Discussion I'm having with an agnostic about Christianity

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
cubeus19
Established Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Discussion I'm having with an agnostic about Christianity

Post by cubeus19 »

Hi guys, I've been talking with an agnostic who is interested in becoming a Chrsitian the problem he keeps having is, he doesn't think Christianity is real because of the fact that nearly all the Christians he has observed, all of them don't live up to Christ's commands, especially loving others as themselves.

He thinks that if Christ is real, and people really make Him the Lord of their lives and He comes into their soul or "heart" and possess them with the Holy Spirit than moral perfection or true consistent moral goodness will be automatic and be unavoidable.

I'm thinking about telling him that he might have the wrong idea about Christianity. Because the way I look at it, even when people become truely saved and truly believe that Christ will save them they will still on occasions sin and mess up.

Some more than others. I want to even tell him that even the apostles, the top Christian leaders from long ago to even today, even the Christian apologists that we all here admire still sin and mess up even as believers.

And then I would tell him that santification is a gradual process for most believers and is perfected after death when they are with Christ in heaven.

I was mostly wanting to know from you all if you all think this is a good answer? Anything I need to add or take away from it? Thank you for your time.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: Discussion I'm having with an agnostic about Christianit

Post by RickD »

That's a good, honest answer, cubeus. Christianity is about Christ. Who He is, what He has done, and what He will do. Keep the focus on Christ, not on imperfect people.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
CallMeDave
Valued Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by CallMeDave »

cubeus19 wrote:Hi guys, I've been talking with an agnostic who is interested in becoming a Chrsitian the problem he keeps having is, he doesn't think Christianity is real because of the fact that nearly all the Christians he has observed, all of them don't live up to Christ's commands, especially loving others as themselves.

He thinks that if Christ is real, and people really make Him the Lord of their lives and He comes into their soul or "heart" and possess them with the Holy Spirit than moral perfection or true consistent moral goodness will be automatic and be unavoidable.

I'm thinking about telling him that he might have the wrong idea about Christianity. Because the way I look at it, even when people become truely saved and truly believe that Christ will save them they will still on occasions sin and mess up.

Some more than others. I want to even tell him that even the apostles, the top Christian leaders from long ago to even today, even the Christian apologists that we all here admire still sin and mess up even as believers.

And then I would tell him that santification is a gradual process for most believers and is perfected after death when they are with Christ in heaven.

I was mostly wanting to know from you all if you all think this is a good answer? Anything I need to add or take away from it? Thank you for your time.

What your associate needs to understand, is, people who are Christians are at various levels of their commitment and Faith Walk with Christ . If he is running into Christians who havent had much time for the Holy Spirit to do an active work in their lives , then there wont be a startling change yet. Peoples backgrounds and experiences also has alot to do with this. God is working in the hearts of us all and the effectiveness and speed is dependent on many things , most of all, surrender to his sanctifying work at making us more like Christ. Another possibility is, that your Friend is grabbing at an excuse to not give his Life to Christ ...at least not at the current time . It is a possibility. Ive heard many reasons people give for not making the commitment. Lastly, I would indicate to him/her that EACH person must give account for what THEY did with Christ and Gods free undeserved offer of forgiveness of sins ; we cant ride on the coat-tails of Others nor can we say we didnt make the personal commitment because Others got our nose out of joint on the issue. We EACH must respond to the TRUTH of Christ dying for our sins , and that is ultimately what we will be tested on. Having said all that, Ill add that it is important for Christians to walk their talk because the populace IS watching.
"I never asserted such an absurd proposition, that something could arise without a Cause" -- staunch atheist Philosopher David Hume.

"What this world now needs is Christian love or compassion" -- staunch atheist Bertrand Russell.
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

cubeus19 wrote:Hi guys, I've been talking with an agnostic who is interested in becoming a Chrsitian the problem he keeps having is, he doesn't think Christianity is real because of the fact that nearly all the Christians he has observed, all of them don't live up to Christ's commands, especially loving others as themselves.
Well it sounds like he believes in Christianity more than he realises. Seems to have it down pat that no Christian lives up the Christ's commands. Can he name anyone who does? All have sinned and are falling short of the glory of God. He just needs the next part to that... (Romans 3:24)