</B> be called to fellowship in some way; Christians were never meant to operate solo.

You should get baptized as soon as possible, though, and it's obvious you feel the pull to do so. You don't have to worry about losing your salvation(or anything so dramatic) if you don't, but it's a great way of following Christ in obedience and of displaying your faith.
jerickson314
Established Member

Post by jerickson314 »

I was actually baptized by sprinkling, as an infant. It's not like my parents asked me. If they did, all I could have said would be either "(insert snoring noises here)" or "WAH!! WAH!! WAH!!" :wink:
Forge
Valued Member

Post by Forge »

jerickson314 wrote:I was actually baptized by sprinkling, as an infant. It's not like my parents asked me. If they did, all I could have said would be either "(insert snoring noises here)" or "WAH!! WAH!! WAH!!" :wink:
Hmm? What about [insert gastric noises here]?