Jerusalem - The center of the world!!

Discussion about scientific issues as they relate to God and Christianity including archaeology, origins of life, the universe, intelligent design, evolution, etc.
Gman
Old School
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: Jerusalem - The center of the world!!

Post by Gman »

Jewish mindset is fused into a concept called "Tikkun olam" a Hebrew phrase that means "repairing the world." Now what kind of knuckle head would be opposed to this concept? y:-? :P

//en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tikkun_olam

For the visually impaired... This is what it looks like. :egeek:

The heart cannot rejoice in what the mind rejects as false - Galileo

We learn from history that we do not learn from history - Georg Friedrich Wilhelm Hegel

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things. -Philippians 4:8
Gman
Old School

Post by Gman »

Danieltwotwenty wrote:You have a fascinating mind G, truely you have been blessed with a gift from God.
Absolutely fascinating.

Dan
Thanks Dan.. Still got a ways to go... ;)

We learn from history that we do not learn from history - Georg Friedrich Wilhelm Hegel

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things. -Philippians 4:8
Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Danieltwotwenty »

Gman wrote:
Danieltwotwenty wrote:You have a fascinating mind G, truely you have been blessed with a gift from God.
Absolutely fascinating.

Dan
Thanks Dan.. Still got a ways to go... ;)
:popcorn: Waiting in anticipation.
1Tim1:15-17
Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his immense patience as an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life. Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever.Amen.
Gman
Old School

Post by Gman »

Danieltwotwenty wrote:
:popcorn: Waiting in anticipation.
Oh.. So you want some more? :P

During the time of Sukkot, Jews practice a certain custom using a palm branch and a prayer called a Hallel. The palm branch is used to rejoice and spread G-d's BLESSINGS to all corners of the earth (six different directions)..

On the first day, you will take for yourselves a fruit of a beautiful tree, palm branches, twigs of a braided tree and brook willows, and you will rejoice before the L-RD your G-d for seven days. -Leviticus 23:40

"Another observance during Sukkot involves what are known as the Four Species (arba minim in Hebrew) or the lulav and etrog. We are commanded to take these four plants and use them to "rejoice before the L-rd." The four species in question are an etrog (a citrus fruit similar to a lemon native to Israel; in English it is called a citron), a palm branch (in Hebrew, lulav), two willow branches (aravot) and three myrtle branches (hadassim). The six branches are bound together and referred to collectively as the lulav, because the palm branch is by far the largest part. The etrog is held separately. With these four species in hand, one recites a blessing and waves the species in all six directions (east, south, west, north, up and down), symbolizing the fact that G-d is everywhere. "

Source: //www.jewfaq.org/holiday5.htm

Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member

Why these specific plants G?
Is there any symbolic reason for these items?

Dan
Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his immense patience as an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life. Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever.Amen.
Gman
Old School

Post by Gman »

Danieltwotwenty wrote:Why these specific plants G?
Is there any symbolic reason for these items?

Dan
Now that's a good question... According to the website.

"Why are these four plants used instead of other plants? There are two primary explanations of the symbolic significance of these plants: that they represent different parts of the body, or that they represent different kinds of Jews.

According to the first interpretation, the long straight palm branch represents the spine. The myrtle leaf, which is a small oval, represents the eye. The willow leaf, a long oval, represents the mouth, and the etrog fruit represents the heart. All of these parts have the potential to be used for sin, but should join together in the performance of mitzvot (commandments)"

Gman
Old School

Post by Gman »

Another interesting thing about the layout of the temple square. It actually represented a miniature layout of the world. If you look at the temple itself, it represented the land of Israel with the gentile nations surrounding all four sides of it. The court of the gentiles was clearly marked by the "soreg" which was a low wall surrounding the Holy Temple. This served as a boundary and warning to the gentiles approaching it.

Very interesting....

Gman
Old School

Post by Gman »

Again... The position of Israel and the temple was a TACTICAL move by the creator to influence the rest of the world. G-d didn't NOT set His land on some remote island. He set it right in the middle of the entire world to reach His children. And what is G-d's message again? LOVE ;)

BryanH
Valued Member
Christian: No
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by BryanH »

1) You might be right about the geographical positioning of Jerusalem, but you forgot to mention that this location was taken by force by the jews and there are many problems because of this even today. So God's message about love is secondary to the fact that lots of innoncent people were killed so jews can get to Jerusalem and lots of innocent people were killed so the jews can keep Jerusalem.

