Who makes people deaf/blind?

Discussions about the Bible, and any issues raised by Scripture.
mum1983
Familiar Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Female

Who makes people deaf/blind?

Post by mum1983 »

Exodus 4:11
The LORD said to him, “Who gave human beings their mouths? Who makes them deaf or mute? Who gives them sight or makes them blind? Is it not I, the LORD?

Yet, in the New Testament, we are led to believe the deafness/blindness was caused my impure spirits. Now, most of us believe it's caused by genetics, etc.
Canuckster1127
Old School
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Re: Who makes people deaf/blind?

Post by Canuckster1127 »

Where in the New Testament does it indicate that deafness/blindness was caused by impure spirits either exclusively or even primarily? I recall immediately that Bartimeaus for example when Jesus was questioned as to the cause of his blindness (who sinned, this man or his parents) Jesus indicated that there was no sin involved but rather it was for the glory of God which presumably included Jesus' being there at the right time and place to heal the man.

Scripture is both divine and human. It was written in the context of it's times and cultures (many of them over the long periods of time covered by scripture). It shouldn't surprise us at all that scriptures for example, written in Hebrew to Israelites in an agriculturally predominant culture are going to speak of things using the vocabulary and imagery of that time. Why would we expect idioms and vocabulary from then to fit neatly into our langauge and culture?

It's human to imagine that we are the center of the universe. We look at things and question them from our perspective and we question why, for example in this case, scripture is not written in a manner which molds to our context as if we're personally as individuals, a country and a culture are the ultimate heights of humanity and therefore, God surely must have had us in mind more than others when He did things the way He did.

Maybe we need to back away from that and consider moving God to the center and not elevating our perspective above all others?
Dogmatism is the comfortable intellectual framework of self-righteousness. Self-righteousness is more decadent than the worst sexual sin. ~ Dan Allender
mum1983
Familiar Member
Sex: Female

Post by mum1983 »

Canuckster1127 wrote:Where in the New Testament does it indicate that deafness/blindness was caused by impure spirits either exclusively or even primarily? I recall immediately that Bartimeaus for example when Jesus was questioned as to the cause of his blindness (who sinned, this man or his parents) Jesus indicated that there was no sin involved but rather it was for the glory of God which presumably included Jesus' being there at the right time and place to heal the man.
Yes, this was the one time when Jesus admitted this man had not sinned. Are we to believe all the others did? What about everyone in the last 2,000 years?

These questions might not be important to you but they are to me. Both of my parents were disabled from birth (my father had congenital cateracts) or from a very young age (mom had a stroke at 6 months old) and the thought of generational sin and who or what causes disability is one which concerns me. In the Old Testament, God seems to be inflicting illness on people. Since the "God is love" message came to be believed, most Christians will tell you God wouldn't do such a thing as inflict disabilities on children...it's "the way of the world" or "the Enemy" or "God did that in the old days, but not anymore, since Christ died for our sins." These are the same people who will tell you that God NEVER changes!

There is an elderly man at my church, who claims his vision was miraculously healed after he suffered an accident some 50 years ago. He bases his faith on that one incident. It has been enough to carry him all these years. Some of us are still waiting to be healed. Some of us are earnestly seeking God and his love and have yet to find any fulfillment or direction.

Please don't say I'm asking for too much and I shouldn't look at this selfishly ie "What can God do for me?" because we are all selfish in nature, to some extent. Even those who profess to live in God's love are doing so because they believe they are benefitting from it. Yes, they also do it because God is God and he commands that we love him, but who doesn't desire to love and feel loved in return (whether it's real love or unrequited)?
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

Are you to believe all others did sin? I did not get this from Canuckster's post. Only that there are many reasons. Trying to pin down the one reason for "why" something happened can really do your head in. Accepting things we don't want to sometimes is required to be able to move on healthily.

God is that same as in the "old days" and He is today. Just that today, His concern is not limited to Israel and we get to see His mercy and forgiveness rather than judgement and condemnation, thanks to Jesus. What was weak with the Old Covenant in what it could not do, has been made strong with the New (read Hebrews 7:17-18e ). I really recommend to you also reading over Hebrews 8, which contains a reiteration of what Jeremiah prophesied in the OT (Jeremiah 31:31-34). It really gives some perspective to the old/new differences. So things are very different for us today, relationally with God, than it was before Christ.

Now to those who have been healed, and we should not be surprised this happens given the personal God we believe in... great! But they are an exception rather than the general. God heals sinners spiritually and physically. It isn't a matter of faith either as many Pentecostal churches preach. No, Jesus healed many and then they believed, not the other way around. Can God heal us of physical ailments? Yes. Will He? Probably not, because it is not His intention for this world. He is more concerned with our spiritual welfare, which has eternal consequences rather than the physical which can be how God tests, refines and shapes who we are and become. To some degree, it is also a sign of God taking pity perhaps the spiritual weakness of those He is healing, although not necessarily so. But read 1 Peter 1:3-9 which I'll quote in full below:
  • 1 Peter 1:3-9 - 3Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who according to His great mercy has caused us to be born again to a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, 4to obtain an inheritance which is imperishable and undefiled and will not fade away, reserved in heaven for you, 5who are protected by the power of God through faith for a salvation ready to be revealed in the last time. 6In this you greatly rejoice, even though now for a little while, if necessary, you have been distressed by various trials, 7so that the proof of your faith, being more precious than gold which is perishable, even though tested by fire, may be found to result in praise and glory and honor at the revelation of Jesus Christ; 8and though you have not seen Him, you love Him, and though you do not see Him now, but believe in Him, you greatly rejoice with joy inexpressible and full of glory, 9obtaining as the outcome of your faith the salvation of your souls.
Paul who went through all sorts of trials, and actually wanted to die to be with God, wrote that our "sufferings of this present time are not worthy to be compared with the glory that is to be revealed to us." To put another way, any pain and suffering we go through in this short life we live, pails so much in significance compared to the eternity which follows as to be likened to nothing (Romans 8:18). That is, for those who accept God's forgiveness offered through Christ.

Hope this helps.