People I love but they don't understand that I love them

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
Tina
Established Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

People I love but they don't understand that I love them

Post by Tina »

I have many friends that are not Christian. Whenever I see an opportunity to talk about God, I do. But lately they are starting to get frustrated with me. I found out that one thought that I was trying to "shove Christianity down her throat". I don't know how to express how concerned I am for their salvation. I don't want to lose my friends, but it seems the more I try to nudge them with words about God, the more they dislike me.
I just wish they could understand that I'm doing it because I love them. I don't want to stop trying, but I don't think they will ever listen, and I fear our friendship will be lost.

Please, can anyone give me some advice about this. It makes me sad to think about people I love not being able to go to Heaven. I don't want that to happen.
"Love others as I have loved you." -Jesus Christ
Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Re: People I love but they don't understand that I love them

Post by Danieltwotwenty »

Hi Tina

Evalgelism can take many forms, it is not just about telling them about God.
Love is an action word for example if you have a friend that is struggling financially maybe you could buy them some food or somtimes they just need an attentive ear.
Let them ask the questions and try to lead by example live you life in a way that is attuned with Christ's love for all mankind, you can't force someone to sit in a pew they must come of thier own volition.
Hope that is helpful.

Dan
Last edited by Danieltwotwenty on Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
1Tim1:15-17
Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his immense patience as an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life. Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever.Amen.
neo-x
Ultimate Member

Post by neo-x »

Tina,

I am afraid you are struggling with a similar issue that I had, once. But with time I have found that it is the love of God reflected through you that changes people. No amount of words can change a heart, only Christ can do that. So may be you are just looking at it from the wrong side. Breaking your friendships will earn you nothing, as a matter of fact what little they do know from you will be swept by bitterness as well. So step back, take a deep breath and stop telling them about God when they don't want to listen. Be like Christ, ask for his wisdom and apply it through your actions and not just words. Words can kill sometimes, even the apostle admitted it. Let the spirit of God guide you. Don't tell them or bring them to a point intentionally where you can just tell them about Christ, they will soon see what you are trying to do and will refrain from you. The point of evangelism is to win people for Christ, not push them away. I know there are people who may never want to hear the Gospel and those as well, not matter how Christ like you become, will not listen to you. This is sadly true and there is nothing you can do about it.
Unless they see a powerful presence of God in your life, they won't know any difference. The bible is not a magic formula that you can sprinkle over people and they would change. It is the love and grace of Christ. And you are the bearer of that. That is your best shot. Don't miss it.

Dan has given you good advice. So don't worry just go easy.
It would be a blessing if they missed the cairns and got lost on the way back. Or if
the Thing on the ice got them tonight.

I could only turn and stare in horror at the chief surgeon.
Death by starvation is a terrible thing, Goodsir, continued Stanley.
And with that we went below to the flame-flickering Darkness of the lower deck
and to a cold almost the equal of the Dante-esque Ninth Circle Arctic Night
without.

//johnadavid.wordpress.com
CallMeDave
Valued Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by CallMeDave »

Tina wrote:I have many friends that are not Christian. Whenever I see an opportunity to talk about God, I do. But lately they are starting to get frustrated with me. I found out that one thought that I was trying to "shove Christianity down her throat". I don't know how to express how concerned I am for their salvation. I don't want to lose my friends, but it seems the more I try to nudge them with words about God, the more they dislike me.
I just wish they could understand that I'm doing it because I love them. I don't want to stop trying, but I don't think they will ever listen, and I fear our friendship will be lost.

Please, can anyone give me some advice about this. It makes me sad to think about people I love not being able to go to Heaven. I don't want that to happen.

You have to understand why people get uptight when they are lovingly approached . The main reasons are :

1. It is a reminder that they are less than what they think they are in regards to being good.
2. It is an affront to their pride .
3. It is an affront to their desire for complete autonomy.
4. It is an affront to being Owned by someone who is more important and higher than they are.
5. Surrendering to God has implications to their chosen lifestyles .

It isnt up to us to convert a person, that job is Gods and he uses whatever seeds we are willing to plant in anothers life. There does come a point when throwing too much seed on the same person can become fruitless and its best to let that person come to you in the future since they know of your strong relationship with God . It may take a personal tragedy occuring before they will look you up.
"I never asserted such an absurd proposition, that something could arise without a Cause" -- staunch atheist Philosopher David Hume.

"What this world now needs is Christian love or compassion" -- staunch atheist Bertrand Russell.