***Not to mention that a couple of decades ago when one of the prime ministers of Israel wanted to make peace with the Palestinians and offer them their territories back, he was assassinated by his own people... (lots of love indeed)
***Take a look at pyramids around the world. You might notice that such pyramids mimic the location of stars in our galaxy, not to mention that their allignment in regard to north, south, west, east is laser precise in some cases.
2) You say something about the majority of languages being derrived from hebrew cultures?
What is hebrew cultures? There is no such thing...

And you quoted selectively. That's not nice. Hope you know that.
"The origins of the alphabet are unknown, but there are several theories as to how it developed. One popular proposal — the Proto-Sinaitic theory[1] — is that the history of the alphabet began in Ancient Egypt, more than a millennium into the history of writing. Under this theory, the alphabet was invented to represent the language of Semitic workers in Egypt (see Middle Bronze Age alphabets), and was at least influenced by the alphabetic principles of the Egyptian hieratic script. If correct, nearly all alphabets in the world today either descend directly from this development or were inspired by its design.[2]"

"The most widely used alphabet is the Latin alphabet.[2] It derives from the Greek, the first script to consistently assign letters to both consonants and vowels,[3] which in turn was derived from the Phoenician alphabet (it was an abjad - a system where each symbol usually stands for a consonant)."

If a sentence starts with "The origins of the alphabet are unknown...." I wouldn't go that far and say:
It appears, or as the theory goes, that all the languages that we see today originated in some way from the Hebrew cultures. The big bang of language..
I don't think that Egypt identify themselves as being a hebrew culture... First of all the Egyptians were more advanced than the jews so I don't see the connection with the hebrew culture.

No offense G-man, but you connect just the dots you want to connect. It doesn't work that way I'm afraid.
Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member

So God's message about love is secondary to the fact that lots of innoncent people were killed so jews can get to Jerusalem and lots of innocent people were killed so the jews can keep Jerusalem.
Innocent hey.......... Romans 3:23
***Not to mention that a couple of decades ago when one of the prime ministers of Israel wanted to make peace with the Palestinians and offer them their territories back, he was assassinated by his own people... (lots of love indeed)
What does this have to do with God, people do bad things all the time, stop blaming God for our own iniquities.

Dan
BryanH
Valued Member

Post by BryanH »

What does this have to do with God, people do bad things all the time, stop blaming God for our own iniquities.
I wasn't pointing at God in this statement. Sorry if that is how it seems. I was just pointing out that jews disagree with one another in terms of what God's message is.
Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member

BryanH wrote:
I wasn't pointing at God in this statement. Sorry if that is how it seems. I was just pointing out that jews disagree with one another in terms of what God's message is.
Unfortunately most of the Jewish community have not entirely accepted the full word of God, even some Christians have not understood God's message, take for example the West Boro Baptist Church. Man's inhumanity to man is rife everywhere.
Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member

BryanH wrote:If a sentence starts with "The origins of the alphabet are unknown...." I wouldn't go that far and say:

Gman wrote:It appears, or as the theory goes, that all the languages that we see today originated in some way from the Hebrew cultures. The big bang of language..
Bryan, I don't see Gman making any fantastical claims here, he wrote it "appears" and "as the theory goes"........ it's a possability not a statement of fact.
BryanH wrote:I don't think that Egypt identify themselves as being a hebrew culture... First of all the Egyptians were more advanced than the jews so I don't see the connection with the hebrew culture.

I don't think anyone knows for sure who was more advanced, they had the Hebrews enslaved for hundreds of years, maybe it was the knowledge of the Hebrews that helped build the pyramids, maybe the Egyptians learn't everything they knew from the enslaved Hebrews.

Dan
Gman
Old School

Post by Gman »

This is a different topic entirely so I'll move these posts later so that we can discuss it. But the land of Israel belongs to the Jews. Period.

BryanH
Valued Member

Post by BryanH »

I don't think anyone knows for sure who was more advanced, they had the Hebrews enslaved for hundreds of years, maybe it was the knowledge of the Hebrews that helped build the pyramids, maybe the Egyptians learn't everything they knew from the enslaved Hebrews.
Daniel I don't want to offend you in any way, but please don't insult my intelligence and don't place yourself in a position where you can easily be ridiculed. The pyramids are way older compared to what you are talking about. So we know for sure that the Egyptians were more advanced than the Hebrews(Jews).